"Assault Weapon" ban

"Assault Weapon" ban

This is a discussion on "Assault Weapon" ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am surprised by how often I run into folks who tell me that they were fine with the "Assault Weapon" ban because "nobody needs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Assault Weapon" ban

I am surprised by how often I run into folks who tell me that they were fine with the "Assault Weapon" ban because "nobody needs an assault weapon"

I then explain to them that the guns defined by the now expired assault weapon ban were nothing more than normal semi-automatic guns that have 2 or more "evil looking" features (such as a pistol grip) that make them no more dangerous than any other semi automatic gun.

I also tell them that the gun grabbers will NEVER take their hunting rifle without first calling it a "sniper rifle." That usually gets their attention.

We should not allow the gun grabbers to take any of our guns - we need to stand together. If we don't hang together, we will hang separately.
    My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

I remind them it is called the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    'Nuff said.

-B

+ 1
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

VIP Member
    +1 indeed
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assault weapons were not designed for killing...they were designed for self-defense.
    Electric chairs and gas chambers were designed for killing.

No one is touching my 'black rifle'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tell my liberal brethren....

To keep their weapons, don't bother banning them because they are going to need them when they cut and run from Iraq; the terrorists will simply follow us here. I reminded my Mother, regarding our family outings in downtown San Antonio when she and my Father nervously looks to me and asks if I am carrying whenever unsavory characters are on the opposite side of the sidewalk. I also told her that if her Democrat buddies were successful in running from the terrorists, she would have to call me when she went to the local grocery, that suicide bombers would start targeting supermarkets and shopping malls.

Heck, my dear old Mom may have to start packing and become a member here to keep up with current events......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Great point Tubby45. Couldn't have put it better myself. We could make the same argument for the 1st amendment if someone were to someday say that they can ban the internet saying that we don't NEED foxnews.com & defensivecarry.com because we can read news just fine from the local newspaper. Luckily it's a bill of rights rather than a bill of needs, so no bureaucrat can decide which forms of communication are protected by the 1st amendment & which things we don't "need"

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

When I was in my concealed handgun training one of the other students made a similar comment about assault rifles. I quoted one of the signitures from another forum I subscribe to (M14FiringlineForum). "I don't own any assault rifles, just counter-assault rifles."
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Good point bigiceman. When you think about it, the primary point of the defensive use of our guns is to protect ourselves from any enemy. Who says our enemy can't have a fully automatic actual "assault rifle" such as an M-16, AK-47 or the like (off-topic I know since they are not the weapons banned by the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban)? Wouldn't we all like to be able to fight back with an equal footing rather than simply a pistol vs. an M16?

We might as well have an equal footing. There is enough room in my gun safe for several kinds of guns so that I can pick the best one for the job depending on who is attacking & what they are attacking with.

Besides, I've heard that it is a lot of fun to shoot a fully automatic gun once you get over the sticker shock of the $200 tax you pay the ATF for the "privilege" of owning one. I hope to get one for myself sometime. :)

By the way bigiceman - love your signature. Very well said. :)

+1

Great statements. I am definitely going to use this one. May even have a T-Shirt made.

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    Besides, I've heard that it is a lot of fun to shoot a fully automatic gun once you get over the sticker shock of the $200 tax you pay the ATF for the "privilege" of owning one. I hope to get one for myself sometime. :)
    :)
    The transfer tax isn't the sticker shock. The shock is the price of the actual NFA weapon itself, with cheap Macs running $3K for a beat up one.

In my line of work, I carry full auto and get paid for it.

The transfer tax isn't the sticker shock. The shock is the price of the actual NFA weapon itself, with cheap Macs running $3K for a beat up one.

In my line of work, I carry full auto and get paid for it.
    Good point Tubby. Now that I think about it, I'll end up paying more for the ammo than the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    "I don't own any assault rifles, just counter-assault rifles."
    Your darn right!!!!

I will be using both of these comments in the near future. Liveing in California, the opportunity to use these lines comes all too often.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    Good point Tubby. Now that I think about it, I'll end up paying more for the ammo than the tax.
    Absolutely right! I still kick myself for not buying the Sten that was offered to me for $900 in 1996. Grrrrrr . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links