Ken Jenne, enemy of "assault weapons," likely faces felony charges

This is a discussion on Ken Jenne, enemy of "assault weapons," likely faces felony charges within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since we mentioned Broward County Sheriff (well, politician , really) Ken Jenne in another thread, I figured I'd post this info since he is no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Jenne, enemy of "assault weapons," likely faces felony charges

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post Ken Jenne, enemy of "assault weapons," likely faces felony charges

Since we mentioned Broward County Sheriff (well, politician, really) Ken Jenne in another thread, I figured I'd post this info since he is no friend of gun owners. (Fortunately, in Florida, there isn't much he can do! : )

An article appeared in the 8/9/07 issue of The Palm Beach Post, though I did not see it on their website. (strange)

Jenne is being investigated by the IRS and prosecutors, who are building a tax-evasion case against him.

According to the article:

"...It becomes more likely that he will face the dim prospect of choosing between a felony plea deal or an indictment on charges related to more than $100,000 in unreported income, according to four sources with knowledge of the case."

"Jenne allegedly collected money from sheriff's office contractors and others without reporting it on his recent income tax returns... He also failed to report much of that outside income on his state ethics disclosure forms for 2002-06." (emphasis added)

"Jenne has long maintained that he committed no wrongdoing." (Yeah, sheriff, the IRS often wastes its time pursuing totally unfounded allegations to the point of bringing felony charges. They have nothing better to do. )

"IRS agents are assisting prosecutors as they continue to build a case that revolves around the following possible offenses: fraud, obstruction of justice and tax evasion, the sources said. He is suspected of using his office, which pays a $169,800-a-year salary, to enrich himself through private business relationships, including companies that lease buildings and sell services to his agency. The sheriff and his lawyer hope to arrange a plea to a lesser felony so that Jenne could limit his jail time, according to sources."

"Jenne's hopes of pleading to a misdemeanor charge, which would allow him to keep his lucrative pension and law license, were dashed long ago as the grand jury probed deeper into his personal finances, the sources said."

"If Jenne 60, pleads to a felony, he will lose his job, his pension and his law license."

I remember when this scumbag got himself on TV to demonize "assault weapons" with a fraudulent demonstration that faked how effective "semi-automatic assault weapons were." I don't remember the details (link help, someone?) but didn't it involve allegedly shooting at a cinderblock with an "AW" and some "non AW", and the AW was supposed to have destroyed the block, but the non-AW gun didn't do squat; and then it was proved that they hadn't even fired the other gun at the block? Something like that?

Anyway, I can't think of a nicer guy going to prison. Have a great time, Ken! South Florida LOVES YOU (... in prison, without a pension and without a penny to your name after the lawyers are through with you!)

2. Remove Ads

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    At least he won't be able to own a gun.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Sometimes, Just sometimes the justice system comes through for me :)

Well, if all this is true, then it could not be happening to a more deserving fellow.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a reprint from a Maimi Herald's article

IRS building its own case against Broward sheriff
    Sheriff Ken Jenne -- the subject of a two-year federal corruption probe -- now has another set of federal agents scrutinizing him.
    Posted on Thu, Aug. 09, 2007Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
    BY WANDA J. DeMARZO AND JAY WEAVER
    wdemarzo@MiamiHerald.com

As Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne faces the increasingly likely prospect of choosing between a felony plea deal and a possible indictment on charges related to more than $100,000 in unreported income, the Internal Revenue Service is burrowing into his financial records, according to four sources with knowledge of the case.

An IRS agent testified before a federal grand jury Tuesday in Fort Lauderdale about irregularities in Jenne's finances, the sources said. Prosecutors questioned the agent and other witnesses about how Jenne allegedly collected money from sheriff's office contractors and others without reporting it on his recent income-tax returns, several sources said. He also failed to report much of that outside income on his state ethics disclosure forms for 2002-06.

Jenne has long maintained that he committed no wrongdoing.

The U.S. attorney's office, IRS and Jenne's attorney, David Bogenschutz, declined to comment Wednesday.

The sources said IRS agents are assisting prosecutors as they continue to build a case that revolves around possible fraud, obstruction of justice and tax evasion. Jenne is suspected of using his office, which pays a $169,800 annual salary, to enrich himself through private business relationships -- including companies that lease buildings and sell services to his agency.

The sheriff and his attorney are hoping to arrange a plea to a lesser felony so Jenne could limit prison time, according to sources.

Jenne's hopes of pleading to a misdemeanor charge, which would allow him to keep his lucrative pension and law license, were dashed long ago as the grand jury probed deeper into his personal finances, the sources said. If Jenne, 60, pleads guilty to a felony, he will lose his job, his pension and law license.

An ethics professor at the University of Miami School of Law said Jenne's alleged conduct is troubling on two levels.

''Jenne's case is a twin failure of both internal governance controls and personal character,'' said Tony Alfieri, director of the UM law school's Center for Ethics & Public Service. ``That's doubly vexing for the community.''

Jenne's troubles with the law began in April 2005, when Gov. Jeb Bush ordered an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement following media reports about the sheriff's outside income as a security consultant.

But investigators uncovered more than moonlighting. They learned that he had received money and loans from his two secretaries -- and from a developer and vendors who have earned millions of dollars in business from BSO.

His two secretaries also are believed to have cashed in their accrued vacation and sick days in 2002 and 2004, handing over $10,000 to their boss that was never reported, according to several sources.

