Gun Prohibition - Page 2

Gun Prohibition

This is a discussion on Gun Prohibition within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They are actors, what they think doesn't really matter. If their talent was being an rational intellectual they would not pursue a career based on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Prohibition

They are actors, what they think doesn't really matter. If their talent was being an rational intellectual they would not pursue a career based on pretending to be something they are not.

I don't care what my mechanics political leaning is, the same for the guy who built my house, my assistants at work, my suppliers, or anyone else I purchase a service from. My shipping manager is so moronic in his views I can't discuss nearly anything with him. As long as he ships product though I don't care.

Our getting all uppity because an ACTOR espouses a view (albiet a stupid one) only gives further weight to the argument that we should care at all about what they think. We should care no more about what an actor thinks about something outside acting than we do about what a sports star does... oops, America is in trouble there also.

Ms. Foster is a great actress with very stupid views. Enjoy her acting and ignore her babble. DiCaprio is a leftist ecofanatic who has swallowed all the Climate Crisis KoolAid out there but I still have to admit his acting has developed to an impressive level (anyone seen The Departed or Blood Diamond?). If Tom Hanks came out and admitted today he was a Scientologist who believe Emperor Xenu executed billions of aliens whose souls are now trapped inside of us it would make him a moron, but would not change the fact that he is a fantastic actor one bit (I would have used Tom Cruise who does fall into that category of nut job but I really do not think much of his acting overall).

I wonder who is the head idiot in Hollywood who has everyone so scared to have a different point of view. All of them seem to have the same viewpoint. is it really because they have to pretend to have the same virtues in order to get a job in Hollywood. Who knows? but, it's food for thought.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post

Her movie looks like a modern-day version of the classic "Death Wish" with Charles Bronson, except with a female lead, which is even better since they're more often victimized than men.

How someone could play the lead role in this movie, which seems to advocate vigilantism (really more like proper self-defense when going to "dangerous" areas) as Death Wish so obviously did, and then say guns should all be banned, simply baffles me.
    This is really dissapointing for me since I really have liked her in the past. Now she gets lumped with Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins and the like. I've no need to be a patron to her and her cause with my money. Just another liberal nutcase.
    You'd think after all this time she would have gotten over 'Taxi Driver". I guess it made more of an impression on her than I thought.
    Maybe she still has nightmares with Robert Di Nero in them.

GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    I wonder who is the head idiot in Hollywood who has everyone so scared to have a different point of view. All of them seem to have the same viewpoint. is it really because they have to pretend to have the same virtues in order to get a job in Hollywood. Who knows? but, it's food for thought.
    It is no one person. Look at where these people come from. They mostly have gone through acting schools with a decidedly liberal leaning. They live in an overprivledged part of society where all their needs are catered to. Personal security is handled by a hired organization and the odds of a movie star encountering regular street crime is nearly 0. What they do see are stalker nut cases who are handled by the security firms they have hired.

Wondering why they hold their views is the same as wondering why most teachers hold theirs. Look at the system which produces them.

I look at it as, if she really feels strongly about it then she should give ALL the money she has made with her "gun movies" and give it to an anti-gun group. After that has been accomplished she need to get rid of all armed bodyguards and never make another gun movie again!!!!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Ms. Foster is a great actress with very stupid views. Enjoy her acting and ignore her babble. DiCaprio is a leftist ecofanatic who has swallowed all the Climate Crisis KoolAid out there but I still have to admit his acting has developed to an impressive level (anyone seen The Departed or Blood Diamond?). If Tom Hanks came out and admitted today he was a Scientologist who believe Emperor Xenu executed billions of aliens whose souls are now trapped inside of us it would make him a moron, but would not change the fact that he is a fantastic actor one bit (I would have used Tom Cruise who does fall into that category of nut job but I really do not think much of his acting overall).
    The problem with all of this is Ms. Foster's latest movie, which appears to be completely opposite in view to what she's saying here. To take the Blood Diamond example, it would be like Leonardo publicly saying he doesn't think the illegal diamond trade is a problem, right after he starred in a movie about it with an obvious point of view to make with the audience. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said before, did Charles Bronson ever run around saying that no one should have guns right after he made Death Wish? That movie obviously advocated self-defense and raised questions about a "justice" system which punishes those who defend themselves.

As for the Xenu bit, you're insulting a religion here. Isn't that against the forum policies? Would I be reprimanded if I made fun of Christianity? I think I probably would, even though it's an equally silly religion; "body thetans" don't seem any more ridiculous than talking, burning bushes.

The problem with all of this is Ms. Foster's latest movie, which appears to be completely opposite in view to what she's saying here. To take the Blood Diamond example, it would be like Leonardo publicly saying he doesn't think the illegal diamond trade is a problem, right after he starred in a movie about it with an obvious point of view to make with the audience. It just doesn't make sense. ...
    No it isn't a problem. Anthony Hopkins made plenty of money playing Hannibal the Cannibal but I do not think he advocates cannibalism. Robin Williams played a gay man in The Birdcage but as far as I know is not one. Tom Hanks gave a fantastic performance as an Irish Mob enforcer in Road to Perdition but I do not think he advocates violence, bank robbery nor organized crime.

