Open Carry Petition in Texas

This is a discussion on Open Carry Petition in Texas within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; don't know if this already on here. I searched and could not find it. So, here is the link. http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...i?texasoc&1451...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Petition in Texas

Open Carry Petition in Texas

don't know if this already on here. I searched and could not find it. So, here is the link.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...i?texasoc&1451
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Open carry in VA is the only way you CAN carry in an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages for on premise consumption. So when the wife and I go out to eat, I tuck in the shirt and allow the butt to be seen. Of course I do keep a low profile with it, it someone happens to notice it I'm leagel, if they don't notice it, then they don't care.

I've already signed it even though petitions don't matter a whole lot in Texas.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Is this posted on the Texas State Rifle Association web page ? if not should be and passed around to as many as possible in Texas.

Years and years ago, when I was in Texas Open Carry was allowed.

I do not know when or why the law changed. Did it change when Texas started their CHL ?

Texas should also allow, CHL training to be accomplished by completion of the NRA's Basic Pistol or PPOTH, to increase the number of instructors available to the Citizens. Just using State of Texas certified instructors for CHL is very limiting on the availability of training.

I hope Texas gets Open Carry like many other States.

2A - does not say anything about open or concealed carry.

First off, let me be clear that I think it is silly for a state to prohibit open carry. It is our right as citizens to "bear arms", and if it freaks some unenlightened people out, well they need to go back and retake some of their US History & Civics classes from high school.

Having said that, and looking at it from a different point of view, I don't think that a requirement that a weapon that, let's face it, will upset a great many people if it is seen, be kept concealed is unreasonable. If by carrying concealed we can keep a bunch of people from getting their undies in a bundle over seeing what they (incorrectly) perceive to be a bunch of gun-totin' weirdos (i.e. US!), and thereby preventing them from lobbying to have the carrying of guns greatly restricted or eliminated altogether, isn't that a fair deal to make? And no matter what, having our legally carried guns concealed makes us safer, knowing that the BGs can't ID us ahead of time & remove us as potential threats first.

Maybe there can be a compromise that localities can set their own rules on open carry (to accommodate the more rural &/or enlightened areas), without being able to interfere with any qualifying citizen (i.e. non-felon) to carry concealed anywhere. Is that not acceptable for some reason?

And just to be sure I'm clear, I refer you back to my 1st paragraph above for how I really feel. I'm just sayin...

One last thing - willie, you have by far the best avatar I've seen on this site. Maybe the best I've seen on any site! + 1,000,000 for your avatar!!!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

thought someone might like that.........
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

VIP Member
    Maybe there can be a compromise that localities can set their own rules on open carry (to accommodate the more rural &/or enlightened areas), without being able to interfere with any qualifying citizen (i.e. non-felon) to carry concealed anywhere. Is that not acceptable for some reason?
    Not sure how TX law is written, but in VA and in OK when conceal carry was passed, they also wrote the law so it preempted all local laws. By doing this it does not allow citys to write stricter gun laws than what the state has.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure how TX law is written, but in VA and in OK when conceal carry was passed, they also wrote the law so it preempted all local laws. By doing this it does not allow citys to write stricter gun laws than what the state has.
    Just in case I wasn't clear - what I meant was that local areas could allow or disallow open carry, but would not have any input at all on concealed carry. This way every qualifying Texan could carry concealed anywhere in the state, thereby protecting his right to bear arms, while local officials could judge the mood of their citizens as to whether or not open carry might also be allowed.

The more I think about it, the more I like that idea. Anyone can carry concealed, while some can also carry open. Seems like a solid idea. Or maybe I've been staring at the computer screen too long today and I've finally lost it. I'm sure I'll be told one way or the other...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I signed it... good luck.

I don't like the wording in part of the petition. There is wording in numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 that is questionable.

The idea of it as far as open carry is fine by me, but to try to pursuade the legislature with some questionable wording doesn't do the cause any good.

If it were to pass, I probably would not open carry anyway. The only difference is like this evening when I got home I switched from IWB to OWB and put a jacket on to go out to eat. I probably would have taken my jacket off once I got to the table at the restaurant instead of sitting and eating with my jacket on.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Not sure when you were here partner, but I've been here quite a spell.. and I don't recall Texas being Open Carry since... well... the old west.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I might be a wierd one, but I'm not a fan of open carry, cept when working on your own property. I'm just one of those that has carried a weapon concealed for over twenty years and feel that if bad guys know whos packing they know what/who to choose as victims. Oh well I'm sure I'm the lone one on this but I wont vote for it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Is this posted on the Texas State Rifle Association web page ? if not should be and passed around to as many as possible in Texas.

I do not know when or why the law changed. Did it change when Texas started their CHL ?
    I have lived in Texas for 66 years, practicing law for 38 years. Texas adopted its concealed carry law somewhere around 1994. Before that hand guns could be carried in a vehicle only while travelling (generally interpreted from county to county). From all of that I can determine, until Texas adopted the CHL law, open carry for hand guns has not been permitted for about 100 years. However, you may be a lot older than I am, and I could be wrong by a decade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by nuparadigm View Post
    I've already signed it even though petitions don't matter a whole lot in Texas.
    I will have to think about this for awhile. LEO's are more at risk because of their identification and openly being armed. On the other hand, a bad guy who is about to mug you or spring the trap on you is not likely to telegraph in advance that he is armed, or stated otherwise, does not want to make himself the target in advance of his bad deeds.

I have not decided whether I want to be the target. Nah! I think I prefer to carry my piece concealed.

i signed # 1500 but i will probably always conceal,just my way.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links