The "Assault Weapon" disinformation continues

This is a discussion on The "Assault Weapon" disinformation continues within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've highlighted a few gems for anyone whose blood pressure is too low. My favorite is how they repeatedly say the nutcase in FL used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Assault Weapon" disinformation continues

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

The "Assault Weapon" disinformation continues

I've highlighted a few gems for anyone whose blood pressure is too low.

My favorite is how they repeatedly say the nutcase in FL used an assault weapon, and then go on to correctly define "assault weapon" as a select-fire rifle! Unfortunately, only someone who already knows what an assault weapon really is would catch this.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sou...a_tab01_layout

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    Officials seeing more assault rifles used in South Florida crimes
    By Robert Nolin

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

September 16, 2007

An extraordinarily violent day in South Florida which began with the shooting of four police officers south of Miami and ended with the death of the gunman in Pembroke Pines brought home a disturbing fact of life: More offenders are taking to the streets with high-powered assault weapons.

"You can buy an assault rifle for about $200," said Carlos Baixauli, a special agent with the Miami district office of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "That gives you a lot of firepower with the flick of a finger."

Police say Shawn Labeet used an assault weapon (remember this part) to gun down Miami-Dade Officer Jose Somohano, 37, Thursday morning during a vehicle stop in south Miami-Dade County. Labeet also shot Jody Wright, 31, who suffered a serious leg wound, and Christopher Carlin, 34, and Tomas Tundidor, 37, who were nicked.

"I would say they were pretty much outgunned," Miami-Dade spokeswoman Cmdr. Linda O'Brien said. "This guy used a military-grade, or assault, weapon (not true at all)."

Police would not specify which type of gun Labeet used, nor would they categorize the six assault weapons and three pistols they said he had purchased under the name of a Jacksonville man whose identity he had assumed. Officers shot and killed Labeet on Thursday night at a Pembroke Pines condo after he refused to drop a 9 mm pistol, police said.

O'Brien said officers are encountering assault weapons more often in recent years. "We're seeing those cases more and more frequently ... shooting not only police but innocent people as well," she said, citing a Miami shooting three years ago in which an officer survived a wound from an assault weapon.

In 2005, Miami-Dade police reported two killings involving an assault rifle; last year there were 10. The Miami Police Department said 15 of its 79 homicides last year involved assault weapons, up from the year before. This year so far, 12 of 60 killings have involved the high-power guns.

Meant for war, assault rifles such as the notorious AK-47, the favorite of guerrilla fighters around the world, can spit a lethal spray of up to 600 rounds a minute when in full automatic mode. (while technically correct, this statement has absolutely no bearing on the weapons used in the incident in FL!)

Their potent punch leaves officers equipped with traditional handguns at a disadvantage. (Never mind that officers are often equipped with true assault weapons now)

"It's almost like we have water pistols going up against these high-powered rifles," said John Rivera, president of the Dade County Police Benevolent Association.

"More and more of these assault rifles are being used in crimes," said Jeffrey Gorley, of the Regional Community Collaboration on Violence, a gun control organization. "Criminals thrive on power and want to have that authority, so they have these assault rifles."

Figures on how many assault weapons are on the nations' streets vary or are not current. In 1989, the Institute for Research on Small Arms in International Security reported there were 4 million assault rifles in the United States, making up just under 2 percent of all guns in the country.

One study said between 1992 and 1996, assault weapons accounted for 10 percent of all police murders involving firearms. Conventional weapons, it should be pointed out, can be just as deadly: the U.S. Bureau of Justice statistics reported that of the 687 officers killed by firearms from 1982 through 1993, more were felled by .38-caliber revolvers than any other type of gun.

Federal law makes it illegal to possess a fully automatic weapon without a special license (and the NFA is still very much in effect). In 1994, Congress banned even single-fire guns that bore the characteristics of assault weapons: collapsible stock, bayonet mount, pistol grip or threaded muzzle. The 10-year ban expired in September 2004; Congress did not reinstate it.

Many police organizations and departments support a revival of the ban. "That would be something for legislators to look at, something to be explored," O'Brien said.

Friday, Miami Mayor Manny Diaz called on fellow mayors at a conference in Trenton, N.J., to urge Congress to revisit the assault weapon ban.

