Small opinion article in college newspaper

This is a discussion on Small opinion article in college newspaper within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this article in the student newspaper this morning in response to an earlier article and I had to cut it out. Nice to know ...

Thread: Small opinion article in college newspaper

Small opinion article in college newspaper

Saw this article in the student newspaper this morning in response to an earlier article and I had to cut it out. Nice to know that there are several more sensible students here at Purdue.

This is in response to Mr. Williams' letter "ROTC members no less likely to misuse firearms," (Sept. 24). Addressing his main point, to say that an ROTC cadet isn't subject to scrutiny is laughable. I spent four years in ROTC in high school, went to boot camp, received firearms training and conducted night operations with and against marines and national guardsmen. One misstep on anything and the Gunny is on you like white on rice. Actually, if I could only give firearms to one person on campus, it's going to be the guy with military discipline.

This brings me to the heart of the matter. Mr. Williams says in his letter, "Why in this age of spree killers would we allow students to carry a gun across campus?" I'll tell you why: Against mass murderers, the best defense is not more gun control. Consider the logic in gun control. People can't be trusted with firearms, but they can be trusted to obey the laws against firearms?

Right ...

The best defense against a spree killer armed with a glock is carrying a glock yourself. Statistically, using a firearm in self-defense is the safest and most effective means of protecting yourself. That is why Indiana, along with the majority of the states in the Union, allows its citizens to carry firearms with a permit. But here in academia, we still believe that by setting up a "Gun Free Zone," criminals, who act outside of the law, are going to start obeying the law.

Williams has a point. There is nothing stopping a student from buying a black market assault rifle and going on a rampage. Yet, we won't let licensed, trained individuals protect themselves or others.

Aaron Reber

Junior, College of Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Sciences
    http://www.purdueexponent.org/?modul...&story_id=7924
    And heres the link to Mr. Williams' article that Mr. Reber is responding to.

2. Remove Ads

way to go aaron.

We need more voices like this...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That was an excellant rebuttal.

from the original letter

But, what would stop an ROTC student who desired retribution or fame from replacing their blanks or pseudo-rifle with real ones? For that matter, what would prevent any student so inclined to shoot his or her peers from purchasing a uniform from an Army surplus and carrying a loaded rifle across campus, without fear of being stopped by security?
    Answer: Absolutely nothing. No laws, no background checks, no registration or licensing will stop an individual bent on evil from performing evil. The only remedy that works is to allow his potential victims to defend themselves.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Someone get a hold of Mr. Reber and offer him a free membership to DefensiveCarry.com

He would fit in well here.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Aaron Reber...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    ........ well put and IMO (and most of us here) totally indisputable.

But hey - logic does not count with anti's
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Someone get a hold of Mr. Reber and offer him a free membership to DefensiveCarry.com

He would fit in well here.
    isnt it free?

Mr. Reber makes me proud to say I'm a Boilermaker. When I was at Purdue in the early 70's I used to shoot .22 rifles at the Recreation Center. I wonder if the range is still there?

Thanks to young folks like Aaron Reber maybe the tide will turn in this country.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

RioShooter, there is no longer a range in the Recreation Center. We do have one in the armory that we can shoot .22s at though

Links