Mich. Lawmaker Wants to Arm Educators

This is a discussion on Mich. Lawmaker Wants to Arm Educators within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work in Paducah (Ky.) where the Heath High School Shootings occured & I can tell you (for sure) that the majority of teachers, parents ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mich. Lawmaker Wants to Arm Educators

I work in Paducah (Ky.) where the Heath High School Shootings occured & I can tell you (for sure) that the majority of teachers, parents & general folks are practical enough to realize that (like the Virginia Tech Massacre) one (1) rational, clear-thinking, armed adult could have STOPPED the continuing murder spree after the first murder was committed. We don't like to think about it. We imagine the "authorities" will always be there to protect us. But time after time...the facts prove otherwise. And if an cuffed inmate can get their hands on a gun in a Courtroom, don't you think a determined student can get one into a school?

Arm the teachers meeting the qualifications. Arm the pilots of Commercial Airliners passing the required tests. How many Judges do you think have a CCW under their robes in court? Utopia is a wonderful fantasy. Let's stay in the Real World here.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

My wife teaches at Battle Creek Central Highschool in Michigan. Wednesday night somebody opened fire on a SCHOOL BUS! There were students in the bus. The school's response was to go into lock down, and hold an assembly the next day to let people know what happened. Oh yeah everybody had to have their ID on them to get in (already a rule). I'm sure she felt safer. I'm glad she's not allowed to carry a firearm at school. One of these hoods might accidentally stumble across it and have no choice but to take it and shoot another bus. Poor hoods it's not there fault.

http://www.wwmt.com/news/bus_37915__...tle_creek.html
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

The media is pushing this way to literal. First of all not all teachers would be carrying. Hell maybe only 2 or 3 would be in a whole school or maybe non at all. The administration of the school has the say of yes or no on who carries if anybody at all. If the law did pass it does not mean schools have to have guns it only means the option is on the table.

Next, we need to quit saying teachers like they are different then you and me. I am a father of three. Two if which are still in school. I have a title in my job, but it is not who I am, it is what I do. I manage to do my job and I carry a gun on a daily basis. I am smart enough to do my job, carry a gun and know what has to be done and how to use it if the time comes. I shoot at least once every two weeks and I am confident in my abilities with it. I could just as easily be a teacher and still feel and act the same way. I am an average American and teachers are too.

This is not the ultimate answer but it is a start. God forbid a school shooting ever happens again but if it did and a teacher that was carrying managed to stop it we would see the tides turn real quick. CEZ's would not exist anymore and that is the goal.

Please remember that teachers are people to, just like me and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    Next, we need to quit saying teachers like they are different then you and me. I am a father of three. Two if which are still in school. I have a title in my job, but it is not who I am, it is what I do.
    Not really true.

Just like trends can be found in any other demographic information, a person's career is usually an indicator of many things. Everyone hates to use the word "stereotype" for some reason, but stereotypes exist because they're usually true. In the case of professions, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to take a poll and find that public school teachers (or worse, college professors) are generally much more liberal than, say, engineers. We saw this regularly back in college, where all the conservative thought was mostly confined to the engineering department, and the liberal arts department was full of (surprise, surprise) liberal thinking. I'm sure there's also been lots of research correlating different careers with different personality types; different types of people naturally migrate to certain careers that suit them more.

It's not too different from the phenomenon that people in Utah are generally more conservative than those in Massachusetts or even Michigan, except that it's even easier for people to choose their career than their state of residence.

Now of course, this doesn't mean that all teachers are liberal and anti-self-defense, just that it's more likely than in the general population, which I believe to be true. However, the idea behind this proposed law is a good one: interested teachers (I'm thinking the ones in the science department will be more interested than others) should have the option to concealed-carry if they choose, so they can protect themselves and their students.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the example of the country of Israel, where armed teachers and parents are the rule, and actually required for many functions. Some years ago, they had problems with terrorists killing children on field trips. Now, by law they must have armed chaperones; terrorists haven't bothered their schoolkids any more.

I guess if Al Qaeda decides to pull a Beslan over here, we're pretty much screwed. Thanks a lot, Brady bunch.

To quote another member. Americans are reactive, not pro-active. They don't do anything until they have to. Talking about stereotyping. I just stereotyped a country. It will take a major hurting to get their heads out of the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    To quote another member. Americans are reactive, not pro-active. They don't do anything until they have to. Talking about stereotyping. I just stereotyped a country. It will take a major hurting to get their heads out of the sand.
    I really don't like it, but have to agree with your statement. It takes something very large to wake up the that are in our country.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    I really don't like it, but have to agree with your statement. It takes something very large to wake up the that are in our country.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree completely. However, it does happen now and then. The illegal immigration issue for instance seems to be waking people up like no issue in quite some time, and more interestingly, they're going against all the politicians on this issue, since most of the politicians (being elitist pro-North-American-union types) are completely in favor of illegal immigration. However, it's one of those issues where there's still a lot of people on the other side. Personally, I think we should try a compromise on illegal immigration: everyone who is in favor of it should be required to house 50 illegal aliens in their house, at their own expense. That would probably change their minds pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links