On Tuesday, the grand jury also heard from a witness who testified that South Florida developer Philip Procacci asked Jenne in 2002 to do some consulting work on a deal with a Fort Lauderdale-based company that claimed to have a product to remove impurities from oil.

Ara Toroyan, the former finance director for Procacci's Boca Raton-based business, testified about the venture in Louisiana.

Procacci invested almost $1 million in the company, Supertech Products, Toroyan's attorney, Leah Mayersohn, told The Miami Herald.

While Jenne invested no money, he did receive $10,000 from a go-between company, Toroyan told prosecutors. Mayersohn said prosecutors showed her client a copy of the check written to Jenne.

Mayersohn said Jenne was instrumental in helping Procacci get nearly all his money back after the deal failed.

The grand jury, which has been hearing testimony since February, could render a decision within the next few weeks -- unless Jenne cuts a plea deal first, sources said.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Off with his head! (when and if he's found guilty). Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    At least he won't be able to own a gun.
    You know, amazing as it would seem, that hadn't even occurred to me!

I'll throw a party the day he gets convicted or pleads guilty and becomes a felon, just to rejoice Jenne's loss of his right to keep and bear arms. He is one person who deserves to.

Assistant Administrator
    $169,800-a-year salary
    Wow - that much, and yet (allegedly) he has to siphon off more illegally - or at least not declare it.

Be interested to know later how this pans out - hoping too he has no useful ''friends'' to help him get off any of it.

He won't mind being gunless tho will he? I mean, he hates guns! (other people's probably).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OMG, just now on the local news they were doing a story about the 18-year veteran sheriff's deputy who was shot in Pompano Beach and killed.

None other than Ken Jenne was at a microphone speaking about oh how they are gonna get their man, blah blah blah, and I have to say, Ken Jenne is one of the UGLIEST I have ever seen!

MAN is that dude weird-lookin'! Mouth like a bass. Complexion like a slice of pepperoni. I guess like Dorian Gray's portrait, the guy's body is coming to resemble his corrupt soul.

VIP Member
    Finally on his way out

Aug 31, 2007 6:50 pm US/Eastern

BSO's Ken Jenne Faces Plea Deal Deadline
    (CBS4) FT. LAUDERDALE It might not be until Tuesday that Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne reaches a plea deal with federal prosecutors and even resigns his post regarding a corruption and tax evasion allegations.

According to our news partners at The Miami Herald, Jenne faced a deadline Friday to accept a plea deal and resign ahead of a possible indictment by a federal grand jury. But CBS4 News has learned that deadline could be extended until early next week because of the Labor Day holiday.

Earlier this week, former U.S. Attorney Thomas Scott joined Jenne’s longtime attorney, David Bogenschutz, in plea negotiations with prosecutors who are seeking a grand jury indictment on federal corruption and tax evasion charges.

Jenne’s lawyers have been trying to hammer out a plea deal that would spare Jenne jail time and save his pension and law license. Reports were published that his legal team would try to finalize the plea deal by the end of this week.

CBS4's Joan Murray caught up with Jenne's attorneys outside the courthouse Friday, but they were tight lipped about the matter.

The Miami Herald reports that if Jenne declines the deal, he could face a grand jury indictment on more serious fraud and money-laundering offenses.

If he agrees to the deal, Jenne would surrender to authorities and could serve a year in jail, stated The Herald. In addition, Jenne would have to pay back taxes and fines to the IRS.

It’s not known whether Jenne would lose his Florida Bar license and sheriff’s pension under the plea deal.

Former Governor Jeb Bush ordered the Jenne investigation in 2005 after allegations were made that the sheriff used his position to obtain contracts for his personal consulting business.

So far, taxpayers have paid more than $250 thousand in legal fees during the federal probe. Scott says Jenne is long time friend and he offered his help in the plea deal negotiations at no charge.

The grand jury's term on the investigation is due to expire Sept. 10.

lc

((© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed material for this report
    And just heard on the news the deal includes paying back taxes and a year in jail. They must have him by the....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

...balls...Yep...

What goes around, comes around! Losing his ability to have firearms will put him in the boat he wanted others to ride in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by the original article
    Jenne’s lawyers have been trying to hammer out a plea deal that would spare Jenne jail time and save his pension and law license. Reports were published that his legal team would try to finalize the plea deal by the end of this week.
    Formally corrupted his position, took under-the-table cash and kickbacks, lied and cheated just like any other ... and he thinks he's owed a full pension? Whether he keeps his law license is up to the Bar, not the prosecutors, I'd think. And I don't agree he should necessarily have his right to carry denied for the remainder of his natural life, since, in spite of the transgressions, he's not a violent felon.

Still, the spokes on the karma wheel can be sharp when that wheel turns 'round.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post

Sounds like a reprint from a Maimi Herald's article

His two secretaries also are believed to have cashed in their accrued vacation and sick days in 2002 and 2004, handing over $10,000 to their boss that was never reported, according to several sources.
    I wanna know what THAT'S all about. Why would his secretaries pay him $10,000?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It almost sounds like he's a cult leader if he got his secretaries to hand over $10 grand
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And I don't agree he should necessarily have his right to carry denied for the remainder of his natural life, since, in spite of the transgressions, he's not a violent felon.
    But I'd bet all I have that he supports exactly that for others when they are convicted of nonviolent felonies. So yeah, he absolutely does deserve that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links