Doctors for sensible gun laws - Pro 2A?

This is a discussion on Doctors for sensible gun laws - Pro 2A? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i am sure some of you know of this site. to those that don't it comes from a group that are usually considered to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctors for sensible gun laws - Pro 2A?

Doctors for sensible gun laws - Pro 2A?

i am sure some of you know of this site. to those that don't it comes from a group that are usually considered to be anti.

http://www.dsgl.org/default.htm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

I oppose all sensible gun laws unless I'm the person that gets to decide the definition of sensible.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    This is like the NRA publishing an article about heart surgery.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    This is like the NRA publishing an article about heart surgery.

Did you guys actually read the website? These guys are on our side! Their organization is in opposition to the AMA's anti-gun BS.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I recant... sort of. I assumed that "sensible gun laws" were "sensible" in a Brady Bunch aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by "DSGL.org
    In order to be considered sensible, an existing or proposed gun law must meet the following conditions:

1. A sensible gun law must save more lives than it costs.
    Research shows that guns are used much more often to prevent crimes than they are used to aid crimes. Therefore laws that hinder the ordinary citizen's right to self defense with a firearm tend to cause a net increase in crime.

2. A sensible law must make the best use of scarce public resources.
    For example, the money spent enforcing the law might save more lives if it were invested in other areas, such as medical research, drug treatment programs or voluntary firearms safety training.

3. A proposed gun law must be backed up by good quality, peer reviewed research showing that it meets the above criteria.
    Junk medical science has no place in public policy debates.

4. A sensible law is one that does not weaken our society by inflaming anti-government sentiment.
    Many gun laws raise concern about increasing government control of people's lives and unreasonably limit their constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. This breeds disrespect for the law and for our government.

5. A proposed law should be reviewed by a legislative committee equally represented by both sides of the issue to determine the unintended consequences of that law before it is presented for a final vote.

6. A sensible law must be Constitutional.

Lest anyone say that Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws are a group of extremists who do not support any gun laws, we offer some examples of gun laws that we consider sensible:

* It makes sense to prohibit carrying a gun when visiting a prison inmate or entering a high security military base.
    * It is sensible to prohibit visitors from carrying guns into government facilities that are likely targets of terrorists, such as the White House.
    * Although such measures are usually misguided, we believe that people and businesses have the right to prohibit weapons on their private property and ask violators to leave.
    * We support laws appropriating public funds for voluntary civilian firearms training.
    I more or less approve.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I understand the concept of the article...it sounds OK!

In the real legislative world...it gets abused, and that's why most laws usually hurt the GG...they should just write articles about 'criminal control'...lock 'em up for decades when they use a gun...no parole...no good behavior time...leave the rest of society alone!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Moderator Note:

Sometimes it's helpful to actually click on the provided link and read something there before offering a typed personal opinion. Just a suggestion.
    Please show some respect for the OP who is asking for (what I am guessing) would be intelligent opinion from other forum members.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Moderator Note:

Sometimes it's helpful to actually click on the provided link and read something there before offering a typed personal opinion. Just a suggestion.
    Please show some respect for the OP who is asking for (what I am guessing) would be intelligent opinion from other forum members.
    thank you QK,thats what i meant.
    although,i might have put a better title.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    thank you QK,thats what i meant.
    although,i might have put a better title.
    Tweaked your title a bit. Maybe it's better now, maybe not?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Moderator Note:

"5. A proposed law should be reviewed by a legislative committee equally represented by both sides of the issue to determine the unintended consequences of that law before it is presented for a final vote."

Well, my comment still stands. I actually read it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

http://www.dsgl.org/mission.htm

Our mission is to educate our fellow doctors and their patients, the public, about gun laws that are counterproductive and the deceitful tactics of those who advocate gun control. We offer a healthy dose of common sense to the national gun debate by shedding light on what gun laws are sensible, and which ones most certainly are not.
    Doctors:

1. Need to know that their organizations do not speak for all of them.
    2. Need to know that support is available from their fellow doctors.
    3. Need to know that "junk science" is being used for political gain in many of their organizations.
    4. Need to be reminded of "boundary violations" that can occur for political reasons in their offices.
    5. Need to know the facts about firearms, self defense, the Constitution, freedom and liberty.

Patients:

1. Need to know about "boundary violations" by politically correct doctors.
    2. Need to know about good vs. junk science, and how the latter is used to drive politically correct programs that have serious unintended consequences.
    3. Need to know what to do if their physicians do commit boundary violations.
    4. Need to be reminded of the lessons of history.

