September 25th, 2007 12:22 PM
IACP, Joyce Foundation and Rudi Giuliani
IACP has released an 'anti-gun study(?)' done by the 'Joyce Foundation'. Rudi Guiliani will be the keynote speaker at the IACP Conference in New Orleans on October 14th.
Your local LE may understand and defend the right of honest law abiding citizens the right to carry and bear arms but not the politicion police chiefs. Below is just a select few ideas that are being proposed through the study.
1. Gun violence prevention should be included as a part of the regular health education curriculum, added to existing drug and gang prevention programs, and incorporated into after-school and out-of-school programs, faith-based programs and youth leadership development initiatives.
2. Law enforcement agencies should mandate destruction of all firearms that come into their possession once any law enforcement use for them is completed.
Law enforcement is in the unique position of acquiring tens of thousands of firearms a year either though confiscation, recovery or surrender. These weapons should be destroyed, in keeping with IACP’s Mandatory Destruction of Firearms resolution.
The resolution calls for all law enforcement agencies to adopt a mandatory destruction policy, which includes surrendered guns as well as agency-issued service weapons. Once a gun has become clear of evidentiary and court procedures it should be destroyed. This action helps to keep officers and residents alike safe from recirculated
3.State and local governments should regulate and/or limit the sale of multiple handguns as a measure to reduce gun trafficking.
While federal law requires that gun dealers report to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) if multiple handgun sales are made to a single individual within a five-day period, state and local governments may impose restrictions of their own. Such restrictions would enhance public safety by guaranteeing that certain precautions, including the notification of state and local law enforcement agencies, are in place. Examples of current restrictions include laws in California, Maryland and Virginia limiting handgun sales to one per month.
4. The state laws should mandate that law enforcement remove all firearms and ammunition when responding to domestic violence incidents and when serving a domestic violence protective order. These important state and federal laws should be vigorously enforced by judges and law enforcement.
State, local and tribal laws should be enacted to authorize law enforcement officers to remove all guns and ammunition from the scene of a domestic violence incident and at the time a domestic violence protective order is served.
5. In addition to people in situations of domestic violence, other classes of people are at special risk of using firearms in violent ways. These include people with certain kinds of qualifying mental health adjudications and commitments, people with a history of drug abuse and people who have been convicted of misdemeanors involving violence.
Federal, state, local and tribal governments should enact laws prohibiting persons with misdemeanor convictions involving violence, qualifying mental health adjudications and commitments, or a history of domestic violence and/or drug abuse from purchasing, possessing and transporting any guns or ammunition. These laws should be consistently and vigorously enforced.
6. Congress should enact legislation to allow federal health and safety oversight of the firearms industry.
The lack of health and safety oversight is particularly worrisome given the manufacture and sale of firearms that pose a unique threat to law enforcement and the general public, such as high-caliber handguns that can penetrate bullet-resistant vests, anti-personnel military-style assault weapons and .50 caliber sniper rifles that can penetrate armor plating from a mile away.
Here is the report:
Last edited by P7fanatic; September 25th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage
GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself
September 25th, 2007 12:54 PM
No surprise Rudy is in on this. I wonder if his cell phone will ring...
Originally Posted by P7fanatic
"A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?
September 25th, 2007 04:12 PM
Why does this not surprise me? But wasn't Rudy accused of some possible "violent" confrontations by his ex-wife. Would that make him subject to the same scrutiny?
They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Previously known as "cjm5874"
September 25th, 2007 05:03 PM
How about returning the property to the legal owner (if the weapon was stolen from the owner), and if the owner can still legally own one (i.e. not a felon, etc.)
2. Law enforcement agencies should mandate destruction of all firearms that come into their possession once any law enforcement use for them is completed. Law enforcement is in the unique position of acquiring tens of thousands of firearms a year either though confiscation, recovery or surrender. These weapons should be destroyed, in keeping with IACP’s Mandatory Destruction of Firearms resolution. The resolution calls for all law enforcement agencies to adopt a mandatory destruction policy, which includes surrendered guns as well as agency-issued service weapons. Once a gun has become clear of evidentiary and court procedures it should be destroyed. This action helps to keep officers and residents alike safe from recirculated weapons.
- know the difference
is a fancy name for crappy fighter
You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know
September 25th, 2007 05:26 PM
Destroying all the guns that the cops can get their hands on will work every bit as well as destroying all the illegal drugs that they can. This is why we no longer have a drug problem in this country, don'tcha know.
"If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan
September 25th, 2007 05:54 PM
Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)
"First Duty is To Remember"
September 25th, 2007 07:01 PM
Yeah!!..........what the Gun Bunny Said.............+1
By Tmag in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
Last Post: May 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
By Don G. in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
Last Post: October 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM
By OPFOR in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
Last Post: October 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
By austinguy23 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: May 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Search tags for this page
anti gun iacp
iacp anti gun
iacp gun control joyce foundation
iacp gun control policy
iacp gun study
iacp policy gun control
iacp second amendment
Click on a term to search for related topics.
» DefensiveCarry Sponsors