Defensive Carry banner

Poll: "Should a homeowner be arrested for shooting an intruder?"

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  digitalexplr 
#1 ·
So far.

Should a homeowner face charges for shooting an intruder?

Yes (4 Votes, 1%)
No (649 Votes, 89%)
Depends on the circumstances (77 Votes, 11%)

http://www.rep-am.com/

About 3/4 of the way down the page in the middle/right column

Go vote no.

#2 ·
"Arrested"? - chances are even in a good shoot an arrest will me made.

As to charges ........ all will depend on circumstances - hopefully not if a good shoot.

I read the yes/no aspect wrong initially - so in fact the results look promising, tho the question is rather broad and unqualified in some respects.

#3 · (Edited)
1% (4 votes) Yes arrested
89% (709 votes) No arrested
11% (85 votes) Depends

#4 ·
I read the question as I believe it was intended - "Is shooting an intruder in your home justified". Defining "intruder" as a forced-entry, yes, it is justified, so I answered "No" to the poll.

#6 ·
Should the homeowner be arrested?--NO!

Will the homeowner be arrested?--Most likely, he/she will be taken into custody until the investigation is completed and the DA has reviewed the evidence. It will be the DA that will determine if charges can/will be filed and if an offense has been committed.

#7 ·
Two words: CASTLE DOCTRINE

#11 ·
Poll: "Should a homeowner be arrested for shooting an intruder?"
Depends on the circumstances, of course. If someone captures a BG, forces him to lay face down, then kills him with a shot to the back, well then ... time to speak with an attorney. However, if defending against an oncoming intruder or if the BG refuses to immediately comply with one's commands to go limp and passive, to my way of thinking that's a much simpler problem.

#12 ·
I don't really agree that a homeowner should have to give commands to go limp and passive. I wouldn't give up that kind of tactical advantage if the guy doesn't know I'm there. If I catch an intruder in my house (intruder meaning someone illegally entering it w/o my permission), I'm shooting first and not worrying about asking questions later. That's my home and thankfully my state views it as my castle.

#14 ·
I recognize the Castle Doctrine.

Those who enter my home in the light (With good intentions, and my permission.) shall be treated respectfully as welcome guests. Those who enter my home in the dark (With bad intentions, and without my permission.) shall pay the ultimate price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.