NRA Board member against assault weapons

This is a discussion on NRA Board member against assault weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova I am and now I'm rolling in my filth of "I told ya so"'s for those now beginning to see the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NRA Board member against assault weapons

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I am and now I'm rolling in my filth of "I told ya so"'s for those now beginning to see the writing on the walls. I told them why they lost my membership a couple years back when they repeatedly called asking why I was no longer renewing or contributing. If they ever get their act together I might consider rejoining and contributing again, but I suspect that won't happen anytime soon.
    Without the NRA who do we have?

2. Remove Ads

Instead of dismissing Mr. Jackson...

I propose we should educate him. After all, I remember when the Jim Zumbo incident occured, and while everyone was calling for his head on a platter, I sent him an email showing him why the guns are so popular in the first place, and who was really driving the market for them. I sent him several links to websites like USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, etc. and showed him how many folks out there were customizing the rifles to fit a specific application such as competition and hunting. And along with that informatiion I sent him a cut out of a 3-shot group I had shot with my competition AR at 200 yards that you could have covered with a dime. I informed him that there were many more folks out there that used these weapons for self-defense and for sporting activities as well. In fact, I told him, as I would tell anyone that I will stack that AR up against any bolt gun in the accuracy and reliability department for hunting deer and other small game. The only difference being that my AR has a thirty round clip and has that "mean" look. So I say let's educate Joaquin Jackson instead of firing him. It is hard enough to find guys like him to begin with. I did notice a couple of months after the Zumbo incident, Ted Nugent took Jim out for a day and showed him many "black rifles" that were just as useful as any bolt gun for sporting activities.

Just my .02c

P.S. I am going to email him the same stuff I sent to Jim Zumbo; perhaps it can make a difference.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'm sure that, by now, the NRA is investigating this. After the fiasco with Mr. Zumbo a short time ago, they should be watching this very closely. This should be the case, even with a possible hoax.

I am a life member of NRA and I have read Joaquin Jackson's biography One Ranger and it is an excellent book. I think that he is a little behind the times and thinking of some of the people who shoot spray and pray weapons nowadays. I vote for board members as all life members are eligible to do. We know that whatever Joaquin Jackson feels he is a supporter of the second amendment. I imagine a lot of the older guys wonder why one needs the high capacity magazines. I have one pistol that is capable of 15 rounds but I do not own any guns in the Tec Nine class or any junk like that. Guns are not just for hunting and we must be clear on that. That does not mean everyone needs a street sweeper. I believe Mr. Jackson was stating the opinion of a guy, he is about my age 74, as to what he thinks about gun ownership. He is wrong but not a bad guy and I would not get too riled. Joaquin has served us well and it a very respected former Texas Ranger. He has faced down many criminals and I can see that he is thinking from a position of an LEO under fire.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    I am a life member of NRA and I have read Joaquin Jackson's biography One Ranger and it is an excellent book. I think that he is a little behind the times and thinking of some of the people who shoot spray and pray weapons nowadays. I vote for board members as all life members are eligible to do. We know that whatever Joaquin Jackson feels he is a supporter of the second amendment. I imagine a lot of the older guys wonder why one needs the high capacity magazines. I have one pistol that is capable of 15 rounds but I do not own any guns in the Tec Nine class or any junk like that. Guns are not just for hunting and we must be clear on that. That does not mean everyone needs a street sweeper. I believe Mr. Jackson was stating the opinion of a guy, he is about my age 74, as to what he thinks about gun ownership. He is wrong but not a bad guy and I would not get too riled. Joaquin has served us well and it a very respected former Texas Ranger. He has faced down many criminals and I can see that he is thinking from a position of an LEO under fire.
    I understand your point and also where Mr Jackson is coming from, even if he IS wrong. Lots of LEO's (especially younger ones) have got to stop thinking its us vs them WE are not the bad guys! The bad guys are the bad guys. One of my best friends and field testers is a 12yr SWAT veteran and is currently a detecive, he is one of the most ardent supporters of military style weapons in civilian hands that I know, quite the opposite of Mr Jackson.

I mean no disrespect to Mr Jackson and he actaully still has my respect as a retired TR, but he is wrong on that point.

Since it has been pointed out that the vid was originally from 2005 (which I missed intially) can anyone enilighten us, is this a re-run or just one of those things that is still posted on an old site?
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

it's a wonder they haven't taken all of our weapons already, with enemies amongst our ranks like that.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    Without the NRA who do we have?
    the ACLU!

oh wait, never mind.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I have written the NRA concerning this. Whenever they respond, if they do, I will post their answer.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    We know that whatever Joaquin Jackson feels he is a supporter of the second amendment. I imagine a lot of the older guys wonder why one needs the high capacity magazines. I have one pistol that is capable of 15 rounds but I do not own any guns in the Tec Nine class or any junk like that. Guns are not just for hunting and we must be clear on that. That does not mean everyone needs a street sweeper.
    Perhaps not, but everyone does need the ability to own one if they so desire. You may not choose to own one, and that's perfectly ok. I might not either, but if someone wants to hang an authentic "trench broom" on their wall, they should be able to.

