Doc, what’s up with snooping? (Merged) - Page 3

Doc, what’s up with snooping? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Doc, what’s up with snooping? (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by beardog I had seen an article simular to this a few years back about Doctors talking with patients about gun safety. What ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doc, what’s up with snooping? (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by beardog View Post
    I had seen an article simular to this a few years back about Doctors talking with patients about gun safety. What it came down to was that if a Doctor was going to speak to a patient about gun safety they also had to speak about total home safety or they could be held liable if the patient was injured by something the Doctor had not given them a safety talk on.
    They never ask you if you have a pool in your back yard, even though your child is 60x more likely to drown in a pool than to 'find your gun and shoot himself or others'.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    First off : what if the guns aren't daddy's? I just had to say that.
    Filing a police report would seem to violate the HIPPA law.
    There isn't any way a doctor could assume any danger to the child by the presence of a gun in the custody of an adult responsible enough to bring a child to a doctor in the first place.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    another excellant article from our good friend John Lott. I'll be passing this one along.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

What ever happened to doctors who asked "where does it hurt?"? You remember...before they considered themselves Social Engineers? Between; making sure my Medical Insurance info is current & seeing to it that my children are correctly parented, I'm surprised they have time to practice any medicine at all.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

This is CRAP! My doctor also CC's and we are always talking about guns, hunting and new cc methods. I went for a checkup while CCing. Good choice.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

1943 - 2009
    This topic is already running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33677

The threads will be merged.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

This is a variation on another article where pre-visit documents ask if there are guns in the house. Either way there is no reason for doctors to ask such questions. My response would be, "Having a gun in the house has nothing to do with my kids flu (whatever the reason) or any other medical cause. For that reason I'm not answering the question."

I would PROMPTLY find another doctor!
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Yes! We have guns in the house. We have water in the pool. We have drain-cleaner under the sink. We have Bourbon in the liquor cabinet. We have lawn mowers in the garage. We have knives in the kitchen. We have electric outlets EVERYWHERE.
    Whew...thanks Doc. If you hadn't asked, I'm sure my children would've NEVER made it to adulthood.

Here's an idea...why don't we pay doctors a regular monthly retainer (like a lawyer) as long as we're healthy? But we then QUIT paying them when we're sick. That way, they'd be much more motivated to make sure we stay WELL!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Guns Don't Kill Kids, Irresponsible Adults With Guns Do

I did a search and didn't see where this was running in any other thread so forgive me if it has been posted already somewhere on here.

Good article by John Lott about the idiotic practice of some pediatricians to ask their child patients if Mommy and Daddy own guns.
    My kids Doc has never done this but if he does, he isn't going to be my kids Doc anymore and he isn't going to like the verbal beat down he'll get.

Should your doctor ask your child if you own a gun?

Guidelines issued by the American Academy of Pediatric say "yes."

They warn that "Children are curious even if they’ve had some sort of firearm training. That’s why parents taking responsibility for safe gun storage is so essential.”

Doctors across the United States are being advised to interrogate children about mom and dad’s "bad" behavior.

It sounds simple enough, but the problem is that the advice ignores the benefits and exaggerates the costs of gun ownership.

Take a recent example from Massachusetts that was discussed in the Boston Herald:

"Debbie is a mom from Uxbridge who was in the examination room when the pediatrician asked her 5-year-old, 'Does Daddy own a gun?'

"When the little girl said yes, the doctor began grilling her and her mom about the number and type of guns, how they are stored, etc.

"If the incident had ended there, it would have merely been annoying.

"But when a friend in law enforcement let Debbie know that her doctor had filed a report with the police about her family’s (entirely legal) gun ownership, she got mad."

Perhaps it was only a matter of time. Accidental gun deaths involving children get national coverage. News programs stage experiments with 5 and 6-year-olds in a room filled with toys and a gun. Shocking pictures show the children picking up the gun and playing with it like a toy. For years, the Clinton administration would show public service ads with the voices or pictures of young children between the ages of 3 and 7 implying an epidemic of accidental gun deaths involving children.

With all this attention, the fear is understandable, but it is still irresponsible. Convincing patients not to own guns or to at least lock them up will cost more lives than it will save. It also gives a misleading impression of what poses the greatest dangers to children.