"Since the expiration of the ban, we have seen an upward spike in the number of assault weapons," (of course you have, they were legal again!) Diaz said. "These high-powered weapons designed for war have no business in our streets and certainly no business in the hands of criminals."

Broward County Commissioner John Rodstrom also would like to see the ban resurrected. Assault weapons, he said, belong on a battlefield, not city streets. And it's unsportsmanlike to use one in hunting, he said.

"I don't see any reason why we should allow assault weapons except in the military," (hm, I wonder if that includes law enforcement agencies....) Rodstrom said. "Our law enforcement people should not have to come up against one of them."

But even Gorley, the gun control advocate, conceded a ban would only go so far in reducing firepower in the street.

"We have to change the laws," he said, "but changing the law is not going to stop a criminal." (Finally!! A gleam of truth! Remind me again why we need new laws if criminals will just continue ignoring them?)

Staff Writer Ruth Morris and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Robert Nolin can be reached at rnolin@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4525. (This man deserves a friendly educational email)

2. Remove Ads

Quoted, "We have to change the laws," he said, "but changing the law is not going to stop a criminal." (Finally!! A gleam of truth! Remind me again why we need new laws if criminals will just continue ignoring them?)"

+1 !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    You can buy an assault rifle for about $200,"
    Well I guess if you consider an SKS to be an assault rifle, you could.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

For all we know the BG had a 10/22 with a 30 round mag, folding stock, and pistol grip.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

VIP Member
    Call me paranoid but there is something bothering me about this whole ordeal. I am running these thought with the info I have. Officer Samohano died due to a shot in the neck & officer Jody Wright was wounded in the leg. I don't know what kind of wounds officers Christopher Carlin and Tomas Tundidor had but they were treated & released the same day.
    Why do I have the feeling that they were shot with a handgun instead of the AK-type?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"These high-powered weapons designed for war have no business in our streets
    1: Best I can tell, there are not any wars being fought within our borders, and best I can tell, LEO's are employed as peace officers, not soldiers of war, so why do so many Law Enforcement Agencies consider "assault weapons" standard issue?

2: If they have no business on our streets than why hasn't the Good Mayor issued an executive order having them pulled out of every city owned vehicle and building?

I'll make a deal with this misguided mayor. If he can convince every law enforcement agency in the U.S. to cease any and all use of their "Assault Weapons," I will turn mine in and ask my friends to do the same.

Please be advised that I am now 28 years old and as the average life span in my family is 72, he has about 45 years to do his part before I am willing to turn my weapons over.

Good Luck Mr. Mayor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....8&postcount=30

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks
    according to my brother who is an officer for Metro-Dade Police Department, Labeet was using an SKS rifle and not an AK-47. The AK-47 was added by media, the term MDP used was an " an SKS which is ak-style assault rifle". He only shot 11 rounds of his 30rnd mag, and they found 19 rounds when they recovered the rifle.
    Also, during the search of the houses in the area, they found 2 marijuana grow houses. The police was alarmed even more by this because Labeet parked his getaway car next to the first grow house they found and the 2nd was only a few hundred yards away.

Remember that, in the eyes of an anti, several rifles are "assault" rifles. The Mini-14, SKS, AK-47, AR-15 and several others are among the "evil" guns. Unfortunately education efforts have little affect on this belief.

VIP Member
    The rifle was a MAK 90 according to several LEO sources.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Another gun that is similar in appearance to the AK-47. Not as cheap as an SKS but can be had for about $300 - $400.

A true assault weapon is select fire. I defy anyone to find one for only $200.00. of any type.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    A true assault weapon is select fire. I defy anyone to find one for only $200.00. of any type.
    This is true, but remember who is presenting the so called "facts". How else is the "danger" going to be shown so they can take them away?

The concept of the truth is the truth as long as it fits my preception is definately in play here.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    That can't be. The MAK-90 is imported so it has to be a "sporting" rifle. You can't use sporting rifles to shoot at police.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    That can't be. The MAK-90 is imported so it has to be a "sporting" rifle. You can't use sporting rifles to shoot at police.
    Very nice WarCrimes!!!!! Good Catch!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links