America's Gun Culture Must Change

This is a discussion on America's Gun Culture Must Change within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I truly feel sorry for this pathetic little girl who rambles on about matters of which she knows nothing about. Perhaps when she leaves the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America's Gun Culture Must Change

I truly feel sorry for this pathetic little girl who rambles on about matters of which she knows nothing about. Perhaps when she leaves the hallowed halls of her College quad she will realize how hard things really are. Perhaps touring Afganistan or Sierra Leone or Somalia with her Man vs Nature survival television training w/o a firearm might dissuade her..Wait a GUY wrote this? My bad !!!!

2. Remove Ads

They say the odds of us needing a gun to protect ourselves are slim. If we do get in a situation where a gun could of saved our life or someone we love they want us to take comfort that the police will do everything they can to catch our murderer. If all guns in this country did disappear then what would happen to the Brady bunch and all their followers. Would they just pack up and close shop. The Brady bunch do not want guns to disappear. It is their lively hood. It keeps them going. It gives them something to talk about during cocktail hour. Who do they think they are fooling. They do just enough to keep their little bit of power.

VIP Member
    The simple fact is that guns serve no tangible purpose anymore. The main reason why we created the whole Second Amendment was something along the lines of protecting ourselves back in the 1700s from the people we stole our land from; aka Native Americans, who, in my book, we should still be paying reparations to as an apology for the numerous instances of rape, theft and murder that occurred at the hands of 'true' Americans. Oh, and we can never forget the necessity of a firearm to protect your log cabin from being invaded by bears.
    Anyone who is this ignorant of our history has forfeited the right to be heard. If one reads the writings of those who gave us the Second Amendment it is inescapably clear that the reason for the Second Amendment is to provide citizens with a way to protect themselves from the government primarily and as a secondary purpose - self defense. National or state defense comes in third in the purposes.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by senseiturtle View Post
    1) The thing about 22 year olds, they think they know everything. Zero world experience, as well as chock-full of idealistic rhetoric poured into them by professors who don't spend much time outside.
    Ok Sensai, let's have a chat. Not too long ago, in fact it was 6 years ago, I was a 22 year old, active on my college Campus and I had to hear that same ridiculous line:
    "You are 22 and haven't even gotten into the real world. You have no idea what you are talking about!"
    Problem is, I was active in a political organization on campus and was debating with a Theory professor about gun rights. Let me just say that my thoughts then are no different now.

This boob may in fact be the dumbest form of biological matter to have ever walked the earth. Quite frankly, I might agree with you, if you had said that.

Just keep in mind that there are 22 year olds in this world who stand with us when it comes to gun rights and they maybe called the very same thing you called this guy, when he/she stands up for what we believe in.

Just my $0.02!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

a "Fifth" year Senior.

Five years of College down the drain.

oops, sorry. I thought he was in his fifth year, not fifth semester

Still, 5 semesters of college down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Ok Sensai, let's have a chat. Not too long ago, in fact it was 6 years ago, I was a 22 year old, active on my college Campus and I had to hear that same ridiculous line:

Problem is, I was active in a political organization on campus and was debating with a Theory professor about gun rights. Let me just say that my thoughts then are no different now.

This boob may in fact be the dumbest form of biological matter to have ever walked the earth. Quite frankly, I might agree with you, if you had said that.

Just keep in mind that there are 22 year olds in this world who stand with us when it comes to gun rights and they maybe called the very same thing you called this guy, when he/she stands up for what we believe in.

Just my $0.02!
    Hey BigE,

I do wish to thank you for your post, as well as the inital PM. Don't worry, you haven't hurt my feelings. In fact, I'm only 24 years old, and was an undergraduate myself only a few moons ago.

I've noticed a few things about undergraduate college students-

1) The loudest ones are either very liberal, protesting something (like our article writer)... or the fire-and-brimstone types condemning (sp?) everyone to Hades who walks past.

2) The quietest types are generally conservative, and rather than vocally express their beliefs, they're "conservative" about their speech, and mainly keep to themselves. The Silent Majority, they're called.

Of course we have all types... and the more people who see the light of day, especially those over 18, the better! We need as many votes as we can to see the proper gun legislation (or lack thereof) happen. I define proper as those laws that everyone will agree to, not catering to a specific interest group, and sticks to the original spirit and letter of the constitution.

