Murderer = NRA "Poster Child"

This is a discussion on Murderer = NRA "Poster Child" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was part of the ILA alerts, and I think it needs to be read. http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/2576/81 Another Poster Child for the NRA Click Name for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murderer = NRA "Poster Child"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Murderer = NRA "Poster Child"

This was part of the ILA alerts, and I think it needs to be read.

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/2576/81

Another Poster Child for the NRA
    Click Name for Bio of Jayne Lyn Stahl
    Tuesday, 09 October 2007
    by Jayne Lyn Stahl

Only a few hundred miles outside of Milwaukee, in a town of 2,000, a twenty year old "off-duty" deputy sheriff, and part-time police officer, apparently went bezerk, and went on a shooting spree, at an undisclosed private house, taking the lives of at least six people. The suspect, Tyler Peterson, was himself fatally shot by "authorities," some of whom may have worked at the same sheriff's office. Many of the specific details of this crime are being withheld, and there is only speculation about the motive. (AP) A mother of one of the victims suggests jealousy might be behind the killler's rampage.

Okay, it's not like this is the first time a police officer has been involved in a violent crime, and okay, maybe we can rationalize this outrageous, and horrifying event by noting what a rare occurrence it is to see members of law enforcement committing homicides. Oh, and yes, maybe it's completely inappropriate to talk about ready access to firearms of all kinds, especially when we're talking about police. But, what does the police manual, in Crandon, Wisconsin, say about carrying a weapon when off duty? Yes, of course, this appears to have been a crime of passion, so one wouldn't expect the deputy sheriff to consult his manual beforehand.

That said, there appears to be far greater leniency with respect to the carrying, and use, of weapons by members of law enforcement in this country than is desirable. Interestingly, as you know, police officers in Great Britain don't carry guns, and that country has a much lower incidence of violent crime.

There are many who will use the "rotten apple" argument iin defense of America's law enforcement, and say that police departments needn't bother taking a closer look at the way they train their recruits with respect to when, where, how, and why they discharge their weapons, tear gas, and tasers. Maybe they're right. The commission of a crime like this by a police officer is clearly an anomaly, but we, as a society, can no more afford complacency, and apathy, when it comes to the actions of those we entrust with enforcing our laws than with those we elect to higher office.

And, factoring the National Rifle Association, and the abuse of legal, and illegal, weapons in this country, out of the equation, there have been way too many images, on the news, lately of policemen holding down an agitated, and anguished 45 year old woman at a Phoenix airport,.as well as rounding up members of Code Pink at a recent Lieberman/ McCain rally, and tasering an overzealous undergraduate at a Florida university for refusing to succumb to campus police after making controversial comments about impeaching the president. Oh, this is only what has been captured on camera. You wouldn't have to be there to guess how law enforcement handled the so-called Jenna 6, in Louisiana, when making their arrests judging by some of the amateur video that has made its way to primetime news of big city police beating up Rodney King, and others like him in inner cities around America.

But, what does this have to do with a clearly deranged young man who, possibly after what may have been little more than a lover's quarrel, does in his girlfriend, and her whole family? Simply this, when we are bombarded with news accounts of soldiers gunning down innocent Iraqi citizens, of Los Angelenos being tear gassed for speaking out against draconian measures targeting illegal immigrants, of riot police routinely making their presence felt at anti-war protest rallies, of youngsters being tasered, whether they be students at a college in South Florida, or young men of color in our nation's inner cities, how can any reasonable person possibly expect anyone who has access to a gun not to model the kind of obscene, irrational behavior that destroyed the lives of six, and will force the state attorney general of Wisconsin to consider what the evaluation process is, and how it is this 20 year old got to be a member of a sheriff's department in the first place. Hopefully, too, the attorney general will place more restrictions on the use of deadly force by the police on the police, or on any human being. Deadly face is no substitute for due process.

While one often thinks of Charleton Heston when thinking about the NRA, in this age of the cowboy, any gun-toting madman will do just as well..

