LEO saw the gun - Page 9

LEO saw the gun

This is a discussion on LEO saw the gun within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh I understand that, but it really doesnít mean a hill of beans to anyone not in L.E., unless we are talking about a P.D. ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: LEO saw the gun

Oh I understand that, but it really doesnít mean a hill of beans to anyone not in L.E., unless we are talking about a P.D. that is so huge officers are a number instead of a person. The only one that I know of that still operates that way is N.Y.P.D., and Iím not sure if they even do still.
    NYPD must be pretty close to six digit badge numbers. You need a large pad and pencil to copy it down !

For some reason, people seem to think that "asking for your badge number" will cause fear and cause you to back off. All I ever did was hand them a business card with my name and badge number on it. Unless a summons was being issued in which case they already had both. Seems everyone likes to throw around the threat of "suing". Rarely do they every go through with it.

As it has been pointed out numerous times, only one side is being portrayed here. Want to bet the other side is vastly different.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

Administrator
    I think all points that could be made have been made, and we are just recycling the same tired points that have nothing to do with the topic.
    Guys, my last point in this thread is this; Before you start whining and crying about rights being violated and those mean LEO's, know what your rights are and are not. Your rights do not rank higher than anyone elses, inclding the LEO's.

I'm out of this silliness.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'm out of this silliness.
    It took you awhile to figure that out...

What took you so long ?
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 9th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Read only the first post to avoid the inevitable.

I would file the paperwork complaint. Sounds like a FNG that needs some paperwork in his file so he'll start thinking on the job instead of just reacting.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

[QUOTE=LongRider;521139]
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post

The guy almost blew a hole in his chest, we both have XD.45 compacts he did not seem to be grasp the concept of a grip safety at one point he had the gun barrel pointed at his sternum, thumb on the trigger with his other fingers on the grip trying to work the slide. Swear to god my mother is a hooker if I'm lying. He was few feet outside my window ( of his patrol car ) facing the front of the car. I tested it later with the gun unloaded and not pointed at any body parts. It appears that he would not have had pressure on the trigger as he tried to push the slide back and because and was holding the grip by the base missing the grip safety the slide would not engage or fire. In all of my life I have never ever seen anyone try to work a slide like that it take unnatural body contortions to do it. In my mind the guy let the fear take control. I don't know if that is something he can be trained out of.
    This is what you should relate to the Chief when you send him a letter.

I don't think the young LEO was out of line for what he did, just HOW he did it.

Take your emotions out of it and become part of the solution by getting the officer some remedial training. Focus on officer and public safety as the issue, not your felony stop.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    file the complaint and hook him up
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If people want to play like the big boys, they need to play like the big boys all the time. Little mistakes can be costly, and everyone was lucky they just got their precious feelings hurt and not worse.
    Absolutely right this guy signed on and gets a pay check to uphold the law and the Constitution. If he has puddin in his drawers and the sight of a gun makes him wet his panties maybe he should get another job. He is very lucky he did not get himself dead. We have kids in a hostile country who every day come in contact with people they know would happily kill them who have full automatic weapons and those kids do not over react the way this guy did.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They had probable cause to believe a crime took place, and verified after the fact that permits were valid etc...
    What would the probable cause be? The legal possession of a car Legally driving the car? Possession of a valid driver license registration and insurance? The legal concealed weapons permits? Or would you be talking about the legal possession of a firearm, properly and legally carried? Just curious what you think the probable cause was to search our car. What crime did they have reason to believe had occurred? If any crime at all was committed he is the perp.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Ya know Longrider, I'm startin' to think you're just stirring the pot to watch it bubble. Either this was a big deal, where the officer made some major mistakes or it wasn't. If it was, you ought to do what it takes to rectify the situation. If it wasn't you ought to move on and leave it alone. There's always two sides to these discussions, the guys that think that just about anything a LEO does is warranted for no other reason than he is an LEO and above the Law. And the people who think that an LEO is just as responsible for his behavior as a normal citizen and ought to be dealt with accordingly. Pick what side you are on and act accordingly.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Ya know Longrider, I'm startin' to think you're just stirring the pot to watch it bubble. Either this was a big deal, where the officer made some major mistakes or it wasn't. If it was, you ought to do what it takes to rectify the situation. If it wasn't you ought to move on and leave it alone. There's always two sides to these discussions, the guys that think that just about anything a LEO does is warranted for no other reason than he is an LEO and above the Law. And the people who think that an LEO is just as responsible for his behavior as a normal citizen and ought to be dealt with accordingly. Pick what side you are on and act accordingly.
    Then there's yet ANOTHER side....

...those (like me) who believe that, while the LEO was justified in escalating his response, the specific METHODS he chose were applied very poorly.

I don't recall anyone in this thread saying that the LEO did absolutely nothing wrong. I think we're all in agreement that he could have (and SHOULD have) handled the situation in a more calm and less threatening manner. And, for that matter, with better control of both himself and the vehicle occupants.

Cops cannot be excused from any wrongdoing simply because they are cops, but, by the same token, the unique aspects of their job warrant some consideration, which rarely apply to the "average citizen".

Cool

My feelings and thoughts with "AMH" as well. Sounds like a rookie LEO!

I've carried for over 31 years and the first city I started carrying in, all those years ago, was Seattle! Never had a problem with the PDs, never had it seen or taken away from me.

Sounds like a bad day. Wonder what the other 4 LEOs were thinking!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Absolutely right this guy signed on and gets a pay check to uphold the law and the Constitution. If he has puddin in his drawers and the sight of a gun makes him wet his panties maybe he should get another job. He is very lucky he did not get himself dead. We have kids in a hostile country who every day come in contact with people they know would happily kill them who have full automatic weapons and those kids do not over react the way this guy did.

What would the probable cause be? The legal possession of a car Legally driving the car? Possession of a valid driver license registration and insurance? The legal concealed weapons permits? Or would you be talking about the legal possession of a firearm, properly and legally carried? Just curious what you think the probable cause was to search our car. What crime did they have reason to believe had occurred? If any crime at all was committed he is the perp.
    I thought we already hashed this out earlier in the thread. I am starting to think you are just wanting to stir it up a bit. I dont know how else to explain it. I've over simplified it for the members here. We have gone through this step by step, I dont see the point in starting from square one again. I think my signature line applies here too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This one Has run its course and just going it Circles .. So say Good Night to it

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links