I will, however, point out that professors are a HUGE MAJORITY towards the liberal side, and they are not so silent in the classrooms. In fact, even in Louisiana, I was exposed to a lot of unreasonable anti-bush propaganda (like blaming him for hurricanes, global warming, etc.), as well as a series of asides that may be considered indoctornation.

Sadly, some of my associates who are looking for something to be loud about, have found their cause.

Happy shooting!

Wow....I'm not sure I've read an article from a bigger fool in a long, long time. This poor kid just has no clue what he is talking about at all.

All the schooling and all he ever did was learn to repeat the same stupid liberal crap that his professors spoon fed him. I wonder if he will ever learn to think for himself. Most likely not until he is assaulted at some point. Then the light of understanding about the 2A might click on.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    They say the odds of us needing a gun to protect ourselves are slim. If we do get in a situation where a gun could of saved our life or someone we love they want us to take comfort that the police will do everything they can to catch our murderer. If all guns in this country did disappear then what would happen to the Brady bunch and all their followers. Would they just pack up and close shop. The Brady bunch do not want guns to disappear. It is their lively hood. It keeps them going. It gives them something to talk about during cocktail hour. Who do they think they are fooling. They do just enough to keep their little bit of power.

Police don't really prevent crime. They write reports and call someone to shovel your guts out of the road.

VIP Member
    The cicadas in the trees make more coherent noise than this guy. My eyes glazed over somewhere in the middle of the second paragraph.

But I think he was saying, "My experience in the real world is limited to my school dorm, and I prefer to have my meat shot for me, and to call the cops to defend me, because I'm too righteous to do it myself."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Tellingly, there were 116 comments posted when I read the article. Every single one of them (and I read them all, it's a slow day) were opposed to the "argument" presented.

I must say, I was depressed to read such a rambling, poorly written, uninformed and misleading article published in a college newspaper - even if it is an opinion piece. Sad, sad state of affairs in that journalism department, to be sure.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Inreading the article and all the comments, it made me wonder if it was just put out as a troll, to see what kind of response it would elicit. It's very poorly written grammatically, and the content just seems juvenile. Doesn't make sense that the newspaper of a major university like UCONN would let such a piece go unedited. Weird.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My reply to the article is - "The Author Needs To Grow Up And Get A Life".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I posted the following comment to the awful article:

Weapons actually are required for self defense & Liberty, & always have been. The only difference between today & Thousands of years of history is the evolution of the best choice of weapon for self defense. Long ago they used Stones attached to sticks. Then they invented arrows & swords. Today the best tools to have are a handgun for portability to allow you to fight your way back to your shotgun kept in the safe.

Human nature guarantees that there will ALWAYS be someone or some group who wants to take what you have - that might be your freedoms, your body &/or life, or if you are lucky it might only be your money. Unfortunately there are many dead victims who were told all they needed to do was give up their money before they get killed to avoid leaving witnesses. In any case if you want to be able to defend your life & your freedom, you must be armed with the best possible weapon that will give you the best chance to ward of any enemy that might attack.

If you try to ban guns, only the criminals will have them. Just look at the UK or Washington DC. Only the criminals have guns there & the crime is skyrocketing with the mountain of disarmed victims piling up. At least in the US the majority of gun deaths are actually criminals killing criminals, as more than 2.5 Million crimes are averted every year by armed citizens defending themselves. Best of all, 98% of the time they don't even need to fire a single shot.

The reason for the 2nd amendment was that our founders had just experienced England trying to disarm them in preparation for keeping them enslaved as a tax generating land to bring wealth & riches back to the King. It was actually England's efforts to disarm the people that triggered the revolutionary war. Our founders wanted to make sure that the US government never tried to do that to its own citizens. They also understood the fact that having arms for self defense of life & liberty is a right granted by God, that must be protected always.
    My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Tellingly, there were 116 comments posted when I read the article. Every single one of them (and I read them all, it's a slow day) were opposed to the "argument" presented.

I must say, I was depressed to read such a rambling, poorly written, uninformed and misleading article published in a college newspaper - even if it is an opinion piece. Sad, sad state of affairs in that journalism department, to be sure.
    The best one I saw was a guy who wrote; You sir are a bloody idiot, keep your dirty liberal hands off of my 2A rights you whinny tree hugger!
    How Fitting!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links