Hopefully, the terrible event that took place in Wisconsin today will compel us all to examine empowerment by weapon, as well as an issue increasingly swept under the table, that of police brutality, and abuse of power. We know we've arrived when the "authorities" who shot the off-duty deputy sheriff to death themselves face review. We have become far too accepting of fatal shootings by on-duty police officers just as we're far too tolerant of those who think it's their constitutional right to bear arms, even when, increasingly, it's at the expense of innocent life.

This officer who fired his gun, and took the lives of six isn't the only poster child for the NRA; each of his victims is, too.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Just another ridiculous article that expects us all to hand over our right of protection because some YAHOO is another state shot and killed somebody.

Yeah...
    that makes alot of sense...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well you know these things wouldn't happen if only the police and military had guns. Oh wait a minute... he was a cop.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Media coverage of this, media coverage of that...yada yada yada.
    Maybe we should outlaw the media, oh wait, that's covered in the Bill of Rights too!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunflint View Post
    Well you know these things wouldn't happen if only the police and military had guns. Oh wait a minute... he was a cop.
    Read the article...he wants to take guns away from cops, too. Because, obviously, the mere presence of a gun turns any human being into a murderous psychopath. That's why the folks on this forum have such a high body count.... Oh, wait.....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It should come as no surprise that anti gun pundents will increasingly use each and every firearm involved violent crime as yet another reason to amend the Bill Rights to reduce or eliminate the protection of the right to keep and bear arms.

I recently read that the number one killer of children of toddler age was by drowning in the back yard pool. Not guns, not even a bow and arrow, but the very iconic symbol of prosperity..................the inground pool in your suburban back yard, not guns. In fact accidental discharges by guns killing children was so far down on the list it required me to use the "scroll" feature on my computer and I've got an 18" screen. That report was from the United States Justice Department crime data as of 2005. Considering that Columbine and other mass shootings occured during this data compilation, I would recommend that back yard pools be taxed each year with a surr tax due to the increased risk of your children drowning.

Children were more likely to killed by automobile accident than by firearms in this same compilation of data by the USDOJ report. Maybe Brittany Spears should be the poster child for the "Anti Car crowd" Perhaps the Federal Government should force auto manufacturers to put speed governors in all cars that would only allow a maximum speed of 45 MPH. Perhaps any parent without a child car seat should face a minimum jail sentence of 6 months and a minimum fine of not less than the cost of their mortgage x 6.

Perhaps, just maybe, we should take a look at Illegal immigrants. From most reports on Fox News it appears that we are more likely to killed by a drunken Mexican without a drivers lisence and no work visa than being shot by a bafoon with a handgun. I don't see this as politically incorrect, do you ? If you do, then I'm afraid you'd better question your political affiliation. Hillary wants your dollars.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Frank Lloyd Wright & Bug's Bunny said it best........

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." -- Frank Lloyd Wright

"What a maroon!"- Bugs Bunny
    or in this case a computer with internet access....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"That said, there appears to be far greater leniency with respect to the carrying, and use, of weapons by members of law enforcement in this country than is desirable. Interestingly, as you know, police officers in Great Britain don't carry guns, and that country has a much lower incidence of violent crime."

I stopped reading when I saw that. Since she's obviously a liar or didn't check her facts, I'm not going to be bothered with reading her stupid emotional tirade.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Media coverage of this, media coverage of that...yada yada yada.
    Maybe we should outlaw the media, oh wait, that's covered in the Bill of Rights too!!

+1 my thoughts also.

Administrator
    Typical educated idiot ranting, whining & crying.
    The usual perma-victim sub sheeple mentality.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Like MANY of the things I hear, see and read...just let it go...

The difference between genius and stupidity?...genius has its limits...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The difference between genius and stupidity?...genius has its limits...
    That's going in a signature. Classic!

At first this article really got me P.O.'d, but now I think retsup has the right idea. Just forget about it. You can't fix stupidity..... I guess it's kinda of like going for a walk and stepping in something nasty. I'll just wipe my shoe off and keep going.
    CW

I call shenanigans....

Interestingly, as you know, police officers in Great Britain don't carry guns, and that country has a much lower incidence of violent crime.
    Sounds like the author is begging someone to ask her to cite her source.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Maybe it is time to disarm the police and arm the citizens.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links