Congressman Ron Paul on the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on Congressman Ron Paul on the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Presidential Candidate and Congressman Ron Paul's stance on the Second Amendment: Originally Posted by Ron Paul Dear Gun Owner, I hope, like me, you're a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congressman Ron Paul on the Second Amendment

Presidential Candidate and Congressman Ron Paul's stance on the Second Amendment:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Dear Gun Owner,

I hope, like me, you're a strong supporter of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

My name is Ron Paul, and I'm the only pro-gun, pro-Constitution candidate running for the Republican nomination for president of the United States.

The fact is, I believe those of us who support gun rights and the Constitution need to take a stand NOW, before it's too late.

You see, if you listen to many politicians in Washington, the gun control crowd, and their mouthpieces in the "mainstream" media, you'd think the reason for our crime problem is a lack of tough (and un-Constitutional) gun-control legislation.

That, my friend, is NONSENSE.

It's a lie propagated by high-and-mighty politicians who think their job is to look out for "our own good" and who think all the problems of the world would be solved if they just exerted a little more control over our lives.

Their answer?

Force law-abiding American citizens who want to protect themselves through more bureaucratic rigmarole and throw up more "gun free zone" signs.

The result?

CRIMINALS ignore those signs and "regulations" and innocent people -- who are rendered helpless by obeying the law -- pay the price!

I can tell you from my years in Washington that some politicians just can't get it through their heads that you can't create a safe society by disarming the good guys.

If you want a president who will stand up for the United States Constitution, and who will LEAD the fight to restore our Second Amendment rights, then I hope to earn your support.

Many "Republican" opponents and I don't see eye-to-eye on this important Constitutional issue. In fact, some of my opponents' views are more in line with Teddy Kennedy than with our Founding Fathers!

Well, like you, I genuinely treasure our beautiful republic, and I've always had a desire to serve our country.

In the mid-1970s, I decided to "throw my hat in the ring" and run for Congress, because -- quite frankly -- I was disgusted with the disdain politicians from both parties had for our Constitution.

I'm sure you know just as well as I do that it's the Constitution that protects our God-given liberties as Americans. The truth is, those politicians who seem so eager to take a match and burn this treasured document are a grave danger to us all.

As you may have heard, I'm now serving my 10th term as United States congressman from the 14th district of Texas. That experience has taught me many things, but above all, just how valuable and important our freedoms are. I want my children and grandchildren to have even more liberty than I've been blessed with.

But the fact is, if you and I have learned anything from past presidential administrations, and the current liberal Congress, it's that our freedoms are constantly under attack. And unfortunately, we've also learned we can't trust every politician in Washington, D.C. with an "R" next to his or her name to do the right thing.

That's why when any politician goes on attack against our Second Amendment rights, you can be sure that I will boldly stand against them.

As a United States Congressman, I have:

- Led the fight to restore the Second Amendment rights to all Americans, without infringement, that have been stripped away;
    - Introduced legislation to repeal the so-called "Gun Free Zone" victim disarmament law of 1990;
    - Introduced legislation to repeal the 1993 National "Instant Background Check" gun registration bill;
    - Authored legislation to stop taxpayer funds from going to the anti-gun United Nations;
    - Opposed all gun control schemes that would register ALL private sales and mandate government "Lock-up Your Safety" devices;
    - Introduced legislation to protect American citizens' freedom to carry in our national parks.
    - Publicly Opposed legislation just this year that would allow government-appointed psychiatrists to ban U.S. veterans experiencing even mild forms of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from EVER owning a gun.

If nominated to represent the Republican Party in 2008, you can bet I'll continue to be 100% pro-gun and 100% pro-freedom -- unlike some of my opponents whose messages "get tailored" to fit the views of the crowd they're talking to.

But more than that, I will be a leader for our Constitutional rights -- all of them -- especially your gun rights.

That's why I am running for the Republican nomination for president of the United States.

The fact is, I've never thought that standing up for the Constitution was anything to be ashamed of, but too many of our politicians nowadays care more about their hair than what is right.

Gun control is NOT the answer to our crime problem -- and not one of our Constitutional rights is up for "debate."

Every new restriction creates more bureaucracy that will spend more of our tax dollars and force police to waste time on paperwork instead of patrolling the streets.

Whether you own a gun for personal protection or if you don't own a gun and just believe in the U.S. Constitution -- I hope to earn your support.

