Senate Bill Would Grant FBI Unlimited Access To Gun Sales Records

This is a discussion on Senate Bill Would Grant FBI Unlimited Access To Gun Sales Records within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I couldn't decide were to place this. Mods, please place this in the appropriate forum. I placed it here, since I felt it affected all ...

Thread: Senate Bill Would Grant FBI Unlimited Access To Gun Sales Records

I couldn't decide were to place this. Mods, please place this in the appropriate forum. I placed it here, since I felt it affected all concealed carriers.

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    http://www.gunowners.org

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Registration leads to confiscation. We all know that, and that is why GOA has vehemently opposed all attempts by government forces to compile or retain information pertaining to lawful firearms purchases.

But the United States Senate does not appear to see it that way. People on Capitol Hill seem to think that any "edge" in the war on terror is worth trampling on the rights of law-abiding Americans, no matter what the Constitution (and current law) happens to say.

At issue is a provision in the Patriot Act reauthorization bill (S.
    1266) authored by Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS). Now, GOA has long opposed the vast majority of Patriot Act powers as being detrimental to freedom in general and dangerous to gun owners in the particular.

In short, Sen. Roberts' language would allow the FBI to seize ANY business records it believes would be relevant to an anti-terrorism investigation... without first seeking permission from any court in the land.

Gun sales are business transactions, and FFL holders must retain copies of the 4473 forms (yellow sheets) filled out on every gun sale. Thus, an anti-gun administration could easily determine that such records would be useful in the fight against terrorism, and demand them all.
    (In fact, shortly after 9/11, liberal Democrats in Washington were screaming for exactly that.)

It gets worse. It is conceivable that your local gun dealer would risk his license, his business, and lots of money to protect your privacy and refuse to turn over the records. But under this legislation, the Attorney General could order the dealer NOT TO TELL YOU WHAT IS GOING ON. So that dealer would be the ONLY person who could contest the action before your life is raked over the coals... and honestly, how many among us would risk everything rather than tell the feds who it was that stopped by to pick up a Glock a couple of months ago?

After having used an "administrative subpeona" (again, not subject to judicial review) to collect all gun purchase records across the country, your friendly anti-gun but oh-so-patriotic government would have brought about the gun owner's second-worst-case scenario: a national firearms registration list.

Registration leads to confiscation.

This monstrosity must be stopped. Please take the action requested below, and urge all freedom-loving Americans you know to do the same.

ACTION: Contact your United States senators. Politely but firmly demand that they oppose the bill to expand the Patriot Act (S. 1266), and specifically, its provision to allow "administrative subpoenas" of all gun records.

You can use the pre-written message below and send it as an e-mail by visiting the GOA Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm (where phone and fax numbers are also available).

-----Pre-written letter-----

Dear Senator:

The Patriot Act expansion bill (S. 1266) would allow the United States government to seize every lawful gun sale record in the country...
    solely on the basis of a bureaucrat's determination that a national registry of gun owners would be useful in an anti-terrorism investigation.

Registration leads to confiscation.

Section 213 of the bill allows a designee of the Attorney General to issue "administrative subpoenas" for any business records which, in his opinion, are relevant to investigating terrorism. Even more ominous, the Attorney General could order gun dealers NOT to disclose the existence of the investigation to their customers, meaning that the dealer (rather than the gun purchaser) would be the only person who could contest this action. And why should he risk his livelihood on my behalf?

None of the above is subject to prior judicial review -- it is massive gun control by simple executive fiat.

I believe that a national gun registry is a step this country cannot afford to take, and one that the citizenry will not abide.

I would ask you, in the strongest terms, to oppose this Patriot Act "reform" bill outright, and especially its administrative subpoena provision.

Sincerely,

Defend The 2nd Amendment Through Creative Giving...

As we confront the challenges of the future, we know that the generosity of those who assist us will make all the difference in our success. That's why GOA seeks your long-term support.

Please call 703-321-8585 during regular business hours or e-mail goamail@gunowners.org to request information on how to keep control of your assets and make a gift at the same time through:

a bequest
    a retirement plan
    a will or living trust
    an insurance policy

Requests for information are confidential and do not represent an obligation.

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Thanks for the heads-up. I just contacted my Senators. You gotta hand it to the gun-grabbers - :chairshot - they are persistent!

Assistant Administrator
    They don't give up do they! Apart from what we are doing I hope the NRA is lobbying heavily on this one too.

I have experienced registration's evils, first hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Woe is the 23rd of June, 2005 for this is not the only evil commited. For on this date, the "public use" clause of the 5th Amendment was sticken by a divided bench on the Supreme Court. Legislative jurisprudence has won another battle.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"