Need help with NY state assault weapons ban - Page 2

Need help with NY state assault weapons ban

This is a discussion on Need help with NY state assault weapons ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please do not advise posters to break the law. If he did as you suggested he would become a criminal. If for any reason the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with NY state assault weapons ban

Please do not advise posters to break the law. If he did as you suggested he would become a criminal. If for any reason the police investigated his weapons, and it happens to good people (neighbors or co-workers with a grudge could easily call the police on you for anything), they will find his "Assault Rifle." He will have his name published in the paper, he will have his house, face and evil weapons shown on television, he will be arrested and he will go to jail.

Unless you can prove the rifle and accoutraments that make it an "assault weapon" in NY were all present BEFORE the law went into effect your defense is DOA.

Administrator
    I agree that the way to change NY State law is through the proper channels.
    It accomplishes nothing to turn yourself into a convicted felon.
    You can't own or shoot any firearms at all in prison.
    But, you could make yourself a "Shiv" out of sharpened BIC pen plastic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Long story short, I want to build an AR so I started reading the laws regarding assault weapons and well... I'm lost.

The link I was using for reference:
    http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/nyawb/...4-explain.html

So I get that assault weapons as defined by the law are illegal. But... my first hangup is down in the page where they define assault weapons as a semi-automatic rifle with detachable magazine having at least 2 characteristics for the included list (collapsible stock, flash suppressor,, pistol grip, etc....). I swear I saw Bushmaster AR's in gander mountain for sale that had detachable magazines, telescoping stocks and of course, pistol grips. If I remember right they also had flash suppressors. Is my memory really bad or am I mistaken in my reading of the law?

My second hangup is where it says that copies of guns in any caliber and lists the Colt AR-15. How is any AR legal in NY state if all copies of Colt AR-15's are illegal? Is there a loophole where the other manufacturer's change some small things so they are not considered "copies"?

Any input is appreciated. I want my rifle to be legal and the laws are a minefield.
    sorry I just saw this thread....to answer your questions:
    -the bushmasters at GM have fixed telestocks...they put them on just for the look
    -you can own any preban (made before Sept 94) AR here, you didn't have to own it before that date...it just had to have existed and have been possessed by someone (didn't have to be you) before that date.
    -The "copies" part applies to the whole gun...the argument was made that a Stag arms AR is not the same as a Colt AR-15 AR for example.
    - You can make any ban compliant AR you want as long as it doesn't have a bayo lug, adjustable stock, or flashhider/threaded bbl.
    -You can buy a preban gun and configure it anyway that you would like including bayo lugs, adjustable stock, or flashhider/threaded bbl.
    - If you live in the limits of the city of Rochester, Albany, or NYC then you have city laws to deal with as well.
    - Post ban guns can have muzzle breaks attached and many of these look like flash hiders if you are just going for a certain look.

ETA: I see you are in/around Rochester. If you want to come out to GCL sometime there are a bunch of us there that shoot ARs (and many other EBRs) there. www.gclrochester.com you can shoot as my guest if you like. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    On a serious note, with all of the documentation out there about the federal ban and the statistics proving that it did nothing to the crime rate maybe someone will listen this time. Then again a little common sense is probably too much to ask.
    not to sound negative...but that will never happen with the current "people" in office...the state assembly just voted to ban the .50 BMG here I doubt they will repeal the AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    That seems like a relatively easy thing to fix. Just buy an adjustable stock across the state line in a free state like NH or VT, and install it at home.
    Just to point out what may not be the obvious to those not living in NY, but doing this would be a felony....you would be arrested...you would lose in court and you would spend over a year in state prison. This is why I left so many guns out of state when I moved here. ...ahhh only 708 days left in NY for me then it's off to the land of the free!

Yet again, I think I'm absolutely right about splitting up the state of NY, so that NYC is a separate city-state.
    now, no offense, but this is a stupid idea.....................
    NYC should be a separate country

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    - If you live in the limits of the city of Rochester, Albany, or NYC then you have city laws to deal with as well.
    I actually live in a suburb of Rochester so the city laws don't matter to me. Their law limits you to six rounds including the one in the chamber. It also bans "specific assault type weapons and stockless pistol grip shotguns". I've yet to see them define an "assault type weapon" so I assume it follows the state ban definition.

As to some of the other comments posted here, my point of the whole exercise is to build a legal gun, as stupid as the laws may be, so that I'm not doing anything illegal.

I've decided since I'm going to shoot at paper, to build a fixed stock, heavy barrel flat top and get a decent scope for it. Picking up a stripped lower at a gun show this month and ordering the rest of the parts off the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    ETA: I see you are in/around Rochester. If you want to come out to GCL sometime there are a bunch of us there that shoot ARs (and many other EBRs) there. www.gclrochester.com you can shoot as my guest if you like. Just let me know.
    oops, missed this part. Thanks for the offer. I'm actually going there with a co-worker in the next couple of weeks and shooting his AR carbine and his heavy barrel. Also just checking out the place because I plan to join. I was waiting to sign up at the gun show since I hear they waive the initiation fee but it turns out the show is on the weekend that I'll be out of town.

Administrator

It's Really Not Such A Great Idea To Break The Law Here Either.

Rule #9 on the DefensiveCarry Rules Page.
    READ IT!

Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed.
    Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned.
    Simple admission of illegal activity on your part will normally be removed or the poster given the opportunity to edit their admission out of the post.
    Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links