My question to Rudy G. and NYers

This is a discussion on My question to Rudy G. and NYers within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching the CNN/Youtube debate the other night, and I found it funny how Rudy once stated that he had 24 hour protection and ...

Thread: My question to Rudy G. and NYers

I was watching the CNN/Youtube debate the other night, and I found it funny how Rudy once stated that he had 24 hour protection and later on in the debate on an unrelated question he was bragging about how safe NYC was.

First, my question to NYers: is NYC really safe? I've never been there, and I would find it hard to believe that any big city was without it's fair share of violence. If there are danger zones, where are they?

I wonder if Rudy would be willing to dismiss his 24 hour security detail while living in one of the above-mentioned NYC neighborhoods with the same level of protection as the mere mortals living in his city -- zero concealed carry rights and only the NYPD.

Lets see how safe he feels his city is then.

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    First, my question to NYers: is NYC really safe? I've never been there, and I would find it hard to believe that any big city was without it's fair share of violence. If there are danger zones, where are they?
    No. NYC isn't super safe, just like any other big city.
    Some of the uglier areas would be (in no particular order) East New York (Brooklyn), Bedford Stuyvesant (Brooklyn), Harlem, Spanish Harlem, and most of the Bronx. I'm sure that there are other neighborhoods that should be included, but those are just a bunch that I have worked on an ambulance in and seen what it's like.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

It's also different when people would want to harm you specifically for political reasons not just random crime. IIRC he spoke about being threatened by the mafia when he was mayor.

It's safe compared to Detroit and Flint Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

nyc is not a safe place,,,i lived there in the bronx for 38 years,,finally moved out,,my co worker was recently assualted in her own home ,,,about 10-15 thugs burst into her home looking for her younger son who was not home,,they began punching and slashing my friend and her young daughter,,,this happened like 3 weeks ago,,shes still out of work ,,,nyc safe ? no,,,cant even have a weapon in the house too defend yourself because of the stupid anti gun laws ,,i live in PA but commute too work in nyc everyday,hate leaving my weapon behind in PA ,but i have no other choice ,,only the criminals have the weapons,,and they know it,,

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    It's safe compared to Detroit and Flint Michigan.
    yep

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    sorry for the late reply, just stumbled upon this thread:

so I live in NYC at the moment.

Yes, in general it is safe. It is actually one of the safest places i have lived. There have been huge advances in the last 20 years to make it that way. It has one of the lowest murder rates for a large city. Just remember all of Manhattan is full of multi million dollar apartments.

Some neighborhoods are extremely safe. There were no murders during 2007 in the area covered by my police precinct (upper west side). Go to wall street during are police with assault rifles everywhere protecting against terrorism. All large buildings have 24 hour security and some even have metal detectors. They won't let you in unless you have a reason to be there. All of the places where tourists frequent (time square, the village, 5th ave, Rockefeller) are extremely safe.

There are a few places that are less safe: The Bronx is probably the most dangerous borough. Your average NYC visitor has no reason to go there so don't worry. (There are nice places up there too, but I don't have first hand experience to be more detailed)

Stay out of the parks after dark. (central park, riverside, espicially morning side)

Brooklyn and queens are mostly quite safe, but with occasional violence and bad areas. See this NYPD interactive map to get an idea:

NYPD - Precinct Maps

The subway can be dangerous. I have personally seen 2 fist fights on the #1 train. A friend saw a high school gang stabbing during morning rush hour. One of the wost things about it is that you are essentially trapped with the people around you. It is generally 2-3 minutes between stops and there is nowhere to run.

My best advice for the subway is:

1. button your pockets and keep track of your ipod to stop pickpockets
    2. before you get in a subway car look around it and see if there are any seedy characters. They are easy to identify ... if you see one don't get on. Another train will arrive shortly.
    3. Know where you are going. Looking like a lost tourist makes you a target. Have a map and plan your route.
    4. carry OC spray. Firearms, defensive knives, and tasers are not allowed in NY
    5. don't give homeless and money

NYPD average response time for violent crime in progress is about 6 minutes.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or requests.

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Funny how Rudy takes all the credit for a save NYC. He and his administration did contribute, especially with some good policies for the NYPD....The overall crime drop was part of a huge shift in the evolution of NYC that has more to do with $ than anything else:

Between WWI and 1960 many bridges and road infrastructure projects were built and it opened up many of the NYC suburbs to a reasonable commute. Why live in a cramped apartment when you could drive 25 minutes through the then-new Lincoln tunnel and have a house in New Jersey?

the result was many wealth and middle class people left NYC. the ratio of people left shifted to more lower income. This resulted in high crime ares and tenement housing (like in West Side Story...)

Since 1960, there has been little transportation improvement, but a HUGE influx of more people. The result is: driving commutes are terrible (often an hour or 2 to cross the river) so people with money have been resettling in NYC. This has been happening for 30 years.

Tenement housing is torn down and developed into multi-million dollar apartments. Low income people are gradually replaced by higher income groups. The result a drastic reduction in violent crime.

One cannot move into the city today unless one has a good job and some spare cash to throw around.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links