Miami Herald Ediotorial: CONGRESS SHOULD REVISIT A BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS

This is a discussion on Miami Herald Ediotorial: CONGRESS SHOULD REVISIT A BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You guys are gonna love this: OUR OPINION: CONGRESS SHOULD REVISIT A BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS Posted on Tue, Sep. 18, 2007 Since Congress lifted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami Herald Ediotorial: CONGRESS SHOULD REVISIT A BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS

VIP Member

You guys are gonna love this:

OUR OPINION: CONGRESS SHOULD REVISIT A BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS
    Posted on Tue, Sep. 18, 2007
    Since Congress lifted a 10-year-old ban on assault weapons in 2004, the military-style rifles have become increasingly popular as a weapon of choice for criminals and people bent on violence. Seung-Hui Cho used a high-capacity assault weapon to kill 32 people at Virginia Tech last April. Shawn LaBeet used an AK-47 last week to outgun four Miami-Dade police officers, killing one and injuring three. These high-profile killings should be reason enough for Congress, now led by a slim Democrat majority, to try again to reinstate the ban -- or at least make it tougher to buy assault weapons.

Law-enforcement agencies around the country report that assault weapons are now being routinely used by gangs and in street crimes. The rapid-fire, high-powered rifles give criminals a decided advantage in any exchange of gunfire. In self defense, police departments in South Florida and throughout the country are adding assault weapons to their arsenals.

Since the ban was lifted, Congress has been reluctant to try again to outlaw assault weapons, in part, because of the strength in opposition of the National Rifle Association, and because of Americans' growing ambivalence about gun control. A Gallup Poll showed that the percentage of people who favor stricter gun-sale laws dropped from a high of 78 percent in 1990 to a low of 51 percent in 2002. The new Democrat majority in Congress, which includes some members from conservative pro-gun districts, may find it hard going to muster enough support for a renewal of the assault-weapon ban.

Nevertheless, murderous rampages like those committed by Shawn LaBeet and Seung-Hui Cho make it clear that doing nothing is not a viable option. Congress mustn't let criminals get the upper hand. Lawmakers should renew the fight to keep assault weapons out of the hands of determined killers.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm dumber for having read that article.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Dade:
    the 6th burough of New York City.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    And, of course, Mr Morin's cartoon could not be far behind.

If the cartoon suddenly disappears, click here for another copy
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Since Congress lifted a 10-year-old ban on assault weapons in 2004, the military-style rifles have become increasingly popular as a weapon of choice for criminals and people bent on violence. Seung-Hui Cho used a high-capacity assault weapon to kill 32 people at Virginia Tech last April.
    Ignorance personified. The author has language problems and perception problems. He does not know the difference between "lifted" and "expired" as that is what happened to the AWB in 2004. I don't think that I have heard or read even the Brady Bunch calling a 9mm Glock 19 pistol and a .22 Walther P22 high-capacity assault weapons. This is a person I would like to ask one of my favorite questions: When you go outside does your head whistle?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    The writer is being reamed a new orifice in comments section of the page. And he deserves it.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    The sad thing is that the poor writer doesn't even know how misinformed he really is, but he is convinced that he is right no matter what the facts are.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You know, I can see the point of an AWB. IF the lies where true, it would make sense.

But why Lie? Isn't there some sort of truth in journalism law? Shouldn't there be?
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The sad thing is that the poor writer doesn't even know how misinformed he really is, but he is convinced that he is right no matter what the facts are.
    PG, I hate it when people make me revise my pics

Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And, of course, Mr Morin's cartoon could not be far behind.

If the cartoon suddenly disappears, click here for another copy
    Funny how they leave the important part off. The RIGHT of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Standard disinformation.

Miggy, you could just update your "we don't need no stinkin' facts" picture to read "Mainstream Media" and you'd have almost all your bases covered.

Every time one of these articles comes up, we need to flood the paper with letters to the editor. If they get enough of them, some will hopefully be published.

Senior Moderator

That's a great pic Miggy
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Editorial writers seem to believe that the facts are what they want them to be so that their editorial will be "accurate."
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Miggy, you could just update your "we don't need no stinkin' facts" picture to read "Mainstream Media" and you'd have almost all your bases covered.
    And this is how I spent my summer vacation

And I have a special one on the works for the Miami Herald.
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yep.

In fact he's so blatantly ignorant of both the facts and of his own ignorance toward what he speaks of that his piece is pretty much laugh out loud laughable, to anyone who even has a remote clue toward the facts of the subjects he addressed Cho Seung-Hui and his .22LR 'assault weapon' et. al.

There are very many moronic articles and editorials like these floating around.
    Here in MA I've seen two in four days addressing trappers and trapping in this state. Again so called news people and editorializers writing about and quoting persons there in who plainly have no clue they they are stupid/mistaken/wrong and in fact clueless.

- Janq is U.S Fish & Wildlife service educated and certified & licensed in MA to trap game
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Hijacking my thread a bit but I must dedicate this to the Miami Herald

Old movie fans should regognize where the poster comes from.
    Randy Cain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links