Illinois FOID Cards - Page 3

Illinois FOID Cards

This is a discussion on Illinois FOID Cards within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ispcapt The current FOID card is $5 for 5 years. $3 of that goes to conservation. $2 goes to administering the card. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Illinois FOID Cards

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    The current FOID card is $5 for 5 years. $3 of that goes to conservation. $2 goes to administering the card. It costs over $7 to print and process each card.
    $5 in with $3 siphoned off to another fund and $7 cost. My math shows that as a $5 loss for each card issued. About 220,000 cards are issued each year. That comes to about a $1.1 mil loss where the cost has to be picked up by the tax payers. I'm somewhat perplexed as I can't figure out how a $1.1 mil deficit is a revenue grab.
    Sounds like justification to get rid of FOID cards to me...

After all, NICS is conducted everytime a firearm is bought from a FFL -- no NICS for private sale.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You'd be surprised then to see the number of apps rejected every year submitted by people with criminal records, including felonies, who apply for a FOID card. These guys aren't rocket scientists. I guess they figure no one will ever check their names.
    I agree 100% that the criminals would prefer to be able to buy their ammo at the local store, and there are those who are not the sharpest tack in the box, so they'll still apply for a FOID card even though they should know they have a record. All I was saying was that it won't ever prevent any crime, as after they get rejected for the FOID card they'll just buy their ammo on the black market, travel to a nearby state & buy their ammo in bulk, or will just steal their ammo from law abiding residents at the same time they steal their gun. They don't need a lot of bullets for their crimes - just enough to kill the innocent victims. Perhaps 10 rounds if they miss with the first 8 or 9 shots.
    My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Yes, But, it also depends who was counting.
    Dollars in and dollars expended makes it pretty easy to do the count. No big secret. It always has been and still is an underfunded mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    All I was saying was that it won't ever prevent any crime, as after they get rejected for the FOID card they'll just buy their ammo on the black market, travel to a nearby state & buy their ammo in bulk, or will just steal their ammo from law abiding residents at the same time they steal their gun.
    Same goes for every other law. No law on the books is going to prevent someone from committing a crime. I've always said that if a law will stop crime then the legislatures should pass laws making it illegal to murder someone or break into someone's home.

Angry

Dollars in and dollars expended makes it pretty easy to do the count. No big secret. It always has been and still is an underfunded mandate.
    I just remember, the up state and down state PC crooks going around and around about the money or the lack of money. About that time John Dillinger got a card, I also think Mickey Mouse did too. The Sun Times wrote that up! It's been screw up from day one. From Cook County to Springfield. No disrepect to you,I would not believe that. Oh yes don't forget the shoe boxes full money found in the Secretary States home. That's old news just look in the last ten years. The last Govern and the one you have now are crooks. Either party.Yes I,am Life member of ILLINOIS RIFLE ASSOCIATION, NRA LIFE PATRON and also ARIZONA STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION. Sorry just got tired of that's state's bull!

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I just remember, the up state and down state PC crooks going around and around about the money or the lack of money. About that time John Dillinger got a card, I also think Mickey Mouse did too. The Sun Times wrote that up! It's been screw up from day one. From Cook County to Springfield. No disrepect to you,I would not believe that. Oh yes don't forget the shoe boxes full money found in the Secretary States home. That's old news just look in the last ten years. The last Govern and the one you have now are crooks. Either party.Yes I,am Life member of ILLINOIS RIFLE ASSOCIATION, NRA LIFE PATRON and also ARIZONA STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION. Sorry just got tired of that's state's bull!
    I have no idea what your memberships have to do with anything concerning this thread.
    I'm well familiar with the corruption of within the state. I investigated a lot of it, including the governor you mentioned and also starting the investigation into allegations of the one prior to him. I'm also well familiar with a whole lot more of it that you've never heard of.
    However, none of that has anything to do with FOID or with FOID being a "revenue grab". There's a lot of money grabbing going on but FOID definitely wasn't one of them. It was a money loser for the state, not a "revenue grabber". Let's stick with the facts and not paint everything with a wide brush. Facts are it always has cost more to admininster the FOID program than the cards cost. It's easy to figure the costs. So much equipment and so much operating expenses and only $2 per card to administer. Pretty simple budget items to calculate.
    As far as the Mickey Mouse and John Dillinger cards, thank you for making my point and confirming my original answer to the OP's question (4 pages later) which was his inquiry why his FOID picture is the picture from his DL.

Same goes for every other law. No law on the books is going to prevent someone from committing a crime. I've always said that if a law will stop crime then the legislatures should pass laws making it illegal to murder someone or break into someone's home.
    Very true.

I believe in Seattle Washington there is a law that if you enter Seattle with the intent to do something illegal, you are required to notify the Mayor. Good thing those criminals are willing to obey that law even though they disregard the rest of them.
    My Blog: Dustin's Gun Blog

Memberships: NRA USCCA SAF GOA AZCDL NWSA

According to the National Safety Council, we are more likely to die in a bicycle accident or plane crash than an accidental gun shooting. We should ban bicycles & planes before banning guns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links