With your support, I pledge to continue fighting for our Second Amendment freedoms.

Yours truly,

Dr. Ron Paul
    Republican for President
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A recent YouTube interview with Congressman Paul regarding the Second Amendment:

http://www.youtube.com/v/xdxTg9x3Mbg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a United States Congressman, Dr. Paul has:

- Led the fight to restore the Second Amendment Rights of all Americans, without infringement
    - Introduced legislation to repeal the so-called "Gun Free Zone" victim disarmament law of 1990
    - Introduced legislation to repeal the 1993 National "Instant Background Check" Gun Owner Registration Bill
    - Authored legislation to stop taxpayer funds from going to the anti-gun United Nations
    - Opposed all gun control schemes that would register private sales and mandate government Lock-Up Your Gun Safety Devices
    - Opposed H.R. 2640 that would allow government-appointed psychiatrists to ban U.S. veterans experiencing even mild forms of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from ever owning a gun

If elected president, Dr. Paul will:

- Press Congress and the Supreme Court to preserve American citizen's Second Amendment rights
    - Introduced legislation to repeal the so-called "Gun Free Zone" victim disarmament law of 1990
    - Veto any piece of legislation abridging our Constitutional Right to bear arms
    - Stop your tax dollars from going to fund anti-gun United Nations activities
    - Veto any legislation mandating trigger locks to prevent you from maintaining a firearm for home and self-defense
    - Veto any legislation banning semi-automatic firearms

Ron Paul's Current Second Amendment Legislation in Congress:

H.R. 1096: This bill would (1) repeal the Brady law and Instant check Gun Owner registration system; (2) repeal federal provisions discriminating against firearms which the government determines to have no "sporting purpose," and (3) repeal the requirement that trigger locks be purchased by anyone purchasing a handgun from a dealer.

H.R. 1897: This bill would prohibit any federal regulation banning the possession or carrying of a firearm based in whole or in part on the fact that the possession or carrying occurs within a national park.

Ron Paul's Congressional Writings on the Second Amendment[/size] (if you want to know how a real patriot Congressman feels about the 2A, read this stuff!):

Gun Control? Disarm The Bureaucrats!
    Snipers, Terror, and Gun Control
    Restoring the Second Amendment
    Assault Weapons and Assaults on the Constitution
    The DC Gun Ban
    Security and Liberty (re: Virginia Tech)

The Other So-Called "Top Tier" Candidates' Records on the Second Amendment:

Giuliani:

- Supported the Clinton semi-automatic gun ban
    - Pushed a proposal to require trigger locks on all firearms

McCain:

- Supported federal restrictions on gun shows
    - Promoted legislation that would force all gunowners to keep their guns locked up in their own homes

Romney:

- Supported the five-day waiting period
    - Continues to support a Clinton-style semi-automatic gun ban

Thompson:

- Voted for S. 735 which increased funding to the ATF, approved un-Constitutional wire tappings, extended the statute of limitations on NFA violations, Federalized several state gun crimes, suspended Habeas Corpus in several gun crimes, and allows the government to use secret evidence against people in gun cases
    - Voted for the Lautenberg Domestic Confiscation Gun Ban which retroactively bans those who commit certain minor misdemeanor offenses from owning firearms, and can be applied without a trial by jury
    - Voted for the Young Adult Gun Ban, which punishes parents who allow their kids to even touch a so-called semi-automatic "assault weapon."
    - Voted for McCain's Incumbent Protection Bill which would restrict the ability of people to discuss the voting record and actions of incumbent candidates prior to an election, such as informing the public of a candidate's anti-gun record.

In this undated photo, Rudy Guiliani stands with Chuck Schumer and Handgun Control. No doubt telling a different story than the one he told at a recent NRA convention. Like all the other candidates, including Fred Thomson, Guiliani is distancing himself from his past anti-gun record. Rudy supported the Clinton semi auto ban and endorsed a plan to require all gun owners to be licensed. Rudy joined an effort to sue gun dealers. Recently he has made the claim that 9-11 changed his mind about gun control and he now supports Americans’ rights. Rudy was a major supporter of the current New York Mayor who has had agents make purchases of guns in other states in an effort to shut down gun stores outside of New York.

Dr. Ron Paul is 100% pro-Constitution. He is, therefore, 100% supportive of our constitutionally-protected, inborn right to self defense. Just a note worth mentioning for fellow gun-owners.