I'm sorry, but I do question Mr. Jackson's support of the second amendment, just as I would question someone who said the first amendment only protects the right of free speech over a 56k internet connection, but government agencies can use fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    the ACLU!

oh wait, never mind.

Well said Sam. I appreciate you sticking up for someone who has served us as a LEO.

The problem is the anti gun crowd is much like the Borg (Star Trek if you are not familiar) we keep giving up ground and they keep taking ground.

Last I knew they were after 30 rnd mags in favor of 10......now it is 5??. The next move will be none... In many places in this country you cannot even have a firearm for home defense no matter what the capacity.

Katrina taught us a very good lesson on how fast the government will show up to protect us....they won't. For those of us who live near a big city, just take a moment to think what would happen if one of those cities were hit by a terrorist with a dirty bomb. Mobs of homeless people roaming the suburbs, desperate !!......

One look at Katrina and you'll know what it would be like. The 2nd amendment is not about hunting and if the NRA is going that direction we better nip it in the bud or it will spread like cancer.

We are not talking about some employee here. We are talking about someone at the highest level of that organization.

With all due respect to his prior service, releasing Jackson from the board would make the NRAs position very clear.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I'm sorry, but I do question Mr. Jackson's support of the second amendment, just as I would question someone who said the first amendment only protects the right of free speech over a 56k internet connection, but government agencies can use fiber.
    I agree +1.
    I tried to find out if he's still on the board of the NRA but couldn't find anything on that. I don't know if this has been resolved since it's over two years old but I do find it unsettling that an ex Texas Ranger has this view.

i do not understand why this guy was elected to the NRA board. Yes, NRA members vote for these guys. He was up for re-election this year. Guess that this validates my never voting for a cop for the NRA board.

I had not realized this was two years old.....but still...

I did receive this response from the NRA today:
    This is in response to your e-mail concerning the 2005 interview with NRA Board member H. Joaquin Jackson. At Mr. Jackson’s requested I have attached his response to the inquiries my office has received. I hope this clarifies Mr. Jackson statements concerning his interview.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Land Jr.,

NRA Secretary

The attachment:

STATEMENT OF JOAQUIN JACKSON

Recently, some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview in which I participated a few years ago. After recently watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine. And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment.

In the interview, when asked about my views of “assault weapons,” I was talking about true assault weapons – fully automatic firearms. I was not speaking, in any way, about semiautomatic rifles. While the media may not understand this critical distinction, I take it very seriously. But, as a result, I understand how some people may mistakenly take my comments to mean that I support a ban on civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms. Nothing could be further from the truth. And, unfortunately, the interview was cut short before I could fully explain my thoughts and beliefs.

In fact, I am a proud owner of such rifles, as are millions of law-abiding Americans. And many Americans also enjoy owning fully automatic firearms, after being cleared by a background check and meeting the rigorous regulations to own such firearms. And these millions of lawful gun owners have every right – and a Second Amendment right – to own them.

As a hunter, I take great pride in my marksmanship. Every hunter should practice to be skilled to take prey with a single shot, if possible. That represents ethical, humane, skilled hunting. In the interview several years ago, I spoke about this aspect of hunting and my belief that no hunter should take the field and rely upon high capacity magazines to take their prey.

But that comment should never be mistaken as support for the outright banning of any ammunition magazines. In fact, such bans have been pursued over the years by state legislatures and the United States Congress and these magazine bans have always proven to abject failures.

Let me be very clear. As a retired Texas Ranger, during 36 years of law enforcement service, I was sworn to uphold the United States Constitution. As a longtime hunter and shooter, an NRA Board Member, and as an American – I believe the Second Amendment is a sacred right of all law-abiding Americans and, as I stated in the interview in question, I believe it is the Second Amendment that ensures all of our other rights handed down by our Founding Fathers.

I have actively opposed gun bans and ammunition and magazine bans in the past, and I will continue to actively oppose such anti-gun schemes in the future.

I appreciate my friends who have brought this misunderstanding to light, for it has provided me an opportunity to alleviate any doubts about my strong support for the NRA and our Second Amendment freedom.

I need to watch the video again.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    I had not realized this was two years old.....but still...

I did receive this response from the NRA today:
    This is in response to your e-mail concerning the 2005 interview with NRA Board member H. Joaquin Jackson. At Mr. Jackson’s requested I have attached his response to the inquiries my office has received. I hope this clarifies Mr. Jackson statements concerning his interview.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Land Jr.,

NRA Secretary

The attachment:

[I]STATEMENT OF JOAQUIN JACKSON

Recently, some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview in which I participated a few years ago. After recently watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine. And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment.

In the interview, when asked about my views of “assault weapons,” I was talking about true assault weapons – fully automatic firearms. I was not speaking, in any way, about semiautomatic rifles. While the media may not understand this critical distinction, I take it very seriously. But, as a result, I understand how some people may mistakenly take my comments to mean that I support a ban on civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms. Nothing could be further from the truth. And, unfortunately, the interview was cut short before I could fully explain my thoughts and beliefs....
    Link to the above statement referenced by mad max: http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=9899

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links