Rebuttal To Harvard's 2A Opinion

This is a discussion on Rebuttal To Harvard's 2A Opinion within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A decently written rebuttal to the previously posted opinion by Harvard on the 2A. http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12379...

Thread: Rebuttal To Harvard's 2A Opinion

Rebuttal To Harvard's 2A Opinion

A decently written rebuttal to the previously posted opinion by Harvard on the 2A.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12379

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    What most people don't understand is your dealing with some of the SMARtest DUMB people on the planet. My brother went to Harvard Law. He is now 32, he is a Lawyer for the City of New York. He had a 4.0 in highschool a 4.0 at VA Tech, his worst grade at law school was like the equivalent of an A-. He missed 1 question on the LSAT. I think he scored a 178 out of 180 or something like that.

My parents still will not let Him drive a car!!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    What most people don't understand is your dealing with some of the SMARtest DUMB people on the planet. My brother went to Harvard Law. He is now 32, he is a Lawyer for the City of New York. He had a 4.0 in highschool a 4.0 at VA Tech, his worst grade at law school was like the equivalent of an A-. He missed 1 question on the LSAT. I think he scored a 178 out of 180 or something like that.

My parents still will not let Him drive a car!!!!!!!
    That's pretty bad.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The piece from "The Spectator" is exactly right, and I'm a little bit upset with myself for not acknowledging it in my reply to the original post. The young-and-dumb editors at the Crimson have every right to their ideas & beliefs - no matter how wrong they are - but at least they are setting about trying to accomplish their goals the right way. They aren't trying to pretend the 2nd Amendment means something it doesn't. They accept what it means, they disagree, and they propose changing it. Good for them, for being intelligent enough to at least acknowledge reality.

I fear convincing many/any of them that their desired actions will be totally ineffective, and are down-right dangerous to their own safety, may be an impossible task. But it is easier to argue against someone who accepts reality than it is to argue against someone who doesn't.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Also....
    No serious commentator has argued background checks violate the Second Amendment. Even the National Rifle Association supports them.
    Just because the NRA agrees, that doesn't make it right.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    You disagree on checking the background on possible criminals that may want to get a gun for their nefarious purposes?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If background checks don't matter, then my credit union will loan me a large sum of money without question?

Background checks, not ATF tracing, are legitimate. Establish credibility, then move on.

I have done private sales upon seeing a lifetime carry license in IN ((that is valid, of course) because I want to limit my liability.

Background checks are the responsible thing to do IMO. You only help the 2A and safeguard against a negative incident for the public (people you don't know) and yourself.

Not that I am against background checks, because I'm not, but as counterpoint against myself and others toward those who are against background checks...Why is is that background checks are required for guns but not for automobile or motorcycle licensing?
    Transportation vehicles injure and kill more people including children and babies per annum than firearms do. Check with the CDC 'WISKARS' database for details on both.

People point cars at people all day long everyday and hourly they somewhere for someone get somebody injured or killed.

Just a thought....

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Simply stated, we are responsible people. If it were for me, I'd ban anybody with a history DUI from purchasing even a skateboard and force them to depend on public transportation.

The point is not restricting the weapon but restricting the undeserving individual (AKA Criminal) from getting one just like somebody with a bad driving record gets his license suspended and pays with jail time for violating the restriction.

That more is not being done to curtail bad drivers from killing people does not invalidate our desire to keep criminals from getting guns.

I hope I am making sense here.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Miggy,

IMHO you are making total sense in a sensible and fair and lawful/Constitutional way.
    But then I'm on your side of the fence so I might be biased in my view.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Simply stated, we are responsible people. If it were for me, I'd ban anybody with a history DUI from purchasing even a skateboard and force them to depend on public transportation.

The point is not restricting the weapon but restricting the undeserving individual (AKA Criminal) from getting one just like somebody with a bad driving record gets his license suspended and pays with jail time for violating the restriction.

That more is not being done to curtail bad drivers from killing people does not invalidate our desire to keep criminals from getting guns.

I hope I am making sense here.
    Trust me after listening to all these "SUPER" cases then listening to what constitutes a "RED' Light vs a "GREEN Light" most of us would consider this a "INTERSECTION" or "HIGHWAY"

THATS the problem YOU MAKE SENSE.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Trust me after listening to all these "SUPER" cases then listening to what constitutes a "RED' Light vs a "GREEN Light" most of us would consider this a "INTERSECTION" or "HIGHWAY"

I remember yelling at my brother saying
    ********* you just ran a RED light...

he Stated. "There was an intersection back there?"

VIP Member

Rob! I've never been accused of that!
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Miggy,

IMHO you are making total sense in a sensible and fair and lawful/Constitutional way.
    But then I'm on your side of the fence so I might be biased in my view.

- Janq
    Well that certainly depends if you find background checks to be Constitutional or not.

Like I've said in another thread, background checks don't affect criminals because they steal or buy stolen firearms anyway. Even with private citizens able to sell legally to each other in most states, an astonishing number of firearms used in crimes (read: almost all) are still illegal weapons.

And while you'll probably point out that some of that could just be felons that aren't supposed to have firearms, I'd point out that the background checks still didn't stop them from getting them.

Even in countries with no legal gun ownership, the criminals still get them, so how can anyone possibly claim that background checks do an effective job of stopping criminals from getting guns.

What background checks do do, is cause an inconvenience to private citizens when they are purchasing a firearm. If you like subjecting yourself to that because you feel that it makes a difference, I would ask that you resconsider the parameters of the issue.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Links