UN Push for Weapons Prohibition

This is a discussion on UN Push for Weapons Prohibition within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm still trying to find the whole AP article, but this just irritates the heck outta me: Associated Press, October 1, 2007: BRITAIN, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UN Push for Weapons Prohibition

UN Push for Weapons Prohibition

I'm still trying to find the whole AP article, but this just irritates the heck outta me:

Associated Press, October 1, 2007:

BRITAIN, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA and others are pushing for an unprecedented treaty regulating the arms trade worldwide, in a campaign sure to last years and to pit them against a determined American foe, the National Rifle Association. In what UN officials say is an "overwhelming" response, almost 100 governments have submitted ideas for such a treaty, to be reviewed over the next year. There's an "extremely urgent" need for controls on the international gun trade, says Kenya, echoing the sentiment in much of guns-besieged Africa.

Here's more of it:

Nations seeking weapons control

Treaty would pit U.N. against gun advocates, including the NRA

By Charles J. Hanley Associated Press

Published on Monday, Oct 01, 2007

UNITED NATIONS: Britain, Japan, Australia and others are pushing for an unprecedented treaty regulating the arms trade worldwide in a campaign sure to last years and to pit them against a determined American foe, the National Rifle Association.

In what U.N. officials say is an ''overwhelming'' response, almost 100 governments have submitted ideas for such a treaty, to be reviewed in the next year. There's an ''extremely urgent'' need for controls on the international gun trade, said Kenya, echoing the sentiment in much of guns-besieged Africa.

But in the U.S., the NRA said it sees a creeping attempt to limit civilian gun ownership within nations even though the focus now is on setting standards for arms exports and imports.

The international issues ''necessarily will come to involve at some point domestic laws and policies regarding firearms,'' said former congressman Bob Barr, a leading NRA voice about the subject.

''That's not what we're looking at here,'' said Greg Puley, of the Control Arms coalition of pro-treaty advocacy groups. ''The point is to control trade in weapons that contribute to conflict and atrocities.''

The NRA and other U.S. gun lobbyists have helped blunt earlier efforts at the United Nations to rein in the weapons trade. Last December, the U.S. delegation cast the lone negative vote when 153 nations approved a General Assembly resolution initiating the new treaty process.

Now, alone among the world's top-10 arms suppliers, the United States by far the biggest, with almost $13 billion in arms export agreements in 2005 has not filed a requested report to the United Nations with its views on a treaty.

''The United States has not yet decided whether it will or will not participate in (the review), and thus we will have no submission at this time,'' said Richard Kidd, a deputy assistant secretary of state.

The treaty campaign might encounter resistance beyond Washington as well. The reports from Russia and China, two other big arms exporters, offered only lukewarm endorsement for stricter controls.

''This is just the beginning of the process. There will be a lot said on the issue,'' said Pamela Maponga, conventional arms chief in the U.N. Disarmament Affairs Office.

UNITED NATIONS: Britain, Japan, Australia and others are pushing for an unprecedented treaty regulating the arms trade worldwide in a campaign sure to last years and to pit them against a determined American foe, the National Rifle Association.

In what U.N. officials say is an ''overwhelming'' response, almost 100 governments have submitted ideas for such a treaty, to be reviewed in the next year. There's an ''extremely urgent'' need for controls on the international gun trade, said Kenya, echoing the sentiment in much of guns-besieged Africa.

But in the U.S., the NRA said it sees a creeping attempt to limit civilian gun ownership within nations even though the focus now is on setting standards for arms exports and imports.

The international issues ''necessarily will come to involve at some point domestic laws and policies regarding firearms,'' said former congressman Bob Barr, a leading NRA voice about the subject.

''That's not what we're looking at here,'' said Greg Puley, of the Control Arms coalition of pro-treaty advocacy groups. ''The point is to control trade in weapons that contribute to conflict and atrocities.''

The NRA and other U.S. gun lobbyists have helped blunt earlier efforts at the United Nations to rein in the weapons trade. Last December, the U.S. delegation cast the lone negative vote when 153 nations approved a General Assembly resolution initiating the new treaty process.

Now, alone among the world's top-10 arms suppliers, the United States by far the biggest, with almost $13 billion in arms export agreements in 2005 has not filed a requested report to the United Nations with its views on a treaty.

''The United States has not yet decided whether it will or will not participate in (the review), and thus we will have no submission at this time,'' said Richard Kidd, a deputy assistant secretary of state.

The treaty campaign might encounter resistance beyond Washington as well. The reports from Russia and China, two other big arms exporters, offered only lukewarm endorsement for stricter controls.

