Who is our best bet? (Political Question)

This is a discussion on Who is our best bet? (Political Question) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It appears to me that all of our major GOP reps have the intellectual ability to understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. The only ...

View Poll Results: As far as the 2nd Amendment, who is the best Presidential option of '08?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ron Paul

52 37.14%
  • Rudy Guliani

1 0.71%
  • Mike Huckabee

31 22.14%
  • Mitt Romney

4 2.86%
  • John McCain

0 0%
  • Fred Thompson

48 34.29%
  • Other (please state in post)

4 2.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It appears to me that all of our major GOP reps have the intellectual ability to understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. The only shady rep would have to be Romney.

Strictly speaking on Gun Control: Who is our best option in the 2008 Presidential Election?

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/gunowners/
    Ron Paul:
    You see, if you listen to many politicians in Washington, the gun control crowd, and their mouthpieces in the "mainstream" media, you'd think the reason for our crime problem is a lack of tough (and un-Constitutional) gun-control legislation.

That, my friend, is NONSENSE.

It's a lie propagated by high-and-mighty politicians who think their job is to look out for "our own good" and who think all the problems of the world would be solved if they just exerted a little more control over our lives.
    -------------------------------------------------------

http://www.joinrudy2008.com/issues/
    Rudy Giuliani is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. He understands that every law-abiding American has an individual right to keep and bear arms that is guaranteed by the Constitution.

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cf...on=Issues.Home
    Huckabee on Founding Fathers: They wanted us to be able to defend ourselves, and that's why they gave us the Second Amendment.

http://www.mittromney.com/
    Romney on NRA: "I think they're doing good things, and I believe in supporting the right to bear arms," Romney said

http://www.johnmccain.com/
    McCain on 2nd Amend: John McCain believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect.

http://www.fred08.com/Index.aspx
    Disarming law-abiding citizens does not prevent crime. The answer to violent crime is smart, effective, and aggressive law enforcement.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Ron Paul is the MAN!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I believe that a CHL holder such as Mike Huckabee would be my best choice.

Don't believe everything you read on the candidate's own web site. These clowns will say anything to get elected. Giuliani sued 26 gun manufacturers while mayor of NYC. He is also on record numerous times as saying how gun control helped NYC, how he used gun control to lower crime, etc.

Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing...

Giuliani, while seemingly likable to the masses, seems to be one of those who will say whatever to get votes. I don't believe for a minute that he'll be there for us gun rights. I like Thompson, but as the SNL skit displayed, he only seems to "kinda" want to be president. I don't think his half-hearted run will get him elected and I'd hate to waste my vote on someone not-commited.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Where I don't agree with Ron Paul on a few choice issues, I do think his stance on the 2A is far above the rest.

Imo, Ron Paul has the best 2A stance. Outside of what he's said, he's backed it up with 10 terms of voting and bills that he's submitted to Congress.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I'd go Huckabee, Thompson or Paul (on this issue only).

All presidential candidates move to the right when running. Then after they get in office go back to their old ways (one exception...Reagan).

Rudy scares the crap out of me for that very reason.

McCain I don't trust, he goes whichever way the wind is blowing that day.

Romney is a NE conservative & I fear, very like Rudy.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Paul is consistent, principled and has voted in the same way and propagated the same views ever since he got into politics 30 years ago. He is the only one I'd trust.

I understand the point of the thread, but any of them would be better than any of the likely Dem candidates, right?

Having said that, Ron Paul is definitely the man on this issue and most others. I think the likely candidate will be either Rudy or Romney, and while I wouldn't be surprised if either one of them signed some type of assault weapons type ban (blech!)(though nothing as bad as what any Dem would sign), I think they'd both appoint federal & Supreme Court judges similar to GWB's picks. This won't help us in the short term, but if they can shift the makeup of the courts in our favor for the next 20-30 years, then we could be sitting pretty for the long term.

Note - I am most emphatically NOT a Republican, but unlike the Democrats, I don't feel they are dangerous to (most) of our fundamental liberties - especially 2nd Amendment rights... For the foreseeable future, I'll be voting for whichever candidate can beat the Democrats, and that will most likely be a Republican.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I understand the point of the thread, but any of them would be better than any of the likely Dem candidates, right?

Having said that, Ron Paul is definitely the man on this issue and most others. I think the likely candidate will be either Rudy or Romney, and while I wouldn't be surprised if either one of them signed some type of assault weapons type ban (blech!)(though nothing as bad as what any Dem would sign), I think they'd both appoint federal & Supreme Court judges similar to GWB's picks. This won't help us in the short term, but if they can shift the makeup of the courts in our favor for the next 20-30 years, then we could be sitting pretty for the long term.

Note - I am most emphatically NOT a Republican, but unlike the Democrats, I don't feel they are dangerous to (most) of our fundamental liberties - especially 2nd Amendment rights... For the foreseeable future, I'll be voting for whichever candidate can beat the Democrats, and that will most likely be a Republican.
    Richardson (dem candidate) has a better 2A record than Romney or Ghouliani.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm just curious, but what makes Romney so "Shady"? Oh and I chose Ron Paul
    Last edited by S3ymour; November 30th, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Where I don't agree with Ron Paul on a few choice issues, I do think his stance on the 2A is far above the rest.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Richardson (dem candidate) has a better 2A record than Romney or Ghouliani.
    I agree completely, but the key phrase in my first sentence above was "likely candidate"... I'll be shocked & (pleasantly) surprised if Richardson gets the Dem nomination. I'd still vote for the Republican candidate for other reasons, but at least I wouldn't fear for my 2nd Amendment rights immediately.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I like Ron's way of thinking but he will never get Elected!.

I'm with FRED.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links