OK Fed judge says no locked guns in the lot

This is a discussion on OK Fed judge says no locked guns in the lot within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ronwill While I agree with you, care must be taken when stripping any right. Once it gets started it will be hard ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OK Fed judge says no locked guns in the lot

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    While I agree with you, care must be taken when stripping any right. Once it gets started it will be hard to stop. Just look at some of the gun control laws in the past years. An owner of private property may feel like his life is in danger if guns are brought onto their property.
    Yes, there are idiots and misinformed people in this world. That, however, doesn't strip me of my right to defend my life. Notice that I said other rights, such as property rights, must yield to the right to life. That doesn't mean I believe that my right to life invalidates your property rights, only that when the two conflict, my right to life trumps your property rights. When they are not in conflict, your property rights are intact.

As to employers: I am aware of companies that allow the general public to carry but prohibit by policy their own employees from carrying. That is, to put it bluntly, assinine and violates the rights of the employees.

Prohibiting by policy guns in employees cars is likewise a violation of the employees' right to self-defense of life, unless the company is going to provide transportation from doorstep to doorstep for every employee and undertake to provide for the defense of the employees during the trip. It is not enough to say "park off company property."

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    Yes, there are idiots and misinformed people in this world. That, however, doesn't strip me of my right to defend my life. Notice that I said other rights, such as property rights, must yield to the right to life. That doesn't mean I believe that my right to life invalidates your property rights, only that when the two conflict, my right to life trumps your property rights. When they are not in conflict, your property rights are intact.

As to employers: I am aware of companies that allow the general public to carry but prohibit by policy their own employees from carrying. That is, to put it bluntly, assinine and violates the rights of the employees.

Prohibiting by policy guns in employees cars is likewise a violation of the employees' right to self-defense of life, unless the company is going to provide transportation from doorstep to doorstep for every employee and undertake to provide for the defense of the employees during the trip. It is not enough to say "park off company property."
    As I previously wrote, I really think that we should politely agree to disagree. Your right to defend your life does not give you the legal right to bring a gun onto my property against my wishes. And by the property owner doing so, they are not invalidating your right to life. It is simple: don't go onto their premises or seek employment by the company and your life is not at risk.

You keep refering to your rights being violated, but don't cite any legal source of authority for those statements. I understand that you are expressing your opinion, which I respect. I happen to think that you are wrong, but fully understand where you are coming from, which is why made my earlier suggestion.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    ... If the NRA were smart, they would put their considerable political muscle into a campaign to remove this judge from the bench. ...
    Federal judges are lifetime appointments.

It's part of that "Independent Judiciary" and "Checks & Balances" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    That doesn't mean I believe that my right to life invalidates your property rights, only that when the two conflict, my right to life trumps your property rights.
    Actually, no "trumping" is involved with a balancing of two such rights. Simply, citizens have a right to life. Property owners have a right to control access to one's own property. A property owner's right to require someone's absence stops short of the point of delivering murder as penalty for being present. Likewise, a visitor's right to carry a weapon stops short of the point of that trumping the owner's request that the person go elsewhere. Unless murder is given in exchange for entry to a property, no deprivation of life has occurred.

I, too, would love to carry anywhere and everywhere I go. But not at the expense of having say over who enters my home. Balance over absolutism. We're fortunate that this principle still stands.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links