Racist Roots of Georgia Gun Control Laws

This is a discussion on Racist Roots of Georgia Gun Control Laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Georgia Carry.org has an interesting article about the genesis of Georgia's gun control laws. http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-c...a-gun-laws.pdf...

Thread: Racist Roots of Georgia Gun Control Laws

Racist Roots of Georgia Gun Control Laws

Georgia Carry.org has an interesting article about the genesis of Georgia's gun control laws.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-c...a-gun-laws.pdf

2. Remove Ads

Interesting how Blacks and Republicans are lumped together. Many people don't know that Republicans were the champions of Civil Rights long before the Democrats.

Assistant Administrator
    Any comments forthcoming - lets be sure to not delve into the race angle to excess, thanks. Not here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris - Thanks for your comment. I think the point of the story - and the reason I posted it - is the historical example of the politicians in charge squelching opposition by denying their constitutional right to self defense.

This is an historically classic means of retaining power and our Founders new it and acted to balance our governmental structure (Executive, legislative and judicial) with extra-governmental balances such as free speech, free press and the right to bear arms.

Though this story reflects a period of more than 150 years ago the same forces exist today to limit law-abiding US Citizens from exercising their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

I heard on one of the news channels last night that the ACLU would fight any effort to require finger printing drivers license applicants, yet I (and all others) have to be finger printed and background checked in order to legally posess a firearm and the ACLU doesn't blink an eye.

The history cited in the article is an extreme example and some might say those conditions don't exist today. My point is those very same conditions exist today. There is a ruling class and they instincively fear an informed opposition that they cannot physically dominiate.

We should stay informed, alert and supportive of all local and national efforts to defend the rights of the individual especially when it comes to the right of personal self defense.

There is a price for failing to learn from history.

Amazing, it's not a right but a privilege to drive and the ACLU would fight any effort to require finger printing drivers license applicants. However, it's a Constitutional Right to have a firearm and we have to all go through background checks, fingerprints, beg, plead and pray to own and carry a weapon. It's getting to the point where we need to take this country back from the "left" and the far "Right". I have had it with both sides. Throw Bush out, stop the Democrats. Watch when they shake your hand, keep you other hand on your wallet. Maybe it is time for a major upheaval in this country.
    Again, IMHO

Yes, Republicans were predominantly freedom across the board which is why the Southern States after the Civil War became the "Solid South" in that they were solidly Democrat. My how the times, issues, people and politics have changed!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

BAC
    It was interesting to hear a comedian say on during a stand-up routine about the number of African Americans in Congress that the last time so many of Republicans and them shared the floor, they were selling them. The first thing that came to mind is, "Is that what we're being taught in schools? Incorrect history? Are people that detached from the truth?"

In a sociology course I'm taking, we just finished watching/discussing videos about the KKK, and it was... educational, to say the least. But the politics they were involved with, especially their endorsements for gun control of blacks, was very interesting to note, and strictly supports K4Kimber's first statement.

Worthwhile history to know. If more people did, more people would understand why gun owners and civil rights activists fight so damn hard to retain/reclaim those rights.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by TC_FLA View Post
    Amazing, it's not a right but a privilege to drive and the ACLU would fight any effort to require finger printing drivers license applicants. However, it's a Constitutional Right to have a firearm and we have to all go through background checks, fingerprints, beg, plead and pray to own and carry a weapon. It's getting to the point where we need to take this country back from the "left" and the far "Right". I have had it with both sides. Throw Bush out, stop the Democrats. Watch when they shake your hand, keep you other hand on your wallet. Maybe it is time for a major upheaval in this country.
    Again, IMHO
    I concur... And I think that "major upheaval" is indeed going to transpire in the not-too-distant future. To some, this chaotic event will be a great adventure to participate in. To others, it will be a living nightmare to endure. But the results should prove interesting - to say the least - for those who survive this cataclysm.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member
    Learning and knowing the history of our country is very important to everyone who calls this home...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated .

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent. Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent!)

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months,since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history

With guns, we are citizens. Without them, we are subjects.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Links