The doctors of DSGL will speak out whenever possible to expose the lies, distortions and coldly calculated propaganda tactics of those who ruthlessly attack the self-defense rights of the American people.

Send the Organization an e-mail, thanking them for their support of the 2A.

These individuals are most if not all members of Pro-Gun groups.

As a side note: I remember reading somewhere on here, some one could not afford being a member of the NRA for $25 to $35 a year there is another option without the reading magazine for $10 a year, less than a $1 per month.

GOA is $20 a year. SAF is $15 a year.

80 million or so Gunownwers, with 4 million NRA members, and I do not know the membership numbers of the other groups, but the numbers do not add up anywhere near 80 million members. A few of us carry the load of the 2A for the remaining 80 million.

This next 12 months is critical for Gun owners, SCOTUS possible decision in the next few months and National elections in about 11 months.

Join something or join all, I am not pushing NRA membership other options are GOA,, SAF, and others.

If we could get just half of the Gun owners to join these various groups, that is 40 million members and probably 40 million Pro Gun voters who those that want to be elected and the SCOTUS know actually support the 2A.

I am a member of all 3 above plus more.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I don't know about giving a lot of money to GOA, and SAF.

Those organizations really don't do a lot. IIRC NRA gave a lot of $ to the state of Kansas and Nebraska so that they could get concealed carry( IIRC it was over a million). NRA gives hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money out every single year, to clubs organzinations, and shooting programs all over the nation. Wildlife conservation for hunters. NRA is the only national recognized training regiment in the country. NRA sent Lawyers to the hurricane zone to get clients to file lawsuits against the illegal confiscation of guns in New Orleans.

All this costs money. PLEASE Explain to me why I should give money to GOA or to anybody that has done almost NON of this.

Everybody sees the NRA as a money hole for candidates. When in fact the most of the money doesn't go to candidates, and goes to places where it must go in order to ensure a shooting future. http://www.nrahq.org/youth/

http://www.shootingsportscamp.com/ This is just one youth sports camp that NRA instructors run every year and in one camp it hit over 750 youth, and in one state. Please show me another shooting organinzation that does that nation wide.

They are the only organzation with a department soley devoted to the develepoment of Women and Shooting. http://www.nrahq.org/women/index.asp PS Women deciede whether or not a gun is going to introduced into the house hold.

I could go on, but heres the reality. Most people think one sided on this issue. Whats best for ME ME ME ME, well there are other people out there and other issues that NRA is addressing that GOA, SAF, or other organizations haven't even touched because there only focussing one whats good for them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

"First do no harm" shouldn't apply to doctors only, but to lobbying groups. The NRA has done a lot of harm. In SC, they opposed granting gun range protection to all ranges, preferring to push for only skeet ranges. They opposed carry in restaurants serving alcohol, in schools, and so on. They supported the GCA of 1968, the NFA of 1934, among other things.

So, remind me again what benefit the NRA brings?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I don't know about giving a lot of money to GOA, and SAF.

Those organizations really don't do a lot. IIRC NRA gave a lot of $ to the state of Kansas and Nebraska so that they could get concealed carry( IIRC it was over a million). NRA gives hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money out every single year, to clubs organzinations, and shooting programs all over the nation. Wildlife conservation for hunters. NRA is the only national recognized training regiment in the country. NRA sent Lawyers to the hurricane zone to get clients to file lawsuits against the illegal confiscation of guns in New Orleans.

All this costs money. PLEASE Explain to me why I should give money to GOA or to anybody that has done almost NON of this.

Everybody sees the NRA as a money hole for candidates. When in fact the most of the money doesn't go to candidates, and goes to places where it must go in order to ensure a shooting future. http://www.nrahq.org/youth/

http://www.shootingsportscamp.com/ This is just one youth sports camp that NRA instructors run every year and in one camp it hit over 750 youth, and in one state. Please show me another shooting organinzation that does that nation wide.

They are the only organzation with a department soley devoted to the develepoment of Women and Shooting. http://www.nrahq.org/women/index.asp PS Women deciede whether or not a gun is going to introduced into the house hold.

I could go on, but heres the reality. Most people think one sided on this issue. Whats best for ME ME ME ME, well there are other people out there and other issues that NRA is addressing that GOA, SAF, or other organizations haven't even touched because there only focussing one whats good for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links