NRA Board member against assault weapons

This is a discussion on NRA Board member against assault weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "I will respectfully wait until the dismissal of Mr. Joaquin Jackson before becoming a paying member and ardent supporter of your organization. Please feel free ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NRA Board member against assault weapons

"I will respectfully wait until the dismissal of Mr. Joaquin Jackson before becoming a paying member and ardent supporter of your organization. Please feel free to advise me of this occurrence and count on my immediate reciprocation of a paid membership in
    kind."

Get comfortable and prepare to wait awhile. No board member of the NRA is going to be fired. These guys and gals are ELECTED. They choose the NRA president. The next chance to get the guy off the board is in the election in 2010. No, i did not vote for Jackson.

This situation with Jackson calls up the fact that we need to make informed choices when we vote for NRA board members. Do a little research before voting for an NRA board member.

2. Remove Ads

Get comfortable and prepare to wait awhile.
    Seems to me the membership has already gotten too comfortable.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    I imagine a lot of the older guys wonder why one needs the high capacity magazines. I have one pistol that is capable of 15 rounds but I do not own any guns in the Tec Nine class or any junk like that. Guns are not just for hunting and we must be clear on that. That does not mean everyone needs a street sweeper. .
    Ummm This I think is the problem right here. What gun owners don't realize is we are all on the same Team!!! It doesn't matter if I'm a Trap shooter, or a member of the .50 caliber shooting society, or a tactical 3 gun shooter, IPSC shooter, or Bulleyes shooter, or knob creek enthuisist. WE ALLL Bleed when one of us is hurt, maybe not now, but we will end up bleeding. I also think that when one is hurt and the others scoffs are nose up about how we disagree with their recreational choices, its only a matter of time before our recreational choices are gone as well. Its Incrementalism. That is how you win a war. Take one peace of land, one state at a time eventally you'll have the whole country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    .That does not mean everyone needs a street sweeper.
    I disagree with you HIGHLY your taking the same streamline approach that most anti's do stating certain things are unacceptable and not "For SPORTING REASONS", Well the Sport I defend is the one that says I have the RIGHT to these base on fear from a tyranical government, not that I shouldn't have it because, I "have the capability of mowing down a heard of deer"

I also am not judging an entire organzation based on the opinion of one man texas ranger or not, or canning my allegiance based on something one man said.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

"I also think that when one is hurt and the others scoffs are nose up about how we disagree with their recreational choices, its only a matter of time before our recreational choices are gone as well. Its Incrementalism."

Bingo. It ain't about hunting.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That was a horrible attempt at backpeddling. It was perfectly clear that the interviewer was referring to semi-auto EBR's with the term "assault weapons."

No matter how correct Mr. Jackson might be about the mis-classification of semi-auto rifles, would have to have had his head under a rock for the last 20yrs to think he was being asked about actual full-auto assault rifles.

Trying to act like he was confused only insults our intelligence. I hope he gets more email condemning his "explanation" than he did about the original interview. (I know he'll get mine).

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Added a letter to the stack

I'm writing in response to Joaquin Jackson's statement, posted 8/15/07, dealing with his 2005 interview with Texas Monthly.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=9899

Even with all the respect due a former Texas Ranger, I cannot suspend disbelief long enough to take Mr. Jackson's "explanation" at face value.

Anyone remotely involved in gun politics knows that the term "assault weapons" is well on its way to being re-defined to include any "scary-looking" gun, regardless of how it functions. The interviewer was clearly referring to semi-automatic rifles with his question, despite his incorrect nomenclature.

I'm relieved to see that Mr. Jackson at least understands what real assault weapons are, but to try to say that he was talking about full-auto weapons in that interview is, quite honestly, an insult to the intelligence of the NRA's supporters and gun-owners in general.

