U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

This is a discussion on U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am very curious about your response to the article below. http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...rpc=22&sp=true U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people Tue Aug 28, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

I am very curious about your response to the article below.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...rpc=22&sp=true

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 PM ET

By Laura MacInnis

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens
    Disappointing...I pledge to not quit buying firearms until that number is 100 for every 100...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Well - it's start

No big surprises there
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

while I doubt the numbers are very accurate, I would still suggest one to look at the following correlation between peoples' freedoms and gun ownership:

US 90/100
    Western Europe 30/100 to 50/100
    China 3/100

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    It would be a good idea for anyone wanting to do us harm to look at these stats - of course some of us account for more than others.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I can't help but wonder what the figures would look like in some of the other countries if firearm ownership wasn't restricted (or banned). Does it really surprise anyone that private individuals in China don't have weapons? If they did, how would their government survive? The same applies to other countries run by dictators.

Meaningless survey, but I pledge to continue doing my part to boost that 90.

Where is Israel?? Don't they have 100% firearms ownership, with 0% crime. (I suppose they don't count children). And I didn't think China allowed any privately owned arms at all.

snip
    The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals
    snip

Ah, there is the problem right there. Lies. Damn Lies, and Statistics.
    Can't trust any of those sources.!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    Disappointing...I pledge to not quit buying firearms until that number is 100 for every 100...
    I think I upped our collective % this month.

I'm doing my part to keep the U.S. in 1st place.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I'm buying the wife her first gun today so you can add us to the list of those who are doing their part to increase the %.

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

BAC
    Amen.

-B

Great so what will I use as an excuse with the wife when we reach 100 for every 100

And to borrow and alter a line from the Nick Cage movie:
    "And the question is, how do we get guns into the hands of the other ten."
    What Would Gumby Do?

JD
    Administrator
    I was wondering about Israel also...

How did the UK and Austrailia fared on that one, probably pretty low, and look at the crime

Senior Moderator
    Huh...

I can name at least a dozen people with more than 90 guns....and they dont fill out questionairs about them...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links