Who's the most pro-gun GOP candidate? - Page 2

Who's the most pro-gun GOP candidate?

This is a discussion on Who's the most pro-gun GOP candidate? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, last time, READ post #2. This thread has been open for about two hours, and I've all ready deleted two posts and edited two ...

View Poll Results: Who's the most pro-gun GOP candidate?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • US Senator Samuel D. "Sam" Brownback (Kansas)

0 0%
  • Former US House Speaker Newton L. "Newt" Gingrich (Georgia)

3 2.61%
  • Former New York City Mayor Rudolph W. "Rudy" Giuliani (New York)

0 0%
  • US Senator Charles T. "Chuck" Hagel (Nebraska)

1 0.87%
  • Former Governor Michael D. "Mike" Huckabee (Arkansas)

6 5.22%
  • Congressman Duncan L. Hunter (California)

1 0.87%
  • Former Ambassador Alan L. Keyes (Maryland)

0 0%
  • US Senator John S. McCain III (Arizona)

2 1.74%
  • Congressman Ron Paul (Texas)

35 30.43%
  • Former Governor W. Mitt Romney (Massachusetts)

2 1.74%
  • Congressman Thomas G. "Tom" Tancredo (Colorado)

0 0%
  • Former Tennessee US Senator Fred Dalton Thompson (Virginia)

65 56.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the most pro-gun GOP candidate?

JD
    Administrator
    OK, last time, READ post #2. This thread has been open for about two hours, and I've all ready deleted two posts and edited two others.

Keep it on 2A Pro-gun issues, anything elses is getting axed

I can only balance what I have heard (from the candidate) with who could win...has to be Fred...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fred may have a good shot, but his 2A stand will need to be buttressed by good positions on everything else........or else he won't be electable, 2A or not.........

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

This is some responses by Newt to questioning by Stephanopoulos in an interview after the VT shooting.

"Virginia Tech, like many campuses, was supposedly a gun-free zone. In states where people have been allowed to have concealed weapons, in Mississippi and Kentucky, there have been incidents of this kind of a killer who was stopped because in fact, people who are law-abiding, people who are rational and people who are responsible had the ability to stop them."
    My solution would be that people who are honest, law-abiding citizens - and the evidence in this is overwhelming in states that have legitimate concealed carry. And in fact, there are states that have concealed carry except on the college campuses where the campus itself adopts a rule. I would just suggest to you that the professor who gave his life to save a class, who himself was a Holocaust survivor, had he been in a position to stop this deranged person, would have saved an awful lot of lives, including his own.
    I think there should be an ability to look at illegal gun traffic and that should be something we work out. But I would also point out, in countries that have had absolute bans, Great Britain, Australia, gun violence has actually gone up because the criminals end up buying illegal guns, but the law-abiding honest citizen is in effect disarmed.

'NEWT 2008'

I dunno if this is the type of message that a Mod is going to take down but I will give it my best shot. (it's a sensitive line we are approaching and I have no idea what is considered crossing it)

In reality most of us here have a stance on 2A issues that is more aligned with the libertarian ideology and it appears that Ron Paul, as a candidate, is closer to the Libertarian school of thought (which may be why he voted no on some of the lawsuit bills). So in my mind to answer the OP's poll question, Paul appears to be the most Pro 2A.

It should also be noted that a careful examination of the candidates in Pres. elections over the last 2-3 decades, the libertarian candidate, regardless of electability, was probably more pro 2A than the GOP nominee.

As a sidenote, I agree with a previous poster, that if we (being those of us who are ardent Pro 2A'ers) want to elect a pro 2A candidate we will have to evaluate them on more than just their stance on 2A. Hence the first part of my signature: Lex et Libertas or Law and Liberty. I have found that if you can find a candidate that stands for the letter of the law (the constitution) and protects individual liberty on a wide range of issues, you can just about bet that the person is pro 2A and is likely to agree on other issues we find important, like the use of national forests for hunting and shooting.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    This is some responses by Newt to questioning by Stephanopoulos in an interview after the VT shooting.

"Virginia Tech, like many campuses, was supposedly a gun-free zone. In states where people have been allowed to have concealed weapons, in Mississippi and Kentucky, there have been incidents of this kind of a killer who was stopped because in fact, people who are law-abiding, people who are rational and people who are responsible had the ability to stop them."
    My solution would be that people who are honest, law-abiding citizens - and the evidence in this is overwhelming in states that have legitimate concealed carry. And in fact, there are states that have concealed carry except on the college campuses where the campus itself adopts a rule. I would just suggest to you that the professor who gave his life to save a class, who himself was a Holocaust survivor, had he been in a position to stop this deranged person, would have saved an awful lot of lives, including his own.
    I think there should be an ability to look at illegal gun traffic and that should be something we work out. But I would also point out, in countries that have had absolute bans, Great Britain, Australia, gun violence has actually gone up because the criminals end up buying illegal guns, but the law-abiding honest citizen is in effect disarmed.

'NEWT 2008'

The Newt quote was a bit off topic for the thread but it is the god's honest truth nonetheless
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

i know where my vote belongs. See for yourself here http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm and here http://www.ronpaul2008.com/about/
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

On this one issue I'd say Ron Paul. However, on foreign policy, the guy is certifiably insane.
    On one hand I wanted to laugh at this clown, until I reminded myself that he's taking himself seriously as a candidate.

Fred Thompson or Ron Paul, both would be outstanding. Mr. Thompson, in my opinion, has more of a chance simply due to his celebrity status.

No question...Fred Thompson (I dont count Ron Paul as a Republican...he's too much of a kook)

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

How come we didn't get a chance to pick who is the most pro-gun between the democratic candidates?

GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

Thumbs up Fred Thompson is our man

As much as I would like to vote for Ron Paul I cannot due to the fact that he is not known well enough to win and I would in my opinion waste a good vote. I would like to see Fred thompson run as president and Ron Paul run as vice president. What a team this would be. That would be about as strong a 2A team as you could get.

Ron Paul is a Libertarian running on the Republican ticket. Thompson is the only outspoken candidate that supports the Second Amendment.

BAC
    I'm for closing this topic up. After several warnings people still can't read well enough to recognize the difference between bashing candidates and responding on topic.

BigEFan hit the nail on the head in my books. The most "2A-friendly" candidate is the one that most respects law and liberty, period.

-B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links