Rather than taking the opportunity to educate the interviewer and the audience about real assault weapons, Mr. Jackson stated that firearms (he did not qualify this with full-auto, semi-auto, rifles, handguns, or anything else) should have no more than 5 rounds capacity, perpetuated the myth that the second amendment is intended to only protect hunting, and finished it off by furthering the notion that military and law enforcement personel are somehow entitled to better arms than the people in general.

Trying to defend these comments from a pro-2A position is pointless. I hope Mr. Jackson will take a lesson from Jim Zumbo, who made similar statements, but later published a sincere apology and retraction, acknowledging his mistaken reasoning. Gun owners tend to be reasonable and understanding people, but we have a low tolerance for bull-hockey.

Thank you for taking the time to read my comments. The NRA is a strong resource in the preservation of our 2nd Amendment rights, and I trust it will continue to stand up for our liberties at every opportunity.

Sincerely,
    Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Added a letter to the stack
    Well written....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Ummm This I think is the problem right here. What gun owners don't realize is we are all on the same Team!!! It doesn't matter if I'm a Trap shooter, or a member of the .50 caliber shooting society, or a tactical 3 gun shooter, IPSC shooter, or Bulleyes shooter, or knob creek enthuisist. WE ALLL Bleed when one of us is hurt, maybe not now, but we will end up bleeding. I also think that when one is hurt and the others scoffs are nose up about how we disagree with their recreational choices, its only a matter of time before our recreational choices are gone as well. Its Incrementalism. That is how you win a war. Take one peace of land, one state at a time eventally you'll have the whole country.

I disagree with you HIGHLY your taking the same streamline approach that most anti's do stating certain things are unacceptable and not "For SPORTING REASONS", Well the Sport I defend is the one that says I have the RIGHT to these base on fear from a tyranical government, not that I shouldn't have it because, I "have the capability of mowing down a heard of deer"

I also am not judging an entire organzation based on the opinion of one man texas ranger or not, or canning my allegiance based on something one man said.
    In regard to your last statement.

Do you still work at the NRA HQ Training Dept ?

This person is not just a member but on the NRA HQ Board of Directors. Media and Anti-2A, will view this as the NRA HQ viewpoint not just his viewpoint.

What is the NRA stance on Citizens owning fully automatic firearms ? Is the NRA working to cancel the law from the 1930's against ownership of fully automatica firearms without a permit ? Which law the NRA support passage of in the 1930's. Has the NRA HQ seen the error of it's ways - Incrementalism.

That is how you LOSE a war. GIVE UP one peace of land, one state at a time eventally you'll LOSE the whole country.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    In regard to your last statement.

Do you still work at the NRA HQ Training Dept ?

This person is not just a member but on the NRA HQ Board of Directors. Media and Anti-2A, will view this as the NRA HQ viewpoint not just his viewpoint.

What is the NRA stance on Citizens owning fully automatic firearms ? Is the NRA working to cancel the law from the 1930's against ownership of fully automatica firearms without a permit ? Which law the NRA support passage of in the 1930's. Has the NRA HQ seen the error of it's ways - Incrementalism.

That is how you LOSE a war. GIVE UP one peace of land, one state at a time eventally you'll LOSE the whole country.
    Your siege mentality, give all back or else, doesn't work either you have to fight incrementalism the same way. What would have happened if in WWII we went straight for japan? If you hate an organzination so much why do use so much of what that organzation has done for you. Most of your guns you have you probably wouldn't have if not for the NRA. The AWB do you have any recently purchased high capacity magazines (Now standard Capacity)? You disagree so much just go ahead and give those back. Every state that has carry permits NRA was instrumental in getting permits to those states. Don't believe me? pull the cases do your own reasearch and see who those lobbiest where. DC Gun ban? What just happened in DC? Dont' believe me do a little reasearch check out who the lawyers are and who they really are? You maybe shocked? Katrina I didn't see alot of other organzations do actually anything. NRA was trampling through the mud filing law suits. I understand your active in your views thats good, but don't jump to conclussions when you really dont' know whos who or understand whats going on. As far as NRA's opinion on machine guns. Ask NRA-ILA.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

This is one of the reasons I have not renewed my NRA membership. I let it lapse and I doubt I will be renewing it.

