I like this Guy

I like this Guy

This is a discussion on I like this Guy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please note that I do not take credit for writing this. This is a cut and paste creation from my NRA Grassroots update. I would ...

Thread: I like this Guy

I like this Guy

Please note that I do not take credit for writing this. This is a cut and paste creation from my NRA Grassroots update. I would be interested who the 10 hold out were.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the United Nations continuing its efforts to enact draconian, transnational gun control laws in countries around the world, yesterday the U.S. Senate passed the Foreign Operations appropriations bill, which included an amendment by Senator David Vitter (R-LA) that seeks to address the U.N.’s ongoing international gun ban efforts.

By an overwhelming 81-10 vote, the Senate passed Sen. Vitter’s amendment to prevent any funding to foreign organizations that infringe upon the Second Amendment rights of lawful American citizens. Any organization that adopts a policy anathema to the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment would no longer be eligible for U.S. financial assistance—including the U.N.

The gun ban issue in the U.N. has been percolating for more than a decade, and while NRA has been successful to date in precluding the U.N. from enacting its anti-freedom agenda, the bureaucrats at Turtle Bay remain committed in their zeal to push for additional restrictions on the rights of free gun owners in the United States and around the globe.

Global registration and tracking of firearms would inevitably lead to the global disarmament of free citizens everywhere; something that we cannot and will not let happen. NRA will remain vigilant in monitoring the U.N.’s anti-gun actions and speaking out in the international community in support of Americans’ Second Amendment rights.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    David Vitter is our senator here in Louisiana. I support him and I think he's done a very good job. My only and biggest complaint about him was that he was dumb for letting himself get involved with some hookers. I'm not a Rhodes scholar, like he is, but I'm smart enough to not let that happen to me.

However this news you've reported goes a long ways toward me forgiving him.
    Last edited by Scott; September 8th, 2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Language violation - Scott
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Please note that I do not take credit for writing this. This is a cut and paste creation from my NRA Grassroots update. I would be interested who the 10 hold out were.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can find the 10 here as well as the rest of the bill details and status: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-2764

A copy of his admendment:

SA 2774. Mr. VITTER submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill H.R. 2764, making appropriations for the Department of State, foreign operations, and related programs for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2008, and for other purposes; as follows:

On page 410, between lines 15 and 16, insert the following:

RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Sec. 699B. None of the funds made available under this Act may be made available to any international organization, agency, or entity (including the United Nations) that requires the registration of, or taxes a gun owned by a citizen of the United States.

(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Sep 6, 2007.)

Rick

I would be interested who the 10 hold out were.
    Looks like the nay votes for the admendment were from the usual suspects:

CA Feinstein, Dianne [D]
    IL Durbin, Richard [D]
    IA Harkin, Thomas [D]
    MA Kennedy, Edward [D]
    MI Levin, Carl [D]
    NJ Lautenberg, Frank [D]
    NJ Menendez, Robert [D]
    NY Schumer, Charles [D]
    RI Reed, John [D]
    RI Whitehouse, Sheldon [D]

And those that didn't render a voter were:

AZ McCain, John [R]
    AR Lincoln, Blanche [D]
    CA Boxer, Barbara [D]
    CT Dodd, Christopher [D]
    DE Biden, Joseph [D]
    ID Craig, Larry [R]
    IL Obama, Barack [D]
    NY Clinton, Hillary [D]
    OH Brown, Sherrod [D]

Overall though, the entire bill (notwithstanding Vitter's admendment)was Nayed by Republicans and voted favorably by Dems. What gives?
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides...” (Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria)

This does surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeCalypso View Post
    Looks like the nay votes for the admendment were from the usual suspects:

CA Feinstein, Dianne [D]
    IL Durbin, Richard [D]
    IA Harkin, Thomas [D]
    MA Kennedy, Edward [D]
    MI Levin, Carl [D]
    NJ Lautenberg, Frank [D]
    NJ Menendez, Robert [D]
    NY Schumer, Charles [D]
    RI Reed, John [D]
    RI Whitehouse, Sheldon [D]

And those that didn't render a voter were:

AZ McCain, John [R]
    AR Lincoln, Blanche [D]
    CA Boxer, Barbara [D]
    CT Dodd, Christopher [D]
    DE Biden, Joseph [D]
    ID Craig, Larry [R]
    IL Obama, Barack [D]
    NY Clinton, Hillary [D]
    OH Brown, Sherrod [D]

Overall though, the entire bill (notwithstanding Vitter's admendment)was Nayed by Republicans and voted favorably by Dem's. What gives?
    With the global effort to Unite the World economy and fair trade agreements, the tried and true Republicans appear to be looking ahead as to not step on future gains and profits. I have to say that I am surprised at the Dem voting. Possible political move as it is obvious they have finally understood what is going to get them votes. Whether or not, after in office, they bait an switch is of concern to me. Again, the Presidential candidates obstain from taking a stance to weigh public opinion first to announce what they stand for. I have said it numerous times, do not trust McCain. He is not a friend to the second amendment. I thank you for posting the results. This gives me required contemplation to how I may vote in the future.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

BAC
    Well, look over that list again.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeCalypso View Post
    AZ McCain, John [R]
    AR Lincoln, Blanche [D]
    CA Boxer, Barbara [D]
    CT Dodd, Christopher [D]
    DE Biden, Joseph [D]
    ID Craig, Larry [R]
    IL Obama, Barack [D]
    NY Clinton, Hillary [D]
    OH Brown, Sherrod [D]
    Four are presidential candidates. One is involved in a huge scandal. Boxer's considered an "Anti" so I'm not sure her deal there. It sounds mostly like these are the folks that don't want to get involved for various reasons, I'd guess to reduce any chance the spotlight on them would be used against them in the campaign. Everyone else has either nothing to lose since they just got elected and still have a full term ahead of them in a largely Democrat-controlled Congress. The Dems remember the results of the 1994 AWB.

-B

Whether or not, after in office, they bait an switch is of concern to me.
    Is there even a question? They look to the polls to get elected, but they never really change their spots.

By not casting a vote the abstainers have made their positions clear enough. For me McCain is most definitely OUT of the running.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Not to defend McCain, but he was probably off somewhere kissing babies during the vote.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links