-B

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    We all know Ron likes the second amendment. We all know Rudy doesn't.

I like the letter... that's about all I can say.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

It's not exactly new news to anyone, but it is meant to show folks who don't know about him yet that there is still a candidate who respects your Constitutionally-protected rights. Given the nature of the material and the letter, I thought it fit this forum topic fairly well.

-B

I guess that officially removes BAC from the undecided category huh?
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Ron paul 2008!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Great letter. It's exactly what he's been saying about the 2A, since before I was born, while in a political position.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    I guess that officially removes BAC from the undecided category huh?

-B

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If he wasn't intent on cutting and running in the face of radical Islam, he would be a lot more palatable to the Republican party. In this day and time foreign policy can not be limited to our shores and the threat of Islamic Terrorists has to be confronted. Eight years of Clinton ignoring it did our country no good.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    If he wasn't intent on cutting and running in the face of radical Islam, he would be a lot more palatable to the Republican party. In this day and time foreign policy can not be limited to our shores and the threat of Islamic Terrorists has to be confronted. Eight years of Clinton ignoring it did our country no good.
    That's my one and only gripe about Ron Paul's positions.

Even with that, though, I believe that IN THE LONG TERM, his stances are absolutely the best we have to choose from. Much of our troubles, or at least the EXCUSES for our troubles, came from precisely the sort of global intervention that the founding fathers warned against.

In the SHORT term, however, noninterventionism will not solve those problems.

I do not believe that Paul would be weak when it comes to terrorist attacks (or even planned terrorist attacks) against the United States. I do believe that he would go to the Congress and ask for a Declaration of War. He did that prior to our going into Iraq.

Paul is a libertarian, and the linchpin of the libertarian philosophy is what's known as either the Non Aggression Principle or the Zero Aggression Principle, which states that:

"No one has the right to INITIATE aggression against another, nor to advocate or delegate its INITIATION."

Note that this places no limits whatsoever on DEFENSE, or even RETALIATION.

Had Ron Paul been the President on 9/11/01, we might well have seen a mushroom cloud over the glowing crater that USED to be Kabul before the end of the month.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If I recall from an article here, the right to self-defense and bearing arms flows from comman law and not the 2nd amendment which insteads enshrines the existing right and protecting it, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    If I recall from an article here, the right to self-defense and bearing arms flows from comman law and not the 2nd amendment which insteads enshrines the existing right and protecting it, correct?
    The right to keep and bear arms, just like the right to life, liberty, lawfully gained property and the other rights to do what you damn please as long as you're not harming anyone else is a natural right. Whether or not it is a god-given right shall be a debate between agnostics and religious people. The Bill of Rights does not GIVE or GRANT that right, it simply RECOGNIZES IT. So why doesn't it recognize all rights, you ask? That's what the Ninth Amendment is for, otherwise the BoR would be the size of the Bible.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    The anti's can talk all they want about trying to 'interpret' the 2nd by suspending logic and general cognitive functions, or they can talk about repealing it, but it wouldn't change anything.

He responds well to this: if China were to invade and occupy us (perhaps to save us from our government?), would we not fight back? Pure conjecture, but you get the idea. Frankly, I'm tired of the enlisted I know not knowing why they're still overseas, but that's moving off-topic.

Regardless of how you feel about that issue, and yes the topic as stated does list non-Second Amendment related things, it's the Second Amendment parts I wanted to bring to light. If one constitutional policy is keeping you from voting for someone who has proven himself to protect ALL of the Constitution (including the Second Amendment), I don't know what to tell you. I sure as heck don't trust any of the other politicians on either side with the power of the now-bloated executive branch, especially the ones itching to use that power to cripple our natural right to self defense.

What do your candidates think about the Second Amendment? Do their actions support their words?

-B

At the risk of wandering away from a 2A discussion, you do realize that he voted to go into Afghanistan right? Don't believe the hype and look at real records.

He is proven to be the most 2A friendly candidate in Congress in at least the last 25 years. The fact that the man implicitly trusts you to have arms should say something about him right there.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

He will be my choice in '08 whether he's the Republican candidate or I have to write him in.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    He will be my choice in '08 whether he's the Republican candidate or I have to write him in.
    Oh great, third party candidate. That's how we got stuck with 'slick willie'.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links