SCOTUS Declines DC Case

This is a discussion on SCOTUS Declines DC Case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the end i don't think they'll take, to much heat on that potato....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCOTUS Declines DC Case

In the end i don't think they'll take, to much heat on that potato.

2. Remove Ads

Am I the only one thats worried about a possible ruling? I have read what the founding fathers said about the right to keep arms. The Federalist Papers make it pretty clear. So do many of the notes and letters from back then.
    All that aside. It alarms me that in recent years many judges disreguard the "intent" of the constitution. They create rights that were never mentioned. They ignore the 10th amendment all the time.
    I am very worried about what could possibly happen. I do hope I am wrong. Remember. The 2nd amendment was put in place to be a final check on the government. Why would ANY government want its citizens to have that?
    Michael

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Am I the only one thats worried about a possible ruling? I have read what the founding fathers said about the right to keep arms. The Federalist Papers make it pretty clear. So do many of the notes and letters from back then.
    All that aside. It alarms me that in recent years many judges disreguard the "intent" of the constitution. They create rights that were never mentioned. They ignore the 10th amendment all the time.
    I am very worried about what could possibly happen. I do hope I am wrong. Remember. The 2nd amendment was put in place to be a final check on the government. Why would ANY government want its citizens to have that?
    Michael
    I think this court is more aligned with the concept that guns are an individual right vs. a collective right.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I think this court is more aligned with the concept that guns are an individual right vs. a collective right.
    If the case is heard the decision will undoubtly be 5-4 either way, with Kennedy being the swing vote. However, he will usually side with the conservatives.

The waiting....it's driving me crazy
    I hope you can contain yourself if the case is taken. Arguments and a ruling won't be until Feb/March timeframe.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If they don't hear it,that means the lower court's ruling (that DC's law is unconstitutional) will be upheld. I'm not an attorney, but I'm assuming DC will have to re-write its laws? Look for them to try for MD or NJ type laws-registration,handguns at home only,probably no CC provision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links