Candidates meet the NRA (Merged) - Page 2

Candidates meet the NRA (Merged)

This is a discussion on Candidates meet the NRA (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to see Rudy in a fist fight with Charlton Heston. Here's to Rudy!:hand7::hand7::hand7:...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Candidates meet the NRA (Merged)

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would like to see Rudy in a fist fight with Charlton Heston.

Here's to Rudy!:hand7::hand7::hand7:
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I see the problem with letting him address an NRA convention is that it will seem to other politicians that you can ignore us, scorn us, malign us at will, advocate gun control and say the second amendment is a relic, that its dead letter and so forth...

but when you need our votes, we are willing to forgive you.

No.

If you are a politician and want to take a stand for gun control, that's fine.

But once you start down the left-handed path and sell your soul to the liberals, we aren't going to forgive easily or ever forget.

The NRA should have spoken and told him, and every other politician, if you declare yourself our enemy and if you behave like one, you are not welcome into our house.

He can support the Right to Keep and Bear Arms all he wants to...but until we see some action, its all talk.

He doesn't support us.

He is just aware he needs us and has slightly better speech-writers than Kerry (the deer hunter with his trusty shotgun) did.

I know what I need to know about Rudy.

Regardless of his words, I will not vote for him even if that means I don't vote.

Politicians beware - If you want our votes, you can't just make a speech. You need to earn them.

VIP Member
    He can talk till he is blue in the face but he is not getting my vote. The best way to predict future behavior is to study past behavior.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx
    Contact the NRA let them know what you think. Talk here is just talk. Walk the Walk - contact the NRA.

http://www.gunowners.org/pres08/thompson2.htm
    per GOA here is Fred Thompson record on the 2A

Ron Paul is not perfect but compared to all others he is the strongest supporter of the 2A. Fred Thompson is the second strongest supporter of the 2A, see his voting record on the above link, it is far from perfect.

In my opinion, Rudy and McCain should not have been allowed to speak to the NRA based on their record supporting the 2A.

The NRA needs to pick a candidate to support, now not after the national conventions.

[Devil's Advocate] Right now, Rudy G. is #1 on the GOP side in all the polls. Perhaps they are trying to get in his good graces IN CASE he is sworn in as our next President. [/Devil's Advocate] I'm not saying that's the right play. I'm just trying to get inside their collective cranium.

Having said that, y'all make some outstanding points. My only problem w/ Fred is that he was part of the McCain/Feingold's Incumbent Protection Act of 2000.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    What is the problem with letting him talk to the NRA? If anything he will come away having gotten an earful and learning that his actions in the past carry far more weight than the hollow promises he makes now that he needs us. It teaches him a lesson and more importantly it will stand as an example to future candidates who think they can pander to the antis in their area for their entire career until they need national votes to move upwards. Let him speak and let him bomb.
    Ditto...the freedoms were all enjoy. I give him credit for facing his Waterloo...but he will fail and his failure will echo...

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Does anybody have strong feelings for or against Fred Thompson? So far he seems the most common sense approach to things. I have not heard his approach on guns yet though.
    From everything I've seen, he's strong on the 2A. This segment with him is worded simply and strongly. (ffwd to 1:27 to skip the cuba part)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJlvgL8RPZE

As far as his campaign finance reform issue, this worries me too, but I've heard him say in as many words that the censorship aspect of that bill was a mistake and should be repealed.

I think we're getting a hair off-topic into the verboten policital realm, though.

It is my belief that those of us who want to see the 2nd Amendment protected should be looking at those who will be viable candidates in 2012. Unless something happens between now and November of 2008, I believe the liberal anti-gun folks will sweep the election. I just hope they don't wreak a level of damage to our gun rights that can't be undone by a good gun rights President, and Congress, four years later.

Just my $0.02
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member
    I say let them talk. They will either affirm their position of not supporting the rights of Americans, or they will articulate a position of supporting American's rights. Their record will also be used to evaluate them. I think it is the correct thing to do to let them come and address the membership versus putting our fingers in our collective ears while shouting lalalalalalalalalala! so we cannot hear anything.

By saying that they cannot address NRA members you are basically saying that NRA members are stupid and cannot see through a political smoke screen. I disagree.

As for Ron Paul...The villager had it right. You eat the elephant one bite at a time.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

When I posted the above, I had only seen the national news.

I have now seen the NRA meeting from the start to the end, minute by minute on another tv station.

I did not see this candidiate on the national news but I did on the full blown replay tonight.

Huckabee - former Governor of Arkansas.

from the NRA meeting today, maybe it will be rerun on tv this weekend.

Huckabee for me, is the # 1 frontrunner for the 2A, miles head of others and his views on his web site for me also put him ahead of all others.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Rudy wants my vote?

It is to laugh.

This "man" has a lot of nerve asking gun owners for their votes, "looking us in the face," after what he's done TO us. He can rot in hell.

Speeches and comments by candidates concerning firearms and rights.

http://www.alphecca.com/?p=437
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I cannot believe the guy. After the things he's said and done he wants us to vote for him, and thinks he can get some of us to vote for him by contradicting what he said before. Does he think the entire country is as stupid as NYC?

OTOH, he may not be worse than any other politician: he said what he thought people wanted to hear when he was in NYC, and now he is saying what he thinks a national audience wants to hear.

What does he BELIEVE? He believes in saying what he has to to get elected. That's all he believes in.

Like I said, not much different from most other politicians.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I was watching this crap on the news and immediately after the brief interview with King Rudy G, the president of the Brady campaigned said he thought King G would enforce the appropriate gun laws. I like Fred but he has done so little to advise of his position. I appears to me this election will be won hinged on an Iraq pull out. The conservatives are really weak and have little to offer up. If George Jr. hadn't stepped on so many toes I believe a chance for Conservative re-election would be much better. I just could not phantom what kind of a tail spin this country would experience if Clinton got elected. Lets talk Human Civil rights violations. A step to the new world order. God help us all.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Bill Richardson has a CCW in New Mexico. I wonder if any of the others do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links