Defensive Carry banner

Illinois FOID Cards

8K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  swift 
#1 ·
Don't know where else to put this, but I had to renew my FOID (Firearms Owners Identification) card in Illinois and something interesting came back in the mail. I had sent in a photo to be included on the new card, but it came back with my driver's license photo on it.

I guess the Illinois State police have tied the FOID database and the DMV database together. This is interesting because Illinois does not have CCW permits. I am guessing that if I get pulled over the LEO will be alerted that I have a FOID card. To me this is disturbing. :aargh4:

If there are any Illinois LEOs on the board can you tell me if this is really happening. I know that the databases are now linked, but want to know if I were to get pulled over, will it show that I have a FOID card?

Thanks

#2 ·
You could contact the 'Russian Embassy' in Washington...I beleive they could discuss the process that they use in Russia...it's identical to Illinois...:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Arkansas starts using photos on the CHL's starting in December. These photo's will be pulled from the DL database, so your picture will be the same on the CHL as it is the DL.

I dont think its part of a sinister plot though, it was done that way for the ease of it. At first they wanted the CHL Instructors to take pictures, but it would have cost a small fortune to get set up to do it...so instead it was decided to use what was already on file.

Oh...wait...:scruntiny:
Its ILLINOIS. I'm quiet sure that is is a sinister plot and the FOID will be tied in to the DL and the local SWAT team will be notified if you have a traffic stop. The only people that the politicians in Chicago want to have guns are the Mobsters that rule there. Oops, I forgot. The Politicians there ARE part of the mob. Sorry about that...:blink:

#4 ·
I wouldn't have any issues with this if it was a CCW that was tied to my DL, but a FOID? My FOID card says in big red letters "CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon."

If I am a law abiding citizen and apply to receive my FOID card under Illinois state law then I am not going to be carrying a CCW in the state. The LEOs do not need this information when they make a traffic stop. It is just yet another invite for a anti LEO to give you a hard time.

#5 ·
solution: find a better place to live. linking db's like that can lead to nothing good.

#6 ·
I agree and plan on moving, but have to wait for the housing market to pick back up to sell my house!!!!!

Once sold I am on my way to Missouri. :banana:

#8 ·
I can't even fathom the requirement to have a FOID in order to own a firearm. Illinois would have seen my butt crossing the border for the last time a long time ago. Fortunately I didn't have the misfortune of being born there.

No offense to you firearm owners in Illinois, but a FOID card? Good grief, this is America, not some communist country!

#9 ·
If there are any Illinois LEOs on the board can you tell me if this is really happening. I know that the databases are now linked, but want to know if I were to get pulled over, will it show that I have a FOID card?
If you've been driving since 1968 and were pulled over for anything the computer would spit out, along with your DL info, all the tickets and written warnings you've received, whether you're wanted in any state, your criminal history along with your FOID info. There is also additional info that can be gotten just by running your DL or name and DOB. This is nothing new. Been that way since computerization starting in the late 60s.
Your SOS picture is usually of better quality than what people send in with their FOIDs. You couldn't believe some of the pictures - clipped from a family photo at a party, too dark, too light, shot at an angle, etc. Also, there's no way to confirm that the picture you send in with your FOID app is really a picture of you. When you got your DL at least someone in an official position saw the person claiming to be you, saw other identification of the person claiming to be you, saw the person sign the form claiming to be you, and the picture on the DL is the person claiming to be you. If I sent in your name and identifiers and used my picture then I could become you. Once I have official identification in your name I can get any identification in your name. Once I get a couple of pieces of ID in your name I control your bank account.

#10 ·
How about IL drop the FOID card altogether? What exactly does it prevent?

"Papers please..."

#11 ·
What exactly does it prevent?
It prevents the people in Illinois from acting like citizens in other states where there is no registration of firearms, no red tape to buy ammo, no "assault weapons" restriction and not having to ask permission from the Police to issue them a card so that they can buy a firearm or ammo.

Thats about it....

