Archery Park in Wisconsin bans archery

This is a discussion on Archery Park in Wisconsin bans archery within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While this isn't firearms related, arms means arms. Yahoo is reporting: EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - The city's Archery Park may need a name change. How ...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

While this isn't firearms related, arms means arms.

Yahoo is reporting:

EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - The city's Archery Park may need a name change. How about No-Archery Park?

Tom Draper was surprised recently when he found a sign that cited a city ordinance prohibiting bows and arrows.

"Several archers that I've talked to are kind of in disbelief," Draper said, who along with his bowhunting friends have practiced archery at the park for more than 20 years.

The park is next to the Eau Claire River, and the city had developed earthen berms and even an archery tower for deer hunters to practice shooting from a platform.

Wooded hillsides helped provide barriers to arrows flying out of the park, but it wasn't enough, Parks Superintendent Phil Johnson said.

The park was closed to archery in September after a neighbor complained of finding an arrow in his yard, Johnson said. It was the latest of several similar complaints from neighbors over 15 years or more, he said.

"Everybody's been most gracious about it up to this point, but the person has a legitimate concern," Johnson said.

Draper said he would like the city to appoint a committee of neighbors, archers and city representatives to review the situation.
    Nothing like changing an age old law.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    Nothing like moving in next to an archery range, and then raising hell because there is an archery range next door......

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Nothing like moving in next to an archery range, and then raising hell because there is an archery range next door......

Matt
    How about when people move out from the city into farm country then complain about the smells, dust from harvesting and whatnot.

If they moved in next to an archery park then they should have thought about this beforehand.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    How about when people move out from the city into farm country then complain about the smells, dust from harvesting and whatnot.

If they moved in next to an archery park then they should have thought about this beforehand.
    That is very true, the archers still have the responsibility to shoot safe. I cant think of any reason why an arrow would or could travel outside the line of sight unless the archer was being careless.

We need to police ourselves, otherwise things like this will continue to happen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh, I'm not saying the archers have no responsibility. They have the same as firearm shooters to shoot safely.

Almost as bad as those people who buy property and build a new house within the flight pattern of an 80-yr old base, only to complain about the planes...and start a petition to stop flying operations (!!)....morons.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I wish i lived next to an archery range.that could be my second home away from home.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Not sure, but can an arrow deflect off of another arrow, or in any other way ricochet?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wonder if those arrows are like the ammo found near a shooting range, amazingly still corked in the cartridge cases!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

The guy probably bought it from the local Walmart on the way home.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Assistant Administrator
    More crazy stuff .......... heck - an arrow has a very limited distance and all the folks I know into bow-hunting are experts. Does not seem the sorta deal careless nerds go in for.

Certainly has that odor of folks moving to an area and then moaning about what was there long before.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The park was closed to archery in September after a neighbor complained of finding an arrow in his yard, Johnson said. It was the latest of several similar complaints from neighbors over 15 years or more, he said.
    I find it strange that the neighbor complained of "finding an arrow in his yard" and that there have been several complaints over 15 years or more. What this seems to say is that they had to look back over 15 years to find two other complaints about finding arrows in their yard. Notice that the current complaint isn't about having an arrow fly into the yard. Evidently the other complaints weren't either. If I found an arrow in my yard would I assume it came from an archery range? No, because there isn't one within 20 miles. If I lived near an archery range would I naturally assume it came from there? It would depend on past history. If there had been other incidents in which neighbors had arrows land in their yard I would probably assume it came from the archery range. If there have been two other reports in the past 15 years I would have to do some investigating before thinking that it came from the archery range.

Of course I am not trying to get the archery range closed so I have a different view from some people. For all we know the neighbor dropped the arrow in the complainant's yard.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    The guy probably bought it from the local Walmart on the way home.
    Here is a story that my NRA Trainer told.

The club that we had our class at is always fighting a local developer and homeowners, that decided to build there house 100 years from the back berm of a well established club.

During a city council meeting a home owner came in and dropped 50 bullets on the desk and said that he had found them in his yard.

My instructor said that when he examined them that they were full metal jacketed .45s that were shiny clean with no rifling marks on them.

The instructor asked the guy what store he bought the 50 pack at, because they would probably refund his money since there are unused. The homeowner through a big fit and said that he finds bullets laying in his yard all the time.

These people have no morals at all.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Same situation happened here. Within the past 2 years, the county built a middle school about 3/4 mile away (and across the street) from the county operated shooting range that was established in 1970. There wasn't an issue with it until a developer decided to put a subdivision between the two. All of a sudden, parents of students were up in arms (no pun intended) and demanded that the range be shut down. They ended up moving the range to a location out in the middle of pretty much nowhere. The plus side is now we have a much nicer facility to shoot at, even if it is several miles out of the way.

Links