Looks like it's a done deal

This is a discussion on Looks like it's a done deal within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; US Supreme court to decide on the 2nd Amendment! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21039929/...

Thread: Looks like it's a done deal

US Supreme court to decide on the 2nd Amendment!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21039929/

Should be a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Should be a no brainier.
    Should Be!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Senior Moderator
    Should be, but I doubt it will be that simple.

The Court has been reluctant to directly address the 2nd Amendment as securing an individual right, unfortunately.

And they can easily avoid doing so with this case, by ruling on procedural grounds, or by crafting a ruling so narrowly constructed that it really won't apply to any other case.

We'll have to watch and see.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

DC's gun ban is an absolute disgrace IMO. The crime rate is the worst in the country,and when asked about it,they turn around and blame VA for selling the guns that make it onto their streets. Funny,you'd think VA would have the same problem there(not even close). Anyways,I saw awhile ago one of their city council members was asked about the 2nd Amendment,and they said it referred to the national guard only. I don't recall the national guard existing in 1776. You want a lesson on how NOT to run a city-look to the nation's capital.

I don't think this means that SCOTUS has granted Cert, just that it is on the docket.

They will find some way to table the issue. DC, MD, NY, and NJ refuse to do what is right by the law abiding citizens.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I don't think this means that SCOTUS has granted Cert, just that it is on the docket.
    That is my take also . It is on the docket for consideration of cert , no assurance they will grant cert , but due to the clearly differing opinions between districts now , and the way the dc court wrote the opinion they rendered I really feel that SCOTUS will grant cert, after all the current district opinions vary to polar opposites which typically and historically the SCOTUS will not stand for . They almost have to step in due to the disagreement between circuit courts, other wise you have what amounts to a separate, and contradictory law between circuits. I dont personally see the court allowing that to be the state of America .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    They almost have to step in due to the disagreement between circuit courts, other wise you have what amounts to a separate, and contradictory law between circuits. I dont personally see the court allowing that to be the state of America .
    Yep, this is key. Does anyone know when they are intending to make a decision on cert?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    We are living in an age when those who ought to be "statesmen" do not do what is honorable and right just because it is honorable and right, the way they used to. Nowadays, they pervert institutions that are supposed to do what is honorable and right and twist the powers of those institutions to do what suits them politically and ideologically.

In other words, I no longer count on courts to issue rulings that are logical, Constitutional, or based on sound legal principle. I expect them to issue rulings based on someone's prevailing ideological bias. For example, the USSC's ruling on that eminent domain case a year or so ago. That one was just ridiculous, and I feel that a 7th grader could have told you that they read a totally incorrect meaning into the 5th amendment to get that one done they way they did.

So I remain optimistic about this one, since there is SO MUCH data and evidence to support an individual-rights interpretation of the 2nd Amendment; but I know that there is a lot of political activism and corruption surrounding the issue and so I fear it will infect a decision by the court.

I too remain optimistic about this one, though there is still a part of me that really fears this could not go our way.

I would much prefer they just don't hear the case and let the ruling stand as is, that IMO would be the strongest message they could send in our favor.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    We are living in an age when those who ought to be "statesmen" do not do what is honorable and right just because it is honorable and right, the way they used to. Nowadays, they pervert institutions that are supposed to do what is honorable and right and twist the powers of those institutions to do what suits them politically and ideologically.

In other words, I no longer count on courts to issue rulings that are logical, Constitutional, or based on sound legal principle. I expect them to issue rulings based on someone's prevailing ideological bias. For example, the USSC's ruling on that eminent domain case a year or so ago. That one was just ridiculous, and I feel that a 7th grader could have told you that they read a totally incorrect meaning into the 5th amendment to get that one done they way they did.

So I remain optimistic about this one, since there is SO MUCH data and evidence to support an individual-rights interpretation of the 2nd Amendment; but I know that there is a lot of political activism and corruption surrounding the issue and so I fear it will infect a decision by the court.
    What he said. The imminent domain was a flat-out perversion of the Constitution, and the same idiots that said it is okay for PRIVATE corporations to to steal PRIVATE land for the corporation's PRIVATE use (with perhaps a few inconsequential public uses of the land thrown in as scraps) using the force of PUBLIC laws. This ruling should have had the country resorting to the cartridge box to make the SC see the error of its ways... The Japanese government's attempt to officially whitewash its history books was met with a protest of 100,000 of its own citizens (subjects...actually, but that is another discussion). I wonder how many in the States turned up to protest the Supreme Court declaration of open season on personal property rights?
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    I too remain optimistic about this one, though there is still a part of me that really fears this could not go our way.

I would much prefer they just don't hear the case and let the ruling stand as is, that IMO would be the strongest message they could send in our favor.
    Indeed. Letting the current rulling stand will avoid a certain segment of the current court having to resort to the perverted twists, turns, and total disregard of logic and morals that was necessary for the previously mentioned imminent domain ruling. I'm praying that they try to redeem themselves with this ruling.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Links