From the situation in Myanmar

This is a discussion on From the situation in Myanmar within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Quoted from a BBC interview in the capitol. "The correspondent described how a middle-aged man in one of the city's tea shops whispered: "I really ...

Quoted from a BBC interview in the capitol.

"The correspondent described how a middle-aged man in one of the city's tea shops whispered: "I really want change - but they have guns and we don't, so they'll always win."

Don't ever forget this folks........

Especially in the current political climate.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    My thoughts exactly - as I watched the debacle unfold.

What chance do they have when so blatently ''power comes out of the barrel of a gun".
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

"The correspondent described how a middle-aged man in one of the city's tea shops whispered: "I really want change - but they have guns and we don't, so they'll always win."

That is an unbelievably simple quote. Someone needs to find out that guys name and see if he'll let us put it on a T-SHIRT.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Beautiful Quote, I'm with you on the T-shirt idea Pack!
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

In the words of Kris Kristofferson, "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Apparently, the gentleman in Myanmar hasn't been pushed to that point yet. Remember how much our founding fathers gave up for the U.S. of A. Even then, roughly a third of the population was for the Revolutionary War, another third was against, and the last third was sitting atop the proverbial fence.

Having said that, your point is well taken.

""I really want change - but they have guns and we don't, so they'll always win.""

A good project for a future nation building US president would be to buy up a million AK47s with 100 rounds each and smuggle them into Burma.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I got beaten to it.

The story there would be a LOT different if the demonstrators were ARMED.

There would be some changes in that country. Situations like that are what the 2A was (and STILL IS) all about.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I got beaten to it.

The story there would be a LOT different if the demonstrators were ARMED.

There would be some changes in that country. Situations like that are what the 2A was (and STILL IS) all about.
    Not to be taken as full truth or any for that matter (rumor mill)...From what I've gathered at least half the demonstrators are monks that wouldn't use them....hence why they only demonstrate and get plowed over. They did this before with the same results...they get plowed over. You can put a gun in someone's hand, but if they feel morally(however wrong we realize that is) inclined not to use it...it don't do 'em any good.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Well, I have a little bit different view. My wife and I run a small non profit and one of the things we do helps support several orphanages there. I also know of a gent who has been trying to expose the genocide of the Karin peoples by both the Myanmar govt and the Thai's as well.

I won't get long winded here but the Karin did arm themselves and are doing as much as they can and are fighting for their very existence and are doing a fair job of it considering what they're up against. This gent was so effective at getting the word out that the Myanmar govt has a contract out on he and his families heads. They have to move about every three months and there have been some very close calls with hit men.

The orphans in that country are all to often killed of by troops or enslaved. The orphanages face constant harassment from the govt.

The people there want to throw this mess off their backs but are faced with a brutal and repressive regime. They have NO weapons or means to obtain them. The Karin have what they have by taking them in combat from the military in their very remote area. The monks are just willing to take the chance with peaceful protest with unfortunate but predictable results. If the general population had a way to arm themselves the monks would be immaterial and the junta wouldn't last long. Instead we have the usual dictator scenario of armed brutes and an unarmed victim population.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    In the words of Kris Kristofferson, "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Apparently, the gentleman in Myanmar hasn't been pushed to that point yet. Remember how much our founding fathers gave up for the U.S. of A. Even then, roughly a third of the population was for the Revolutionary War, another third was against, and the last third was sitting atop the proverbial fence.

Having said that, your point is well taken.
    This is an excellent point, and I don't think people, today, realize that when even founding this country...that there were the similar divisions you see today!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From a citizen in a tea shop........true, profound, and enlightening.

He'd be shot for speaking those words too if he were to identified........by the goverment.

A reminder of our own heritiage and what we stand for and still MUST protect.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

Wow! Sometimes the simplest words pack so much power.

Something else this all brings to mind. When some say they just need to rise up like our ancestors did and be free like us there are some big differences.

For one thing, everyone here pretty much was well versed in firearms that were on par with what the English army had.

Most people owned them.

The English seat of govt and power was very remote and communications very slow.

Today some of these people we may think a little less of are facing an unarmed population for the last generation or more. They don't really even know how to use them if they had one.

They are facing a modern equipped military much of it supplied in the past by US! They have a local seat of power and instant communications. They also have access to limited air support.

I'd say the current scenario for them is a whole lot tougher than what our ancestors faced. Even then we just barely pulled it off!!!

Comments?

Links