Accidental gun deaths among children are fortunately much rarer than most people believe. Consider the following numbers.

In 2003, for the United States, the Centers for Disease Control reports that 28 children under age 10 died from accidental shots. With some 90 million gun owners and about 40 million children under 10, it is hard to find any item as commonly owned in American homes, as potentially as lethal, that has as low of an accidental death rate.

These deaths also have little to do with "naturally curious" children shooting other children. From 1995 to 2001 only about nine of these accidental gun deaths each year involve a child under 10 shooting another child or themselves. Overwhelmingly, the shooters are adult males with long histories of alcoholism, arrests for violent crimes, automobile crashes, and suspended or revoked driver's licenses.

Even if gun locks can stop the few children who abuse a gun from doing so, gun locks cannot stop adults from firing their own gun. It makes a lot more sense for doctors to ask if "daddy" has a violent criminal record or a history of substance abuse, rather than ask if they own a gun.

Fear about guns also seems greatest among those who know the least about them.

For example, those unfamiliar with guns don’t realize that most young children simply couldn’t fire your typical semi-automatic pistol. Even the few who posses the strength to pull back the slide on the gun are unlikely to know that they must do that to put the bullet in the chamber or that they need to switch off the safety.

With so many greater dangers facing children everyday from common household items, it is not obvious why guns have been singled out. Here are some of the other ways that children under 10 died in 2004.

Over 1,400 children were killed by cars, almost 260 of those deaths were young pedestrians. Bicycle and space heater accidents take many times more children’s lives than guns. Over 90 drowned in bathtubs. The most recent yearly data available indicates that over 30 children under age 5 drowned in five-gallon plastic water buckets.

Yet, the real problem with this gun phobia is that without guns, victims are much more vulnerable to criminal attack. Guns are used defensively some 2 million times each year. Even though the police are extremely important in reducing crime, they simply can't be there all the time and virtually always arrive after the crime has been committed. Having a gun is by far the safest course of action when one is confronted by a criminal.

The cases where young children use guns to save their family’s lives rarely makes the news. Recent examples where children’s lives were clearly lost because guns were locked and inaccessible are ignored.

Recent research that I did examining juvenile accidental gun deaths for all U.S. states from 1977 to 1998, found that sixteen states mandating that guns be locked up had no impact. What did happen, however, was that criminals were emboldened to attack people in their homes and crimes were more successful; 300 more murders and 4,000 more rapes occurred each year in these states. Burglaries also rose dramatically. The evidence also indicates that states with the biggest increases in gun ownership have had the biggest drops in violent crime.

Asking patients about guns not only strains doctor patient relationships, it exaggerates the dangers and risks lives. Yet, in the end, possibly some good can come out of all this gun phobia. If your doctors ask you whether you own a gun, rather than sarcastically asking them if they own a space heater, why not offer to go out to a shooting range together and teach them about guns?

John Lott, Jr., is the author of Freedomnomics and a Senior Research Scholar at the University of Maryland.
    The story can be found on the FOX Newschannel HERE.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Get used to it its all part of the Nazi youth program, oh I mean the patriot act. Ok kiddies turn all your bad parents in even if you don't know they are bad. Things will only get worst if Billory gets back in.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Back in my kid-rearing days, if Doc asked about guns it was because he was a hunter and a shooter and was just wanting to swap yarns.

If one asked such a question now, I would ask the good doctor if he had ever had unprotected sex and did he have a recent lab result proving he was free of sexually transmitted deseases. That is a lot more relevent to the health of my child than how many guns I have.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

As their was no crime doesn't this violate the "Patent Doctor Confidentiality" clause, and shouldn't they loose their license?

At the very least they should file charges with the police for "Filing a false report" against the doctor.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is ridiculous,completley uncalled for and unprofessional.

That would be like a cop stopping me on the road for speeding and asking me if I had hemmorids.
    "No sir, but I think I detected one on my 'rear' when I turned down this road!"

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    My children were NEVER alone with the doctor. If questions like that had ever been asked (they were not), I would have stopped the conversation immediately...no more questions asked...PERIOD!

Some of our family doctors were local friends...who didn't ask questions like that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links