Gun Ban Maybe A Good Idea?

This is a discussion on Gun Ban Maybe A Good Idea? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that I have your attention, here's the only type of gun ban I may support. http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/10/a_gu...rica_needs.php...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Ban Maybe A Good Idea?

Now that I have your attention, here's the only type of gun ban I may support.

http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/10/a_gu...rica_needs.php

I don't think you are going to be in the majority on this one.

VIP Member
    I support US citizenship as a prerequisite for owning a firearm in the US. But then again, I support US citizenship as a prerequisite for enjoying just about every right acknowledged by the Constitution....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No ban on firearms, ever. It won't help our cause. This is back wards thinking, if you want to ban illegal aliens then ban the illegal aliens not the guns the illegals will buy while being here illegally. Get rid of illegals and they won't be here to cause the trouble you want to prevent by banning firearms. This is just another excuse to raise attention to the anti firearms agenda, while the real issue should be border security.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I don't think you are going to be in the majority on this one.
    Notice I said MAY, didn't say I would support a gun ban. I really just wanted to see reactions to the article. While I don't support an all out ban, I do support laws making it harder on those useing guns in crimes.

I don't get it.

Really, if your part of a terorist group or if your here illegally, you are already guilty of crimes that you need to be either in jail or out of the country for.

I am not for those people owning guns, I am for enforcing the laws that will keep them in a place where we won't have to worry about it.

As for the foreign nationals, well that gets into a lot deeper water.

I don't think this has any legs to it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Guess what? Someone intent on causing harm to Americans is not going to care that they are breaking the law.

Funny how this is clear as day to us regarding "Anti-Gun" laws. They don't work with citizen criminals and they won't work with the foreign kind either.

My $.02

Based on other threads I have read here and there, I was under the impression that non-resident aliens and illegals could not pass a nics check. Not quite a ban, but potentially similar results.
    ---
    as for this article. I have no problem listing illegals on the list of felonies that prevent firearm ownership - again I am surprised it is not already there.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I support US citizenship as a prerequisite for owning a firearm in the US. But then again, I support US citizenship as a prerequisite for enjoying just about every right acknowledged by the Constitution....
    OPFOR,

The US Constitution does not assign the right to keep and bear arms.

It simply recognizes it to be a right (of People e.g. human beings) that in the US shall not be infringed...

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Foreigners are people/human beings just as are we US citizens by birth or otherwise. We all foreign or domestic as being human have the right to keep and bear arms as being necessary to the security of our individual as well as collective freedom as People,in the U.S. as per our own Constitution.

Sadly the majority of other countries in this world do not recognize this nor many other basic and essential human rights and seek to resist efforts by the People to secure them for fear of losing power over us one and all.

- Janq

"Freedom got an AK." - Ice Cube
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm all for undocumented persons or persons outside the law being denied access. In principle, that's a fine thought. However, in reality it cannot be executed for the 98% of such people, as they cannot readily be found. Laws already exist for actual commission of criminal acts (murder, rape, robbery, etc). Have possession? Fine. Found in possession with intent, or found using it criminally? You're outta here, via the legal grist mill.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    Based on other threads I have read here and there, I was under the impression that non-resident aliens and illegals could not pass a nics check. Not quite a ban, but potentially similar results.
    ---
    as for this article. I have no problem listing illegals on the list of felonies that prevent firearm ownership - again I am surprised it is not already there.
    Until recently, Utah was issuing to resident aliens and, I believe, non-resident as well.

Here is a quote from the thread I rembered

Phoenix, AZ - Three high-ranking Mexican police officers were arrested on allegations of buying weapons and ammunition at a gun show in Phoenix in violation of a law barring noncitizens from purchasing firearms

Right to bear arms is an inalienable right. The Constitution is a restriction upon the government to violate those rights (not that they listen...).

This is a bad idea. Liberty by definition means that unsavory people will get the same rights that you do. It's worth it every time.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

When has a law banning guns, for anyone, anywhere, ever been effective in making people safer?

It's often argued that new gun restrictions will never be successful because anyone who wants a gun will still get it (especially bad guys). Why should this "ban" be any different?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Great discussion. May I add that, while RKBA is an inalienable right, it is not an unlimited right. Just as with all other rights there are limitations that most law abiding citizens understand. Most understand the grave responsibility that comes with all freedoms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links