California's done it again...

This is a discussion on California's done it again... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well this sucks. Originally Posted by Brady Campaign California Senate Approves Landmark Crime-Fighting Bill Sacramento, CA - The California State Senate today passed a bill ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California's done it again...

California's done it again...

Well this sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Campaign
    California Senate Approves Landmark
    Crime-Fighting Bill

Sacramento, CA - The California State Senate today passed a bill already approved by the California Assembly that would provide police with an important new tool in solving gun crimes and apprehending armed criminals.

The Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007 (AB 1471) passed the State Senate. The legislation now heads back to the Assembly for a concurrence vote. The bill previously cleared the Assembly by a vote of 44-31.

"This is a major victory for police officers around the state and a powerful new tool to help track down armed criminals and solve gun murders," said Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke. "Our police are working harder than ever to catch criminals and keep them behind bars, yet almost half the homicides in California are unsolved. Giving police more tools like this to do their jobs is the common-sense thing to do."

The Crime Gun Identification Act would require that all new models of semi-automatic handguns sold in the State of California starting in 2010 be equipped with technology to allow police to match bullet casings found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. This technology, known as "microstamping," consists of engraving microscopic characters representing the make, model and serial number of a handgun onto its firing pin and other internal surfaces. These characters transfer onto the cartridge casing when the handgun is fired.

Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-42), a former Los Angeles City Councilmember who has long been an advocate for sensible gun laws, is the author of the bill. It is supported by the Los Angeles County Police Chiefs' Association, Orange County Chiefs' and Sheriff's Association, and the Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), in addition to 65 police chiefs and sheriffs throughout the state.

Kay Holmen, the President of the California Brady Campaign Chapters, said, "Microstamping technology works and it will provide solid leads for the kind of gun crimes that lead to nothing but frustration for police and the families of victims. We applaud the State Senate for standing with police and gun violence victims throughout the state."
    Microstamping is unreliable technology, proven so twice in tests that were ignored because of their results.

Those still living there would do well to escape while it's still legal.

The greatest concern addressed so far is the price increase that will inevitably take place when purchasing firearms. Whether the major firearms manufacturers can pressure California into footing the bill to "upgrade" their machines or if the major manufacturers begin focusing more on other states, this will effect everyone. Remember that California's one of the biggest, if not the biggest, firearms market in the country.

-B

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Well this sucks.

Microstamping is unreliable technology, proven so twice in tests that were ignored because of their results.

Remember that California's one of the biggest, if not the biggest, firearms market in the country.

-B
    Yet they ignore common sense technology such as allowing LE to even question 'illegal aliens'. From what I read, illegal aliens are wanted for a majority of the murders and violent crimes in LA.

What are the statistics you use to claim California's market ranking?
    I just don't see them being close to either Texas or Florida. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    What are the statistics you use to claim California's market ranking?
    I just don't see them being close to either Texas or Florida. Maybe I'm wrong.
    About to head off for a short shift at work, so I should be able to hunt down stuff tonight. I know for certain a few small-but-high-end companies are based there, so I'll see what I can find.

(On a semi-related note, aren't most cars made today with Cali-emissions in mind?)

-B

This sounds like its from the space age. Appears the first firing pin strike to the primer would compromise the stamp. Whats to keep someone from polishing off the micro stamp or even change the firing pin all together? Anyone know?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    When did common sense ever matter .......... when unmitigated control is the goal?

Can't decide whether this is more absurd than ballistic finger-printing or not ........... hmmm - yes, it's even more stupid.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    There are alot of dealers that wont sell or even send anything to California.

The anti gunners are gonna keep it up and make it so restrictive that eventually the manufacturers will quit selling to them.

Either way...
    the anti's win.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    When did common sense ever matter .......... when unmitigated control is the goal?

Can't decide whether this is more absurd than ballistic finger-printing or not ........... hmmm - yes, it's even more stupid.

No logic whatsoever. Their only desire is power and control.
    And as long as blind, uninformed sheeple voters continue to vote them in we will continue to have to endure these senseless and restricting laws being passed.

"LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER".

Given the level of brilliance demonstrated by the legislators in California, I wouldn't be surprised if their next great idea isn't a law that would require everyone who uses a gun to write their name, address, and phone number on each and every bullet with a sharpie pen.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Assistant Administrator
    write their name, address, and phone number on each and every bullet with a sharpie pen.
    Brilliant - think of all the squandered money that could save Tell ya what - keep it simple for folks - name and zipcode
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Whats to keep someone from polishing off the micro stamp or even change the firing pin all together? Anyone know?
    Yeah, it's called a felony. That disqualifies you from any gun ownership, or chance of CCW. Ever.

This isn't a totally done deal. If we can influence Gov. Swarzenegger to veto this bill, this slows its momentum in other states and nationally. By helping here and now, you're helping yourself later.

Use this link: http://gov.ca.gov/interact
    Gun Control / CON / Please veto AB 1471 Microstamping

Lead Moderator
    Ban California.Too many hollywierd types and nuts loose there anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would just suggest we all write to ALLL of the manufacturers and "encourage" them to stop ALL SALES to any dealer or dealers that sell or send for sale any firearms to the state of California and to make NO (yes read it clearly), NO exceptions for Law Enforcement either.

edit: oh and part of that encouragement is to make it clear that ANY manufacturers that continue to sell to them will be boycotted immediately and any of the ones that actually stop the sales will get all our business.
    Last edited by packinnova; September 8th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: additions
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sounds like someone has been watching too much "Judge Dredd"...frickin' morons

My order for 1k rounds went out tuesday last week. I need to order more now.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm trying to connect the dots to the downside to this...

1) Imposed to identify a shooter in a crime...or at least the history of the gun
    2) Only on guns sold in California
    3) Doesn't start till 2010

I find it an interesting concept...if it works. That is the big question. I do not see it as impinging on my 2A rights.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links