Actors are not actors if they cannot fill a role that is completely opposed to what they are personally.

They are not paid to be role models or be spokesmen (unless that is their actual function like in infomercials and such), they are paid to ENTERTAIN. Actors are nothing more than dancing bears or trained dogs. What they think does not matter one bit.

My father thought the majority of Modern Art was nothing more than trash yet he worked as a construction worker on a museum which was dedicated to modern art. That does not mean he supports it, it just means he did his job. Actors are the same but for some reason our celebrity obsessed culture seems to think what they say is important.

As for the Xenu bit, you're insulting a religion here. Isn't that against the forum policies? Would I be reprimanded if I made fun of Christianity? I think I probably would, even though it's an equally silly religion; "body thetans" don't seem any more ridiculous than talking, burning bushes.
    I have little regard for almost any religion but Scientology is not one. It only claimed to be one in order to gain tax exempt status, having postured itself and being built on the precepts of anti-religion from the begining. It is also listed as a cult and or business enterprise in multiple nations.

A christian may not agree with a Muslim but he will admit Islam is a religion, likewise with almost any other real religion. If I am going to get banned for calling a cult a cult then we have gone off the deep end of the PC swimming pool at TFL.

I don't know how my original post moved to religion. I meant only to point out how she's willing to make money on a seemingly pro 2A movie and then blast the concept. If she were true to her beliefs she should have passed on this movie and maybe make one showing the "evils" of guns.

That is just it though. An actor playing a role that is not in line with their personal beliefs is in no way not being "true to their beliefs." It is their JOB to play a role. Your job may be electrician, plumber, programmer, engineer or salesman when you perform the function of your job, running wire, sweating pipes, writing code, doing FEA analysis or prospecting a client you are simply doing a job.

When an actor acts they are doing their job in exactly the same way as everyone else. Do you care if your plumber feels we should be sending aid to Isreal? If not then why do you care if the actor you "hired" to entertain you has their own ideas? The ONLY difference is your average plumber does not have his political ideas plasterred across the media airwaves and is not told by those controlling the media and the hordes of drones listenning that what he has to say is any more important than anyone else.

For example, Mel Gibson is a foul mouthed drunk driving anti-Semite but Braveheart and The Patriot are two rocking good flicks!

The religion thing came up because I used an actor being a nut job Scientologist cultist having no bearing on his merits as an actor. Someone seemed to think that was a violation of the relgion rules on the board and I counterred that Scientology is not a religion by their own admission, until they realize more money could be made by changing their story and calling themselves one. That's it for Scientology, I did not think it would have caused a hijack.

An even better example!

A defense attorney may believe that his client committed a crime but if he sees govermental abuse in the construction of the case his JOB is to be an advocate for his client to the best of his ability. Contrary to what many may want to believe I really do not think most defense lawyers WANT more rapists and murderrers on the streets.

I don't care one way or the other what the opinions/beliefs of any actor are. They are free to express them, and if people care, they can listen.

That said, I don't believe in contributing to the wealth of people I don't care for. Some opinions certain actors have pi$$ed me off, so I don't pay to watch their films. I put Ms. Foster in the same category as Tom Cruise. Delusional nut cases, living privileged lives. If they had to live in the "real world" with the rest of the commoners, perhaps their opinions would evolve.

No it isn't a problem. Anthony Hopkins made plenty of money playing Hannibal the Cannibal but I do not think he advocates cannibalism. Robin Williams played a gay man in The Birdcage but as far as I know is not one. Tom Hanks gave a fantastic performance as an Irish Mob enforcer in Road to Perdition but I do not think he advocates violence, bank robbery nor organized crime.

Actors are not actors if they cannot fill a role that is completely opposed to what they are personally.
    Totally wrong. Movies like Silence of the Lambs, The Birdcage, and Road to Perdition weren't "activist" movies. They were only meant to entertain, not to advocate anything or make some kind of social statement. Only a fool would think Silence of the Lambs advocated serial murder.

However, only a fool would think that Death Wish was mere entertainment, and wasn't making a statement about self defense.

Lots of movies are more than just entertainment, and are trying to influence public opinion. Michael Moore's movies are an extreme form of this, but lots of other movies make statements as well. Even the Terminator series had a small statement to make about nuclear weapon proliferation, though it was rather minor.

This movie is just a modern day clone of Death Wish. Therefore, acting in it (as the star, no less) is nothing short of showing support for the statement that the movie is trying to make.

They are not paid to be role models or be spokesmen (unless that is their actual function like in infomercials and such), they are paid to ENTERTAIN. Actors are nothing more than dancing bears or trained dogs. What they think does not matter one bit.
    When you're the lead star in a movie making an obvious statement such as this one, you are most definitely a spokesperson.

