Exposed: Ohio anti-gunners' 2004 & 2005 IRS returns

This is a discussion on Exposed: Ohio anti-gunners' 2004 & 2005 IRS returns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Exposed: Ohio anti-gunners' 2004 & 2005 IRS returns By Chad D. Baus As I was preparing to put Buckeye Firearms Association's latest set of campaign ...

Thread: Exposed: Ohio anti-gunners' 2004 & 2005 IRS returns

By Chad D. Baus

As I was preparing to put Buckeye Firearms Association's latest set of campaign finance report figures on this website, I was reminded of a figure who has been appearing frequently in news stories about 'Castle Doctrine' legislation - someone I haven't much cared to spend time on in the past year or so because, frankly, she hasn't much mattered.

That someone is Toby Hoover, who heads what University of Toledo professor Brian Patrick memorably referred to at the NRA's 2005 Annual Meeting and Convention as a “coalition of two” (the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, or OCAGV).

Hoover never releases reports like ours, because she has cloaked the OCAGV behind a declaration of being a tax-exempt, not-for-profit charity, or as the IRS refers to it, a 501(c)(3).

As I revealed in August of 2005 ("Exposed: Pulling back the curtain on the gun grabbers' Wizard of Toledo"), Hoover can't hide everything about where her anti-gun funding comes from. OCAGV is required to turn in an IRS Form 990 each year, which becomes a public record.

It was not yet available to me when I published that first analysis of the sources of her anti-gun funding, but Hoover had already filed the Form 990 for OCAGV's second full year of operation (2004). So imagine my curiosity when I discovered that she had filed an Amended 2004 form soon after the cat was out of the bag - after it was revealed that someone was watching - and that she filed a second Amended 2004 return several months later.

Upon examination of the three 2004 forms, I became even more curious when I examined the area wherein Hoover's corrections had been made.

You can read the entire article here:
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3970.html

That's a nice analysis of the 501 rules.

Nice analysis of the 501(c)(3) rules too - they are going to have an extremely tough time if they get examined by the IRS IMHO. If they're not publicly supported, then the rules get even tougher......

In some states 501(c)(3) are required to be audited by CPA's too - and make the reports public - does OHIO have a similar rule? That could be another source of interesting and illuminating data........

Is the Joyce Foundation a "Private" or a "Public" foundation? Have you ever reviewed their 990? If they're a private foundation, they have to file a 990PF. I'll poke around their website for grins. Ah ha! Here it is, from the Joyce website:

Where did the Joyce Foundation get its money? Do you accept contributions from the public? The Joyce family wealth was based on lumber and sawmill interests. (More background is available in the History of the Foundation section.) We do not accept contributions from the public.

As a PF, the Joyce Foundation has very strict rules regarding disbursements!

Additionally, if Hoover is a lobbyist, why is not a substantial part of her salary considered as a lobbying expenditure too?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sponsored Links