Gun Control Lobby is Working: FFL's on the decline

This is a discussion on Gun Control Lobby is Working: FFL's on the decline within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An article on the significant decline in Gun Dealers as a result of BS laws. The article ran in several McClatchy newspapers, the link is ...

Thread: Gun Control Lobby is Working: FFL's on the decline

An article on the significant decline in Gun Dealers as a result of BS laws. The article ran in several McClatchy newspapers, the link is to the Fresno Bee

Article here
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

It is just a shame that the Federal Government is more proficient at shutting down law abiding gun dealers than it is at shutting down Drug Dealers.

Every day I am amazed more and more about how far backward we as a country are sliding.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its not a matter of any new laws , It is a matter of batfe run amok from the top down . go here http://waronguns.blogspot.com/ or google Reds and BATFE .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    The loss of FFL's trend is regretably a far from recent phenomenon. I haven't checked but it has been an almost exponential seeming slide since the sixties.

I feel less than happy every time I hear of (yet) another dealer closing down - and that is certainly more apparent now. I do think a portion of the reasons could be as well - the effects of internet trading, and so for some of the smaller guys they just sadly have not had enough business to carry on.

Most tho I fear have succumbed due to the increase in law craziness... and yeah as RR mentions ... the ''BATFE effect''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    You can thank Bill & Hitlery for this one. They pushed changing the rules for holding a FFL, they made it VERY DIFFICULT for people to get or keep them.

These rule changes forced 'kitchen table' dealers out. These were people like you & me who held the FFL to obtain guns for themselves or friends & made it so that you needed a business to be able to keep it.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/tupseven.htm
    The Number of Federal Firearms License Holders Begins to Decrease

It is important to note the emergence over the past few years of a new variable in the future of gun shows. Beginning in 1994 there has been a dramatic decrease in the number of Federal Firearm Licenses issued and renewed by the federal government. When President Clinton took office in 1993, there were more than 245,000 Americans holding Type 1 Federal Firearms Licenses. Because of changes in the management of the licensing procedure made by the Clinton Administration and due in large part to changes in federal law related to gun dealers, by February 1996 the number of Type 1 Federal Firearms Licenses had plummeted to 142,220.33

That the drop in the number of federally licensed dealers may have a long-term impact on the volume of gun shows has also been noted by some industry insiders. Bill McCaughtry, editor of Gun tests magazine, wrote in the February 1996 issue, "Gun show producers concede that lots of their exhibitors have dropped out of the weekend circuit as a result of license reduction program [sic]. They expect more to do so before all is said and done." McCaughtry quoted Bob Templeton, director of the National Association of Arms Shows, as saying, "The reduction in licensees is the most insidious long-term and short-term problem we face."
    In August 1993 President Clinton issued a Presidential Memorandum directing ATF to "take whatever steps are necessary, to the extent permitted by law, to ensure compliance with present licensing requirements...." These included: the development of a more comprehensive application form; improving the thoroughness and effectiveness of background checks; and expansion of cooperative agreements between ATF and state and local enforcement authorities. That November, as part of the Brady waiting period law, the dealer fee was raised from $30 for three years to $200 for three years ($90 for three years for renewals). Then, in September 1994, the federal crime bill codified many of the reforms contained in the 1993 Presidential Memorandum. It also required that: all licensees comply with state and local laws and inform the local chief law enforcement officer that they intend to apply for a Federal Firearms License; all licensees report to ATF all firearm thefts or losses; and that ATF notify state and local jurisdictions of all persons to whom a firearms license has been issued.
    http://www.davekopel.com/NRO/Erasing...ton-Legacy.htm
    ......When a person buys a gun from a retail dealer, the dealer is required to fill out the federal Form 4473, which contains a record on the gun buyer's identity, and the model and serial number of the gun. According to current federal law, the forms may be inspected at any time pursuant to a law-enforcement investigation. The forms may also be inspected as part of annual administrative review of a gun dealer's compliance with record-keeping requirements. Gun dealers are required to retain the forms for 20 years. When a gun dealer goes out of business, he must send the forms to BATFE. Under the Clinton administration, BATFE began creating computerized records of the forms from retired dealers......

.....The "Tiahrt Amendment" was added in committee to BATFE's appropriations bill during the summer. The most important missing provision from the Tiahrt amendment was a provision to stop BATFE from denying Federal Firearms Licenses (which are required for all gun dealers) to people who operate small businesses selling guns from their homes. These small businesses are typically a second incomes for a dealers.

Because these "kitchen-table dealers" are more likely to know their customers personally, they are often willing to spend a lot of time with a customer. Accordingly, kitchen-table dealers are especially well suited to finding an appropriate gun for the buyer, and at directing the buyer to suitable firearms instruction. Compared to large, store-front dealers, the kitchen-table dealers are less likely to inadvertently sell a gun to a criminal who is using false identification, since the kitchen-table dealers know their customers long before a driver's license is displayed.

Under the Clinton administration, BATFE (then, BATF) drove most kitchen-table dealers out of business. Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen's rationale was not that the kitchen-table dealers were a crime problem. Rather, by eliminating tens of thousands of dealers, BATF would have fewer dealers to inspect. Then BATF could better concentrate inspections on the larger, store-front dealers.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Its ironic that the "Stocking Dealers" approved of the measures to shut down the "Kitchen Table Dealers" not realizing it would turn around and

I had some experience with this phenomena....

Because I had an FFL between 1987-1994. My primary reason for having the license was to obtain firearms and supplies for me and my shooting buddies at dealer pricing. back then we were shooting a lot of 3-gun matches and IPSC, so it made financial sense for several of us to have FFLs. Things were OK until 1993 when Clinton took office. When I met with the ATF prior to Clinton, I knew the Agents personally, and even got one of them into IPSC shooting; When Clinton was elected I recieved a call from the agent I got into IPSC shooting advising me to "be very very careful" when I went to renew my license later that year. I asked why, and he told me that everything had changed down at the BATFE; The agency had been directed by the White house to target the "home dealers", or the guys like me that were operating businesses out of their homes. Sure enough, when I showed up for renewal time, I was informed that I would have to have some place of business in order to renew my license; My own home was not acceptable. My protests regarding the cost of doing so fell on deaf ears. The explanation I got from them was that I could be selling guns to gang members or drug dealers. My response to them was to look at the records I provided them and see exaclty who I was selling firearms to. they would find out that all of the firearms would have been sold to my fellow competitiors, many of whom were commissioned peace officers; Cops to us layman. Again, the BATFE agents didn't seem to care about this. the fee increase at the time really didn't bother me, because at the time I was already saving several thousand dollars a year by having an FFL. What bothered me was the obvious harassement I was recieving at the hands of a government agency. At the end of the renewal interview, I was told rather rudely that times were changing and that "I needed to find another hobby". I let my license expire in February of 1994, and haven't missed the headache since.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Sponsored Links