My father thought the majority of Modern Art was nothing more than trash yet he worked as a construction worker on a museum which was dedicated to modern art. That does not mean he supports it, it just means he did his job. Actors are the same but for some reason our celebrity obsessed culture seems to think what they say is important.
    ***? Working as a construction worker is nothing; that's like asking what the janitor at Halliburton thinks of the Iraq war. If your father were the President of the modern art museum, and thought it was all crap, that would be something significant. It was also be quite hypocritical. But if he was just a construction worker, that really doesn't matter. It especially doesn't matter since it's an art museum, not something trying to influence public opinion on something that can affect people living or dying. I'll happily do some engineering for an art museum showing Jackson Pollack's (sp?) "art", even though I think it's all crap, as long as they pay me. But I'm not going to help out on a movie condemning gun owners and portraying violent criminals as "victims of society" or somesuch.

I have little regard for almost any religion but Scientology is not one. It only claimed to be one in order to gain tax exempt status, having postured itself and being built on the precepts of anti-religion from the begining. It is also listed as a cult and or business enterprise in multiple nations.

A christian may not agree with a Muslim but he will admit Islam is a religion, likewise with almost any other real religion. If I am going to get banned for calling a cult a cult then we have gone off the deep end of the PC swimming pool at TFL.
    Huh? Scientology is most certainly a religion. A wacky one perhaps, unconventional certainly, but still a "religion". A cult is very similar to a religion; the only real difference is that a cult centers around a single charismatic leader, like David Koresh or Jim Jones. When there's no more leader (he eventually dies), and it becomes more of a faceless organization, and gains more followers, it becomes a religion. Every religion started out as a cult. Scientology used to be a cult, but L. Ron died some time ago. It's now a worldwide religion with over 10 million followers. It shares all the other normal traits of other religions: has a bunch of mythology that must be accepted as "true" (except that in Scientology they don't tell you all the mythology until later), asks for your money, requires you to follow certain rituals.

If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck...

Maybe Hubbard really was a genius, by pointing out how fallacious religion is, by making up his own that was as wacky as he could make it. The sad thing is that people still don't get it.

When an actor acts they are doing their job in exactly the same way as everyone else. Do you care if your plumber feels we should be sending aid to Isreal? If not then why do you care if the actor you "hired" to entertain you has their own ideas? The ONLY difference is your average plumber does not have his political ideas plasterred across the media airwaves and is not told by those controlling the media and the hordes of drones listenning that what he has to say is any more important than anyone else.
    That's a very BIG difference. A star actor IS a spokesperson, usually even more than the director and certainly the producer. Quick, who was the producer of this movie? I have no clue. But everyone who knows about the movie knows who the main star is.

So hiring an actor who disagrees publicly with the movie's message is just like President Bush hiring a White House Spokesperson who condemns the Iraq War with the Presidential Seal behind them on camera.

It doesn't really matter what the key grip or the extras, or even the minor actors (whose names we don't remember) think about the movie. But the main star? It absolutely does.

For example, Mel Gibson is a foul mouthed drunk driving anti-Semite but Braveheart and The Patriot are two rocking good flicks!
    Those movies were made before it became known he was a foul-mouthed, drunk-driving anti-Semite. I doubt he'll be hired for any similar movies in the future.

Would anyone hire Tom Cruise to portray a psychiatrist in a movie where the psychiatrist is the hero? That would be pretty stupid, after that idiotic scene he made a few years ago, bashing psychiatry on prime-time TV. He can still do action movies I guess, but those never make any statements about psychiatry.

The religion thing came up because I used an actor being a nut job Scientologist cultist having no bearing on his merits as an actor. Someone seemed to think that was a violation of the relgion rules on the board and I counterred that Scientology is not a religion by their own admission, until they realize more money could be made by changing their story and calling themselves one. That's it for Scientology, I did not think it would have caused a hijack.
    You can think what you want about Scientology (my views of it are quite negative as well); but it still meets the definition of "religion", like it or not. That's the funny thing about religion; it doesn't have to make sense. It only has to have dogmatic beliefs in something unprovable, and create an organization around this. We've only given the major religions higher status because we've been conditioned to by society, but they're really no different from Scientology except that they're not as up-front about what they do.

A defense attorney may believe that his client committed a crime but if he sees govermental abuse in the construction of the case his JOB is to be an advocate for his client to the best of his ability. Contrary to what many may want to believe I really do not think most defense lawyers WANT more rapists and murderrers on the streets.
    I disagree; I think most defense attorneys (and most attorneys for that matter) have no real morals or ethics. All they care about is winning their case, and making money. It's one thing to defend someone you don't think is guilty, but you can't help to free someone who you know is absolutely a criminal and still be an ethical person.

Then again, our whole legal system based on English Common Law requires this type of action, which is why it's flawed in the first place. It's about adversarialism, rather than actually finding the truth. The Civil Law system is superior in that it focuses more on finding the truth, and not on how effective your lawyer is at arguing.

New Member Array LaraCroft'sDemise's Avatar
    Enough about Jodie Foster's personal opinion (which, as retarded as it might be, she is completely entitled to).

What would each of you do if/when our government sees fit to remove our weapons from us, by force if legislation doesn't move us?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links