Illinois FOID Cards

This is a discussion on Illinois FOID Cards within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't know where else to put this, but I had to renew my FOID (Firearms Owners Identification) card in Illinois and something interesting came back ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illinois FOID Cards

Illinois FOID Cards

Don't know where else to put this, but I had to renew my FOID (Firearms Owners Identification) card in Illinois and something interesting came back in the mail. I had sent in a photo to be included on the new card, but it came back with my driver's license photo on it.

I guess the Illinois State police have tied the FOID database and the DMV database together. This is interesting because Illinois does not have CCW permits. I am guessing that if I get pulled over the LEO will be alerted that I have a FOID card. To me this is disturbing.

If there are any Illinois LEOs on the board can you tell me if this is really happening. I know that the databases are now linked, but want to know if I were to get pulled over, will it show that I have a FOID card?

Thanks
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

2. Remove Ads

You could contact the 'Russian Embassy' in Washington...I beleive they could discuss the process that they use in Russia...it's identical to Illinois...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas starts using photos on the CHL's starting in December. These photo's will be pulled from the DL database, so your picture will be the same on the CHL as it is the DL.

I dont think its part of a sinister plot though, it was done that way for the ease of it. At first they wanted the CHL Instructors to take pictures, but it would have cost a small fortune to get set up to do it...so instead it was decided to use what was already on file.

Oh...wait...
    Its ILLINOIS. I'm quiet sure that is is a sinister plot and the FOID will be tied in to the DL and the local SWAT team will be notified if you have a traffic stop. The only people that the politicians in Chicago want to have guns are the Mobsters that rule there. Oops, I forgot. The Politicians there ARE part of the mob. Sorry about that...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Arkansas starts using photos on the CHL's starting in December. These photo's will be pulled from the DL database, so your picture will be the same on the CHL as it is the DL.

I dont think its part of a sinister plot though, it was done that way for the ease of it. At first they wanted the CHL Instructors to take pictures, but it would have cost a small fortune to get set up to do it...so instead it was decided to use what was already on file.

Oh...wait...
    Its ILLINOIS. I'm quiet sure that is is a sinister plot and the FOID will be tied in to the DL and the local SWAT team will be notified if you have a traffic stop. The only people that the politicians in Chicago want to have guns are the Mobsters that rule there. Oops, I forgot. The Politicians there ARE part of the mob. Sorry about that...
    I wouldn't have any issues with this if it was a CCW that was tied to my DL, but a FOID? My FOID card says in big red letters "CAUTION: This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon."

If I am a law abiding citizen and apply to receive my FOID card under Illinois state law then I am not going to be carrying a CCW in the state. The LEOs do not need this information when they make a traffic stop. It is just yet another invite for a anti LEO to give you a hard time.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    solution: find a better place to live. linking db's like that can lead to nothing good.

I agree and plan on moving, but have to wait for the housing market to pick back up to sell my house!!!!!

Once sold I am on my way to Missouri.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You could contact the 'Russian Embassy' in Washington...I beleive they could discuss the process that they use in Russia...it's identical to Illinois...
    Now that's funny!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I can't even fathom the requirement to have a FOID in order to own a firearm. Illinois would have seen my butt crossing the border for the last time a long time ago. Fortunately I didn't have the misfortune of being born there.

No offense to you firearm owners in Illinois, but a FOID card? Good grief, this is America, not some communist country!
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    If there are any Illinois LEOs on the board can you tell me if this is really happening. I know that the databases are now linked, but want to know if I were to get pulled over, will it show that I have a FOID card?
    If you've been driving since 1968 and were pulled over for anything the computer would spit out, along with your DL info, all the tickets and written warnings you've received, whether you're wanted in any state, your criminal history along with your FOID info. There is also additional info that can be gotten just by running your DL or name and DOB. This is nothing new. Been that way since computerization starting in the late 60s.
    Your SOS picture is usually of better quality than what people send in with their FOIDs. You couldn't believe some of the pictures - clipped from a family photo at a party, too dark, too light, shot at an angle, etc. Also, there's no way to confirm that the picture you send in with your FOID app is really a picture of you. When you got your DL at least someone in an official position saw the person claiming to be you, saw other identification of the person claiming to be you, saw the person sign the form claiming to be you, and the picture on the DL is the person claiming to be you. If I sent in your name and identifiers and used my picture then I could become you. Once I have official identification in your name I can get any identification in your name. Once I get a couple of pieces of ID in your name I control your bank account.

How about IL drop the FOID card altogether? What exactly does it prevent?

"Papers please..."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    What exactly does it prevent?
    It prevents the people in Illinois from acting like citizens in other states where there is no registration of firearms, no red tape to buy ammo, no "assault weapons" restriction and not having to ask permission from the Police to issue them a card so that they can buy a firearm or ammo.

Thats about it....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It prevents the people in Illinois from acting like citizens in other states where there is no registration of firearms, no red tape to buy ammo, no "assault weapons" restriction and not having to ask permission from the Police to issue them a card so that they can buy a firearm or ammo.
    Thats about it....
    The state of IL does not have firearm registration.
    To buy ammo you just show your FOID card and pay your money.
    The state of IL has no assault weapon restrictions.
    The state of IL has no magazine restrictions.
    To get a FOID card you answer the same questions that are asked on the 4473. If you have no record nor subject to an order of protection prohibiting firearms possession then you get a FOID card.
    The FOID card costs $5 for 5 years. Starting in January it will cost $10 for 10 years. $6 of that fee goes to conservation.
    However, none of this has anything to do with the OP's original question.

Senior Moderator
    Thats great.

It took my brother, a Capt in the USAF with a clean record living in Centralia, 5 months to get a card so that he could buy ammo.

Just seems like a bunch of malarkey to me. Ill is way behind the other states on firearms freedom and carry.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Funny side story in regards to the FOID card. Like stated we have to show our FOID card to buy ammo. Well I was over in Missouri on a hunting trip and went in to buy some more ammo. Out of habit I pulled out my FOID to give to the guy behind the counter. He looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and asked "what the hell is this card for?"

I explained that I live in the Republic State of Chicago and that it is required for me to buy ammo and posses firearms. They guy then came back with, "Well that is pretty messed up! I had to agree and took my ammo and went on my way.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rabywk View Post
    Out of habit I pulled out my FOID to give to the guy behind the counter. He looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and asked "what the hell is this card for?"
    It wasn't until just the past few weeks tho that to buy a handgun in MO a MO resident had to first get permission from their sheriff before they could buy. Permission required for each purchase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links