Disturbing privacy issue for OR permits

This is a discussion on Disturbing privacy issue for OR permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in Washington state, and I started looking into what it would take to pick up an Oregon permit. This statement on the Douglas ...

I live in Washington state, and I started looking into what it would take to pick up an Oregon permit.

This statement on the Douglas County application caught my eye:

"* The information that you disclose on this document may be subject to public disclosure under the Oregon Public Records Act. Douglas County does not guarantee that your information can or will be kept confidential."

Are they serious?!

Name, Sex, Race, All Other Names Used Past/Present, DOB, State of birth, U.S. Citizen?, Height, Weight, Eye color, Hair color, DRIVER'S LICENSE NUMBER, ***SSN***, Street address, mailing address, place of employement, home phone, work phone, character references, addresses and phones.

Incredible. Talk about a bonanza for ID thieves, burglars and that stalker you were trying to get away from.

Unbelievable.

-john

Interestingly, there does not appear to be this type of statement on the Clackamas Co. application.

Douglas County has nothing to do with it. Nor does any other Oregon county. It's the state legislature that authorizes the information as public and available. Most counties, however, apply some judicious brain power to deciding what to release. For example, I have yet to see any wholesale dropping of names in a list in the newspaper. Dollar to a donut that you'd have to be LEO to justify why all that underlying info (DOB, SSN, Oregon DL #, etc) would be required, though I have yet to see any specific statute requiring that. Welcome to Oregon. Not nearly as foolish as some places, though this is a clear hole to be plugged.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I can't say that I know for sure, but I thought that any agency or company that requires you to divulge your social security number is legally obligated to protect it from theft or exposure.

This sounds like grounds for a federal LAWSUIT, actually. That's like a bank saying that you can deposit your money, but they can't be responsible for making sure that it actually gets locked away from anyone who might want to just take some of it. But worse.

Links