Comparing guns to cars.

This is a discussion on Comparing guns to cars. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One often cited argument for greater restrictions on firearms ownership is the registration and operator licensing of motor vehicles. Many will conclude that since we ...

Thread: Comparing guns to cars.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Comparing guns to cars.

One often cited argument for greater restrictions on firearms ownership is the registration and operator licensing of motor vehicles. Many will conclude that since we can do it for cars, we can do it for guns.

First let's talk about a driver's license. A driver's license permits a person to operate certain motor vehicles on public roads.

A person who does not drive on public roads requires no license. Many vehicles are not permitted on public roads and therefore require no license to operate. Other vehicles (such as bicycles) are allowed but still require no license. A license is not required to drive on private property. No license is required to own any motor vehicle, just to operate certain vehicles under certain conditions.

Applying this criteria to guns, we can conclude that no license would be required to own a firearm, or operate one on private property.

Licenses could be issued to operate a firearm in public, but might only be required for certain types of firearms. Other firearms might not be allowed to be operated in public at all.

BB and pellet guns pose little danger so like bicycles and roller skates, should require no license to shoot in public. Anything using powder would need a license to fire in public. Laws would of course be in place to ensure safe shooting in public (wear safety equipment, signal your intentions, right of way, etc)

Other weapons that are unsafe to operate in public should also have no license. Since minibikes aren't street legal, one shouldn't fire a full auto Uzi in a shopping center (way to dangerous). Exceptions are of course made. Streets are sometimes blocked off for parades or road construction, thereby allowing typically unauthorized vehicles to operate.

It should also be noted, that a person may be in possession of a vehicle in public, without any license required. They can even have the means to operate said vehicle (i.e. the keys) and fuel. They only stipulation is that they aren't permitted to drive it there. Compared to firearms, this would mean anyone can carry a loaded gun ready to fire, and they would only break the law if they pulled the trigger without a license (other crimes not withstanding). Driving without a license is a relatively minor offense and is generally excusable in an emergency (escaping a flood, or seeking urgent medical care for example). Comparatively, shooting a person is against the law, but self defense is a valid legal justification.

Registration again is only for certain vehicles that are to be used on public roads. To drive on private property, or just to own a vehicle requires no registration. Skateboards and go carts need no registration. So why register firearms that aren't going to be fired in public except in emergencies?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    "One often cited argument for greater restrictions on firearms ownership is the registration and operator licensing of motor vehicles. Many will conclude that since we can do it for cars, we can do it for guns. "

NO WE CAN'T

Theres also a bigger problem. The first 10 amendments said NOTHING about automobiles, horses, buggies, carts, mules, camels, or elephants.

This argument is deeply flawed when I hear the other side try and use it.

1) Driving is a priveledge, NOT a BORN RIGHT as an amercan citizen you have no legal Rigt to drive a car.

2) Cars are used for purposes that have absolutly O correlation with guns (except for jeff gordon and the recreation part). You drive a car to get you From point A to B. Guns are used for recreation, survival, and Protection. Cars are a luxery item and actually do not apply to survival, and protection.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

No, because the 2nd amendment is about a militia remember?

My intent was to counter specific anti-self defense argument. I may have to expand upon it some more.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    No, because the 2nd amendment is about a militia remember?

My intent was to counter specific anti-self defense argument. I may have to expand upon it some more.
    No it is not.

Please read up on the grammatical breakdown of the 2A.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30623
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    This comparison has been around a while........

Taking It to the Streets
    Why treating guns like cars might not be such a bad idea.

David B. Kopel | November 1999

http://www.reason.com/news/show/31170.html
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Also, along the same lines :

TREATING GUNS LIKE CONSUMER PRODUCTS
    http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/T...nsLikeCars.htm

This is worth the time to read!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    No it is not.

Please read up on the grammatical breakdown of the 2A.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=30623
    Easy friend, it was sarcasm (although poorly labeled I admit).

goaway, thanks for the links. Further proof that there are no new ideas.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Easy friend, it was sarcasm (although poorly labeled I admit).

goaway, thanks for the links. Further proof that there are no new ideas.
    Sorry about that
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

BAC
    Rights vs. Privileges notwithstanding, I think it's still a thoughtful counter-argument to people addressing cars and guns as being similar. I liked it, even if I don't agree with its premise.

We've got a lot of work to do to correct the gun control problem of this country. Changing the hearts and minds of the people's going to be the ony way to do it, so keeping in mind arguments like this is a lot like keeping different kinds of ammunition or tools in the toolbox. Useful for very specific situations.

-B

Intent is as a backup counter argument. I think we all agree that self defense and thereby weapons ownership and use is a self evident right.

We have to educate to affect opinion. People respond differently to different types of education. Analogy is often effective.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Links