It used to be ILLEGAL to be UN-ARMED in public & in church....

This is a discussion on It used to be ILLEGAL to be UN-ARMED in public & in church.... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ahh...for the good ol' days............ In South Carolina , it was against the law to go out of doors without a weapon as stated in, ...

Thread: It used to be ILLEGAL to be UN-ARMED in public & in church....

VIP Member

It used to be ILLEGAL to be UN-ARMED in public & in church....

Ahh...for the good ol' days............

In South Carolina, it was against the law to go out of doors without a weapon as stated in, "The Statutes at Large of South Carolina: Edited Under Authority of the Legislature," on page 418:

"who shall be at any such Church, or any other places of public worship, as aforesaid, shall come and resort without his gun or a pair of horse pistols, and ammunition, as aforesaid..." (it goes on to state that the Church-Wardens will inform said parties that they are in violation of the law and that they shall be fined.)

The fine was twenty shillings for each act of coming outside without a weapon...

...Virginia, from the First Session of the Legislature, in the Year 1619," states on page 127
    24. "That no man go or send abroad without a sufficient partie will be armed."
    25. "That men not go to worke in the ground without their arms and a (centinell upon them.)"

The U.S. Militia Act of 1792, Chapter XXXIII, Section 1," which states:
    "That every citizen so enrolled and notified, shall within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet, and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch with a box therein to contain not less than twenty-four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball."
    This is a good article: http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...and_the_i.html
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Got my vote to put it in text books for public schools...

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Got my vote to put it in text books for public schools...

That is a good article to read.

Most people who understand where the roots of the militia come from, understand that it is up to the individual to arm themselves. This was true in Europe even before the invention of firearms.

In this context, there is also a duty to be at the ready, under supervision, and training for the militia. To play devils advocate here, there is not the push from those that support the 2A to reinstate the duty of training, structure and ability for the localities to be able to call to arms those that are part of the militia.

How would that go over in today culture? When your local mayor or whomever was the officer of the local militia sent word for everyone to show up at the municiple building for a day of required training?

I personally would love to see whom would show up with what, and the reactions from some folks when some showed up with truckloads of guns and ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yeah, an armed society is a polite society, even on sacred ground.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Sounds like a winner to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links