A Daily Dose

This is a discussion on A Daily Dose within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to admit, I'm a political/policy junkie that longs for the days long since when the people in elected office stood for something and ...

Thread: A Daily Dose

A Daily Dose

I have to admit, I'm a political/policy junkie that longs for the days long since when the people in elected office stood for something and more of them spent time following the law instead of breaking it. CALL ME OLD FASHION!

Anyway, one thing I do almost daily is get a dose of political wisdom from those who have gone before us. I decided that from time to time I might share the ones that I find discussion worthy with my comrades. They won't always be specifically gun related, but since we are all certified and self diagnosed gun nuts here I thought I would start with a classic gun quote. Feel free to comment.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    I cannot fault that statement in the least - but I am sure Brady and Co would be able to pick holes in it - to somehow add to their control issues.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    A good quote. Cuts right to the core of the argument the 2A supporters make. And, Chris, I think the only holes the Brady Bunch can pick in this would be emotional ones, because, logically, it's foolproof.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I'm a history NUT. I love reading about history & really love our country's history.

The quote above is really interesting when you consider that Cesare Beccaria wrote this in 1764. He was also a criminologist. By reading that quote you can tell that they were fighting the same fight we are fighting today. Gun control has been around a long, LONG, LONG time.

I'll add another quote as well:
    "Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)
    (p.s. A lot of my previous posts have included many different quotes.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    A good quote. Cuts right to the core of the argument the 2A supporters make. And, Chris, I think the only holes the Brady Bunch can pick in this would be emotional ones, because, logically, it's foolproof.
    Exactly what I was thinking. They may be able to pick it apart. They just won't be able to do it using logic.

Good quote. I like that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    They just won't be able to do it using logic.
    Not that they ever do anyway.

That's a good quote. Thanks.

Links