Letter to the Editor Refuting Gun-Control Idiocy

This is a discussion on Letter to the Editor Refuting Gun-Control Idiocy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been away from home for the past week and a half due to Thanksgiving and preparations for a funeral, so today I got home ...

Thread: Letter to the Editor Refuting Gun-Control Idiocy

Letter to the Editor Refuting Gun-Control Idiocy

I've been away from home for the past week and a half due to Thanksgiving and preparations for a funeral, so today I got home and scanned through the newspapers that were delivered while I was gone. One article caught my eye; Read here. I was severely ticked to see my local newspaper supporting that arrogant moron we have for a governor, so I fired off a letter to the editor explaining why they and he are so completely off base.

Dear Times News,

I'm writing in response to your editorial about Ed Rendell's recent testimony before the state House Judiciary Committee in support of four gun-control measures. In this article you wrote that "These measures make sense ", yet you provide no evidence to support this position. The sad state of affairs in Washington D.C., New York City, and other cities which severely restrict firearms ownership provide strong evidence of the failure of gun control in this country. It is illegal to even possess a handgun in Washington D.C., yet the city's murder rate is one of the nation's highest. Perhaps this is because criminals, by definition, don't obey laws, and so laws that restrict firearms ownership deter them no more than laws against murder do. The bills that Rendell spoke in support of, with the exception of House Bill 2060, do NOT target criminal use of firearms but instead target those gun owners who already obey the law. If Governor Rendell were serious about preventing crime in our state, he would support more funding for law enforcement and the long-term incarceration of violent repeat offenders rather than shamelessly using the deaths of Philadelphia’s finest to promote his ineffective agenda. This simply proves once again that gun control isn’t about crime and it isn’t about guns; it’s about control. The Legislature was correct in their decision to ignore Rendell’s ignorant testimony and refuse to support these misguided bills.
    This is my first letter to the editor, it's something I've wanted to do for a while just to do my part to possibly help a few literate fence-sitters to see the light. I'd appreciate any critiques, positive or negative, so I can do better next time. Thanks in advance.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

Well done 'grasshopper'...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post

This is my first letter to the editor, it's something I've wanted to do for a while just to do my part to possibly help a few literate fence-sitters to see the light. I'd appreciate any critiques, positive or negative, so I can do better next time. Thanks in advance.
    Thank you.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

amen!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I know its a foot in the door and the proverbial chocolate sauce on a turd, but 29 and 2060 sound pretty good. Is there a downfall to 29 that I'm not seeing? Know they gotta be up to something.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

1- i am not a felon
    2- i have passed extensive background checks by the sheriffs department and the FBI.
    3- i have been fingerprinted, trained, and tested.
    4- i have demonstrated good character.
    5- i obey the law.

Well written letter, Kurt! Short, succinct, and with a lot of impact!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Assistant Administrator
    I'd be interested to know if it gets a response ... makes all the points we so well know and try to tell folks.

(BTW - a split into two or three para's would help a bit too).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ron
    Well done, Kurt. I believe that it is important to challenge, with a well written letter, such as Kurt's, every gun control article, letter to the editor, and attempt at gun control legislation. Our silence in the face of such assaults on our right to own and carry, can be construed as an implied acquiescence by gun control advocates. It may not have an impact on the "Brady" type people, but can influence the general population, who we need as allies.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good letter. Every single comment left on that article mirrored your sentiments.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Links