Recieved a letter from Federal Senator

This is a discussion on Recieved a letter from Federal Senator within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't digitized this letter yet, but I wrote a Federal Sen from AR to ask about their CCW and 2nd Amendment views. They mentioned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recieved a letter from Federal Senator

Recieved a letter from Federal Senator

I haven't digitized this letter yet, but I wrote a Federal Sen from AR to ask about their CCW and 2nd Amendment views.
    They mentioned that the States Control CCW (duh), and that they were pro 2A.

The interesting part of the letter was this:
    From a letter received from Senator Mark Pryor..

Senator John Tune introduced S. 388 on January 25, 2007, to provide a national standard in accordance with which non-residents of State may carry concealed firearms in the State. After introduction, S. 388 was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
    What does everyone/anyone think of this?
    Last edited by *SA-XD4ME*; November 9th, 2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    "Senator John Tune introduced S. 388 on January 25, 2007, to provide a national standard in accordance with which non-residents of State may carry concealed firearms in the State. After introduction, S. 388 was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary."

...If this means what I think it means, and "State" isn't referring to specifically Arkansas, that sounds like the beginnings of a way for all CCW to recognized by other states. Oh California is going to fume over this.

-B

Part of my day job is to track federal legislation and while I haven't looked at this bill, I can tell you that every bill gets referred to a committee, (just about anyway) and most of the bills stay in committee, never seeing the light of day, so don't expect much to come from this.

Sorry, wish I could say something uplifting but just being realistic here.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Part of my day job is to track federal legislation and while I haven't looked at this bill, I can tell you that every bill gets referred to a committee, (just about anyway) and most of the bills stay in committee, never seeing the light of day, so don't expect much to come from this.

Sorry, wish I could say something uplifting but just being realistic here.
    I totally agree. I even have a hint of a bad feeling about this bill. I think that if CCW goes Federal, it might be a 1st step in some serious gun control. If not the beginning of guns being taken away. Per Cali, and other 2A hater States.

I have always wondered why a persons license to operate a motor vehicle from one state is always honored by other states but carry licenses aren't. I know some could argue that motor vehicles are involved in interstate commerce and carrying a handgun isn't, but if that is the case why am I still married to my wife here in Texas when we got married in Maryland?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I have always wondered why a persons license to operate a motor vehicle from one state is always honored by other states but carry licenses aren't. I know some could argue that motor vehicles are involved in interstate commerce and carrying a handgun isn't, but if that is the case why am I still married to my wife here in Texas when we got married in Maryland?

I find it hillarious that you say that, since some of the greatest losses the 2nd ammendment has seen have been upheld as constitutional BECAUSE they were cited as effecting interstate commerce. Kinda ironic, isn't it?

It would be nice; but, I'm glad the states control CCW issue.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I totally agree. I even have a hint of a bad feeling about this bill. I think that if CCW goes Federal, it might be a 1st step in some serious gun control. If not the beginning of guns being taken away. Per Cali, and other 2A hater States.

+1 The feds although probably the only resort for states like California will only screw CCW up for all. It's hard to think of another place where you could find a more consistent group on nincompoops.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

on this date sen kay baily hutchison R tex. and sen jon tester D mont. have taken up our side on the 2Nd see MyHeritage.org for details.

VIP Member

Link to S388 on Thomas

THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Go to "Search Bill Text," type in S388, select "Bill Number," and hit "Search."

"To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State. (Introduced in Senate)"

From the major actions summary, it looks like it has been pigeonholed in the committee (AKA "dead duck").

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    on this date sen kay baily hutchison R tex. and sen jon tester D mont. have taken up our side on the 2Nd see MyHeritage.org for details.
    The constitution secures an individuals right to bear arms. They urged the Supreme court to keep this in mind as they consider an important 2ND Amendment case.

Well theres always chicago and mayor daily
    Jack dog

Unfortunately !

What we DON'T need is a national CCW registry!! All that information is tied to our drivers licenses and all the police agencies are all hooked together by the NCIC, so any more would be invasive of our liberties and privacy, redundant, cost prohibitive and unnecessary. It would create a lot of jobs but would also make our information a lot more available to a lot more people unnecessarily!!!
    Any cop in the U.S. can run your DL and see that you have a CCL, so nothing else is needed.
    Just create an agreement between all states and a standard for education, just as hunter safety is done nationwide, and it is a done deal.
    I applaud this effort but we don't need any more government intervention!!!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    What we DON'T need is a national CCW registry!! All that information is tied to our drivers licenses and all the police agencies are all hooked together by the NCIC, so any more would be invasive of our liberties and privacy, redundant, cost prohibitive and unnecessary. It would create a lot of jobs but would also make our information a lot more available to a lot more people unnecessarily!!!
    Any cop in the U.S. can run your DL and see that you have a CCL, so nothing else is needed.
    Just create an agreement between all states and a standard for education, just as hunter safety is done nationwide, and it is a done deal.
    I applaud this effort but we don't need any more government intervention!!!!
    I totally agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links