''This is just the beginning of the process. There will be a lot said on the issue,'' said Pamela Maponga, conventional arms chief in the U.N. Disarmament Affairs Office.

They blame their problems on others!

2. Remove Ads

As usual they fail to indicate the truth. Weapons...ANY weapons cannot contribute to conflicts or atrocities. They are inanimate objects lacking any life or awareness and therefor can't contribute anything at all.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Assistant Administrator
    Note to self -

"I must not comment on the U.N. - it will only get me into trouble".

Oh my - so much I could say
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No president nor any vote of congress can approve a treaty in violation of our Constitution.

Should such a treasonous act be attempted, the citizens of the United Sates would be duty bound to act.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    While I think the UN is a ridiculous, impotent organization that should be banned from US soil (and stop all US monetary assistance,) I have no problem with a ban on weapons trade.

I am not one of those open border globalists that believe we should promote the lowest common denominator of labor practices. Complete free trade will lower the standard of living of Americans and promote job loss to other nations that hae no concern for their people.

That is not, however, my primary objection. The most important issue is providing weapons to our enemies. As we do not want nuclear proliferation, our nation's security interests are not advanced by providing small arms to Kenya. We prohibit transfer of missile technology and DEWs among many other weapons technologies to other countries. If other nations do not want to import our products then who are we to determine the internal policies of any country, whether they have aims to harm us or simply (and naively) think that limiting firearms will solve their internal problems. I can not see any national security benefit to selling or transefering weapons to any arbitrary place.

I simply don't buy this slippery slope argument. We should not make laws, nor should the Consitution be influenced, by foreign agendas. Our domestic policy is completely separate and governed by the Second Amendment. People of other nations do not have the protection of God given rights. It is not our responsibility to ensure the rights of foreigners.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    No president nor any vote of congress can approve a treaty in violation of our Constitution.

Should such a treasonous act be attempted, the citizens of the United Sates would be duty bound to act.
    But I gaurantee you that if a dem gets in the office he/she will try to sign the US in on this.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Long as we don't sign, I could care less. That non-binding resolution will be rather fierce.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Could get really exciting here in the South...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yet no one has acted in regards to the snakes that allowed the UN to build it's HQ on US Soil(treason in an of itself)(oh wait...I forgot...it's not US soil anymore...it was changed to "International Territory") in the first place?
    Dont count on anyone acting. Good men long gone were duped...and we will all fall right in line with them when the time comes. Why? Because each one thinks the man next to him wont stand up with him...unfortunately each would be rightly thinking.
    ..examples you ask?...let's see... income taxes, brady bill, AWB, concealed carry PERMITS, the list goes on, yet I see no one acting...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

EW3
    Well, it's working just great for them in Britain so far...

As Borat would say: "NOT"
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    There's an ''extremely urgent'' need for controls on the international gun trade, said Kenya, echoing the sentiment in much of guns-besieged Africa.
    Yeah. Let's perpetuate the lie that the animals in Africa kill each other only with guns.

They never use machetes over there, no sirree. They never put tires filled with flaming kerosene around people's necks, either. Man, if we can just get all the guns out of there, it'll just be a big love-fest! Damn those filthy guns!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Man, if we can just get all the guns out of there, it'll just be a big love-fest! Damn those filthy guns!

It's an old line, but still 'tis true:

"Politicians really do prefer unarmed peasants"
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    The UN has found itself in less and less of a position to do much of anything in the past few years. It's frought with corruption and greed.. not to mention the timeless problem of politicians attempting to justify their jobs. Who in their right mind would appoint Syria to head an anti-terrorism initiative?! Or how about how a slew of UN Officials *cough* Kofi Annan himself *cough* were accused of (and proven to have) taken bribes from Saddam in the Oil-For-Food scandal. These same twits kept getting work. Or.. how about how the UN Dutch forces in Kosovo were directly responsible for the slaughter of 23,000 Muslims. Or about how most of Africa votes as a block based on who can buy their votes.

Yeah don't hear about those often do you? Because the news like Feel-Good stuff and the UN is just fuzzy as hell. I hate the UN. Utterly worthless. Junk like this proves it. Nobody will enforce it because nobody wants to.

Sorry.
    </rant>
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Yeah don't hear about those often do you? Because the news like Feel-Good stuff and the UN is just fuzzy as hell. I hate the UN. Utterly worthless.
    Beyond worthless -- it's a force of corruption and evil.
    The huge problem is that the public generally thinks of it as a "democratic" force for cooperation and sharing and benevolence...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links