#12 ·
It prevents the people in Illinois from acting like citizens in other states where there is no registration of firearms, no red tape to buy ammo, no "assault weapons" restriction and not having to ask permission from the Police to issue them a card so that they can buy a firearm or ammo.
Thats about it....
The state of IL does not have firearm registration.
To buy ammo you just show your FOID card and pay your money.
The state of IL has no assault weapon restrictions.
The state of IL has no magazine restrictions.
To get a FOID card you answer the same questions that are asked on the 4473. If you have no record nor subject to an order of protection prohibiting firearms possession then you get a FOID card.
The FOID card costs $5 for 5 years. Starting in January it will cost $10 for 10 years. $6 of that fee goes to conservation.
However, none of this has anything to do with the OP's original question.

#14 ·
Funny side story in regards to the FOID card. Like stated we have to show our FOID card to buy ammo. Well I was over in Missouri on a hunting trip and went in to buy some more ammo. Out of habit I pulled out my FOID to give to the guy behind the counter. He looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and asked "what the hell is this card for?"

I explained that I live in the Republic State of Chicago and that it is required for me to buy ammo and posses firearms. They guy then came back with, "Well that is pretty messed up! I had to agree and took my ammo and went on my way.

#15 ·
Out of habit I pulled out my FOID to give to the guy behind the counter. He looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and asked "what the hell is this card for?"
It wasn't until just the past few weeks tho that to buy a handgun in MO a MO resident had to first get permission from their sheriff before they could buy. Permission required for each purchase.

#17 ·
I think Illinois would be fine if we would allow the 51st state of Chicago to be formed and then the rest of Illinois would fall under the "normal" category.

#18 ·
I agree. The City of Chicago has an entire book of firearm laws that are so strange that they are just incomprehensible. If the rest of the state could break off, it would be a relatively open place, I think.
For example, Chicago law prohibits six calibers of handgun ammunition (but any other calibers are fine) and prohibits laser sighting devices. Who came up with this?
But, as someone else pointed out, until a couple weeks ago, here in Missouri I had to go get permission from the sheriff and pay $10 every time I bought a handgun (with a 7 day wait for the permit). Didn't matter how many times I had done this, it was still the same 7 day wait.
And we had one giant battle to get CCW here because it failed in a statewide vote. Our "Chicago" is St. Louis/Kansas City where there are :sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:
Ok, rant over. Sorry about that.....

#20 ·
Whatever legislator invented the FOID thinking it could reduce crime was not thinking very clearly. The math simply does not add up. Someone who would not be able to get a FOID card would already be forbidden from owning firearms. Now lets see, what is more expensive, an illegal gun from the black market or an illegal box of ammo on the black market? Obviously if the criminal can afford the illegal gun the illegal ammo would be small change.

Yet another example of "feel good" laws that make zero sense - kind of like the "we are defenseless" zones we currently have in most of our schools under the "gun free zone" hoopla. Why doesn't anyone that supports "gun free zones" place gun free zone signs on their own front door if they think it is such a good idea? Lets just let all the criminals know that it will be as easy as taking candy from a baby.

Sorry for the long post, just had to let it all out. I feel better now, and I am ready to go buy some additional ammo at my local gun shop - lucky for me it will be without a FOID card. :)

#21 ·
Whatever legislator invented the FOID thinking it could reduce crime was not thinking very clearly. The math simply does not add up. Someone who would not be able to get a FOID card would already be forbidden from owning firearms.
You'd be surprised then to see the number of apps rejected every year submitted by people with criminal records, including felonies, who apply for a FOID card. These guys aren't rocket scientists. I guess they figure no one will ever check their names.

#23 ·
The current FOID card is $5 for 5 years. $3 of that goes to conservation. $2 goes to administering the card. It costs over $7 to print and process each card.
$5 in with $3 siphoned off to another fund and $7 cost. My math shows that as a $5 loss for each card issued. About 220,000 cards are issued each year. That comes to about a $1.1 mil loss where the cost has to be picked up by the tax payers. I'm somewhat perplexed as I can't figure out how a $1.1 mil deficit is a revenue grab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.