I did however renew my GOA membership. They do not compromise. I really like that about GOA. And they seem to be more organized and they don't beg their members for money like NRA does.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There are some things that the NRA should not waste time and energy on. One of them is the repeal of the 1934 and 1968 gun control acts. Yes, both of these gun control laws were knee jerk reactions by congress, FDR and Johnson. Neither were needed. No, neither is ever going to go away.

We just went through about six years of conservative government at the federal level. The Republicans controlled the white house and both houses of congress. This was about as good as it is ever going to get: The AWB did go away just like it was supposed to. They did pass universal carry for law enforcement folks only and made gun makers immune from frivilous law suits. The Republican congress did not see fit to pass country wide carry for us regular folks.

The administrative restrictions on the importation of firearms put in place by Bush I and Bill Clinton still remain in place 6.5 years after George Bush was elected.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I did however renew my GOA membership. They do not compromise. I really like that about GOA. And they seem to be more organized and they don't beg their members for money like NRA does.

And they get nowhere of significance, and they get laughed out of the Washington halls of power, and they are easily seen as fringe element wackos by the majority fo the nation.

Seriously, the GOA has a place and that place is to be the constant hyper active Chihuahua that barks at ever person who passes by the house or in their case the 2A. They may wake up the homeowner but they are not really going to defend anything. The NRA is the sleeping 200# Mastiff that when aroused must be taken seriously. Put them together and you have a great combination. Even apart the Mastiff's presence acts as a mighty deterrent while the Chihuahua is just a lot of noise and a yellow puddle on the floor.

No offense meant to any Chihuahua owners out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    This is one of the reasons I have not renewed my NRA membership. I let it lapse and I doubt I will be renewing it.

This is really what we don't want to see. I hope this threat does not become a boycott thread but instead a call to action. Not being a member is like not voting in political elections...you just loose your voice.

What we need to do is be more proactive and pay better attention to how these organizations represent us. I personally would urge everyone to retain, renew or purchase a membership to the NRA. Then write to them about how you feel.

As I said before I will be purchasing a membership and they will hear from me ......

I have not heard of GOA what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    The NRA is the sleeping 200# Mastiff that when aroused must be taken seriously.
    Well put......all the more reason to make usre it does not bite the hand that feeds it.....

My brother thanks you

And they get nowhere of significance, and they get laughed out of the Washington halls of power, and they are easily seen as fringe element wackos by the majority fo the nation.

Seriously, the GOA has a place and that place is to be the constant hyper active Chihuahua that barks at ever person who passes by the house or in their case the 2A. They may wake up the homeowner but they are not really going to defend anything. The NRA is the sleeping 200# Mastiff that when aroused must be taken seriously. Put them together and you have a great combination. Even apart the Mastiff's presence acts as a mighty deterrent while the Chihuahua is just a lot of noise and a yellow puddle on the floor.

Well said. I am a member of GOA (did I renew? uh, oh, better check because I need to remain a member) and a Life Member of the NRA. One problem with the various gun organizations is that they don't work and play well with others.

You never see the NRA or GOA praising the efforts of the other. Why? because the other takes away contribution dollars. Too bad but that's a fact of life.

The GOA is a valuable organization if for no other reason than all of its yapping wakes up the Mastiff. I don't think you will find very many GOA victories where the NRA wasn't moving around in the background flexing its muscle.

Like any organization, the NRA sometimes becomes a victim of its own size. The leadership becomes somewhat isolated. But if 4.5 million members speak, they will listen.

I have talked to Chris Cox at the range and he seem to honestly want to hear what the members have to say. If we don't like what is going on, let's tell 'em.

I hope members will try working within the organization instead of quitting.

Whether you like the NRA or not, without them we wouldn't be talking about losing our 2nd Amendment rights, we would be remembering what it used to be like when we had them long ago.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links