Fred Thompson: UN Doesn't Respect Right To Self Defense

This is a discussion on Fred Thompson: UN Doesn't Respect Right To Self Defense within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found this article saying that Fred Thompson had posted on "Field and Streams "The Gun Nut" blog. Fred Thompson: UN Doesn't Respect Right To ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson: UN Doesn't Respect Right To Self Defense

I found this article saying that Fred Thompson had posted on "Field and Streams "The Gun Nut" blog. Fred Thompson: UN Doesn't Respect Right To Self Defense I went to look and sure enough Fred Thompson released a statement to the "Gun Nut"

Quote Originally Posted by The Gun Nut

Exclusive: Fred Thompson on the U.N.
    October 29, 2007

My Fellow Americans:

I will be brief. Yesterday, I was contacted by a Mr. Paul Jon Henke, who handles "new media" relations for Fred Thompson, the tallest Republican presidential candidate who is also an actor. Mr. Henke has sent us the following statement, which the Gun Nut is running as a public service. The statement is about the U.N.'s position on the individual ownership of guns:

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Thompson
    Last year, the United Nations Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights declared that international human rights law requires all nations to adopt strict gun control laws. These “minimum” provisions are much more restrictive than any of those on the books anywhere in the U.S. and would almost certainly violate the Second Amendment of our Constitution.

Besides concluding that all nations are obligated under international human rights law to control the small arms and light weapons to which its civilian population has access, the UN report remarkably denied the existence of any human right to self-defense, evidently overlooking the work of Hugo Grotius, the 17th century scholar credited as the founder of international law, who wrote, “It is to be observed that [the] Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . ,” and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not “expressly set forth.”

There is another disturbing aspect to this call for international global gun control. Throughout modern history, the forced disarmament of people by its government has often been accompanied or followed by that government’s commission of often massive human rights abuses. In fact, no genocide in the 20th century occurred when the victim population still possessed small arms, legally or illegally, with which to defend themselves.

So now the UN wants to disarm civilians? Where was the UN when the massacres in Rwanda occurred? What did the UN do to protect the victims of ethnic massacres in Bosnia? Disarming civilians under the guise of international human rights law will only lead to more such genocides by ensuring that civilians can never defend themselves! It would be funny if it weren’t so perverse.

Thankfully, the Framers of our Constitution recognized this potential peril to our liberty, and enshrined in our Second Amendment the more basic right of self-defense. The U.N. can say what it likes about other countries’ citizens’ possession of small arms being a violation of human rights law, but so long as the United States is a sovereign nation governed by its Constitution, its words will have no effect here. And I am glad for it.
    My own feeling is that the U.N. would screw up the recipe for ice water. The U.N. could not break up a fight between a couple of girl scouts. The U.N. building would make an excellent high-rise apartment site. But I’m not running for president, Mr. Thompson is. Your thoughts, please.
    I read this not as just a statement about Fred Thompson's sense of the UN but a pretty clear indicator of his stance on gun control. I for one have remained a skeptic of actors, body builders & wrestlers entering the political arena though Ol Ronald did not do so bad and Fred did start in politics before going moving to Hollywood where to para phrase Fred Thompson's words they have a better grasp on reality than Washington DC. Maybe, its time for me to review my bias. At least do some research on ol Fred and see what his voting record is like.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Well-said by Mr. Thompson. Despite the forum's direct policy against political discussions, I think this merits posting.

The United Nations has been a massive failure and in some places has encouraged genocide. Thompson isn't just throwing accusations around blindly. Read a book by Dore Gold called "Tower of Babel" - it documents the atrocious failures of that organization since the beginning. Granted, it doesn't talk about the quiet successes, but it undermines just about every major undertaking... including Kofi Annan's bribery by Saddam Hussein under the "Oil for Food" campaign.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The UN disrespects self-determination, at the core. Too often with such international organizations a helping hand ends with a finger up the wazoo, on both ends of the exchange. Pass.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We desperately need our Washington politicians to recognize how useless, and harmful, the UN is to our nation. We need to get ourselves out of it, and its headquarters out of the U.S.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    We desperately need our Washington politicians to recognize how useless, and harmful, the UN is to our nation. We need to get ourselves out of it, and its headquarters out of the U.S.
    +1 and it goes much further than just gun control!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Consider this. How many UN members practice democracy at home? How many have hostile populations? Of course they don't want self-defense, how can you carry out a Cambodian or Rwanda population killing if they happen to be able to fight back?

How to fix the UN, give each member the same rights as they give their citizens.

+1 to what Gimpy said.

SY

I'm votin' for Fred!

Senior Moderator
    Good advice Colin,

I'm likeing Fred more and more
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLoad View Post
    I'm votin' for Fred!

Yeah, I was thinking more on that line till he weasled back from his tough talk about the right to carry on campuses.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

For me, not being able to carry on a campus is a small price to pay to ensure that any of the liberal dems don't get into office!
    Fred's The Guy!

Remember, all those pointy heads at the UN honestly believe they are there because they know better than anyone else how to run the world...

Anything you say contrary to them is only validation of their position in their own eyes.

Eh, his performance during the debates is less than satisfactory for me, it's as if he doesn't know what he believes when put on the spot. Maybe he'll surprise me and step up... who knows.

I read what Fred said and I sent a little donation to help him. We need someone in there that realizes the UN is NOT gun friendly.
    The Blind Shooter....
    "Every Day Above Ground Is Great!"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I prefer the idea of getting out of the UN but keeping its headquarters where it is.

What better way to be able to keep tabs on what those malfeasant morons are doing? We could just bug the place, sit back, listen in and laugh about how we won't let their moronic decisions affect how we live!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links