Why Criminals Are Still Getting Guns

This is a discussion on Why Criminals Are Still Getting Guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This article was taken from today's Parade Magazine, the supplement that most of us get in our Sunday newspapers. Not hard to figure out which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1943 - 2009

This article was taken from today's Parade Magazine, the supplement that most of us get in our Sunday newspapers.

Not hard to figure out which side of the fence they sit on, is it?

Even though crime is on the decline across the U.S., gun violence is actually on the rise. How do guns continue to end up in the hands of criminals? A small group of sellers is responsible: 57% of the guns used in crimes come from 1% of all dealers. Too often, they fail to run background checks or sell large numbers of weapons to traffickers who then resell them on the street. Due to weak laws and lack of enforcement, it can take an average of 11 years for authorities to order one shop to quit selling firearms. From 2003 to 2005, law-enforcement agencies reportedly traced an astonishing 1,424 guns used in crimes back to Trader Sports of California. The store had been investigated since the 1970s, but only last year was it forced to leave the firearms business. Progress is occurring, however. Under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the City of New York has sued 27 dealers in five states for engaging in illegal sales; so far, 14 of them have settled and agreed to stricter monitoring of gun sales and to tough penalties.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Crime statistic

http://www.parade.com/articles/editi...ligence_Report

I thought this was an interesting statistic.

Unsubstantiated statistics too...

While it may be true that OF the number of legal guns (the subset of criminal used guns that were not stolen) they come from just a few places, I think they certainly move one statistic and merge it into another one there. And I don't know of any Bloomberg lawsuit that has resulted in anything at all. In fact its gotten him into more trouble than them since he sent his own people to make straw purchases. Which is not the same as someone not running a NICS check. Also, who are these brokers you cans sell to without record? Seems to me a sloppy stringing of assumptions to unrelated statistics tied together with some mighty far fetched assumptions.

VIP Member

......because they are criminals
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post

Bingo!

- England
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

TADA!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't care how hard it gets to legally buy a gun, illegal guns will always find their way into the hands of criminals. One needs look no further than GB, Australia, or any other of the "socially enlightened" countries that no longer trust their own citizens with firearms. It sure didn't stop the BG's from getting them.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Why? They have more sources beyond the corner store. The reality is that the corner store and a hundred like it could shut down tomorrow, but the flow would still be there.

While it may well be true that one or more of these "linked" gun stores has owners or staff that are complicit, to say they're all contributing as a matter of course is like saying the local police are funding murderers and robbers merely because crime is high.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ok, now I'm really confused. Why would it take 11 years to shut down a gun shop selling illegally, but it only seems to take about 11 minutes for BATF to slam the doors of a shop with very minor paperwork errors???
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Ok, now I'm really confused. Why would it take 11 years to shut down a gun shop selling illegally, but it only seems to take about 11 minutes for BATF to slam the doors of a shop with very minor paperwork errors???

Indeed...an interesting point.

Why don't they just make it illegal for criminals to have guns? What's so hard about that?

They shouldn't be allowed to commit crimes either. Just make a law for crime to be illegal. Geez, people.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    From my years of experience most of the guns retrieved after being used in a crime were found to have been stolen. When I say most, the figure was 60 some percent. That figure probably doesn't hold true for all locations but I'll bet it isn't far off.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious1 View Post
    Why don't they just make it illegal for criminals to have guns? What's so hard about that?

They shouldn't be allowed to commit crimes either. Just make a law for crime to be illegal. Geez, people.
    HEY, I think that might work...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    From my years of experience most of the guns retrieved after being used in a crime were found to have been stolen. When I say most, the figure was 60 some percent. That figure probably doesn't hold true for all locations but I'll bet it isn't far off.
    Most anti-gunners realize how criminals get their guns. Thats why there is a need to disarm the honest folks first. After all thats where the guns are coming from.
    Once the honest citizens are disarmed there will be fewer guns for the bad guys to steal. They tell me that its not an overnight fix but it is an effective form of control.

Michael

Hell. Gimme a little block of wood, a knife to carve a barrel-channel into it, an appropriate-diameter steel pipe, a rubber band, and a nail, and presto, i have a single-shot ready-made "zip gun" for a cost of a few dollars.

We're one of the most industrialized, machine-tool-equipped nations in the world, with a plethora of blueprints, engineering schematics and patent-office drawings widely available in the public domain.

If they banned-outlawed-confiscated and eradicated every firearm in the nation, the clandestine shops would spring up like weeds and we'de be right back where we started in relatively short order.

What criminals want, the criminals get - be it heroin, covaine, pirated copyrighted music or guns. Face the facts, and keep the lawful citizenry armed well enough to keep the criminal predators sufficiently at bay. period. End of story. Or, otherwise, "end of us" as a free, civilized nation.
    "He who allows another to take his life, who hath no authority for that purpose, when it might be preserved by defense, is guilty of Self-Murder, for God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his Life, and Mother Nature teaches every creature to defend itself".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links