Brady Campaign on Omaha and AWB

This is a discussion on Brady Campaign on Omaha and AWB within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...712070371/1011 December 7, 2007 Ask candidates why military guns OK'd for public, advocate urges By TONY LEYS and JASON CLAYWORTH REGISTER STAFF WRITERS Iowans should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brady Campaign on Omaha and AWB

VIP Member

Brady Campaign on Omaha and AWB

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...712070371/1011

December 7, 2007

Ask candidates why military guns OK'd for public, advocate urges

By TONY LEYS and JASON CLAYWORTH
    REGISTER STAFF WRITERS

Iowans should press presidential candidates for their views on assault weapons in light of Wednesday's shopping-mall massacre in Omaha, a national gun-control advocate said Thursday.

Most Democratic candidates support reinstating a federal assault-weapons ban that expired in 2004.

Most Republican candidates oppose reinstating the ban, saying it was ineffective.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said Thursday that the 30-round ammunition clips Robert Hawkins reportedly used in Wednesday's shootings in Omaha would have been illegal to purchase under the assault-weapons ban.

Helmke said it was not clear whether the gun itself, described as an AK-47-style assault rifle, would have been covered by the ban. But it should be illegal, he said.

"If this is something that can take a 30-round clip and fire them off quickly, it should be banned. This is a weapon of mass murder," he said.

Hawkins used the rifle to kill eight people and wound five before killing himself, police said. He reportedly stole the gun from his stepfather.

The assault-weapons ban was passed in 1994 and allowed to lapse a decade later. It covered purchases of specific models of guns and certain accessories, including clips that held more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Helmke said Iowans should demand responses from the presidential candidates campaigning before the caucuses. He said they should ask why Americans are allowed to buy guns designed for the military.

"Basically, should the public be able to get the types of guns we use in Iraq?" he said.

State Rep. Clel Baudler, R-Greenfield, who is a board member of the National Rifle Association, urged people not to rush to judgment while police investigate the Omaha shootings.

Baudler said every time such a tragedy happens, NRA supporters expect to hear calls to toughen gun-control laws.

But he contended that if the killers didn't have guns, they would use another type of weapon.

"When you have a lunatic that's bent on becoming famous and wants to be remembered, you're going to have problems, whether it's a gasoline bomb or any type of device. ... It comes back to the lunatic," he said.

Baudler added that the 30-round clips reportedly used in Omaha take less than two seconds to replace, so a smaller-capacity clip would not have slowed the shooter very much on Wednesday.

Earlier this fall, The Des Moines Register surveyed presidential candidates about their stances on gun control.

Democrats Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd, John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich and Barack Obama said they would support reinstating the assault-weapons ban.

Democrat Bill Richardson and Republicans Mike Huckabee, John McCain, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Tom Tancredo and Fred Thompson said they would not support reinstating the ban.

Several of them said they opposed the ban because they thought it was ineffective.

Republican Rudy Giuliani's campaign declined to specifically answer the question, but Giuliani supported the ban when it was enacted in 1994.

Helmke, the gun-control advocate, said the Republican candidates appear to have more differences over the issue than their Democratic counterparts.

Although they do not talk much about it as candidates, he said, Romney and Giuliani were relatively supportive of gun control in their previous jobs as governor of Massachusetts and mayor of New York City. McCain also has been relatively moderate on some gun-control issues, Helmke added.

He said it was not clear whether other restrictions, such as bans on sales of guns to mentally ill people, would have affected the outcome of Wednesday's shooting.

Reporter Tony Leys can be reached at (515) 284-8449 or tleys@dmreg.com
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Sure didn't take them long...I've read some stuff that the anti's have written it's pretty sick they are almost cheering that this happened.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

The anti's seem to have a see I told you so attitude about this and other shooting incidents. Lets all get together and blame the insturment and not the person benind the incident. Personally I think that we should all sue Henry Ford for inventing the automobile and therefore being responsible for automobile wrecks.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    You don't really think for a second that the Anti's wouldn't jump on this tragedy, to politicize it, to whip up anti-assault weapons...you bet. They want to say I told you so and go on to say I don't want to say I told you so again and again. Being a political year...they have the edge and the media to make gun control a political issue. ONLY the start...curious what united front to blunt these attacks...

Rick

I knew this was coming. It is almost as if you can hear them cheer when something like this happens. They are a sick bunch.

They will never get it. If everyone else at that mall had been armed, that little murderous so and so would have never killed 8 people. And everyone there would have had an equal chance to fight for their lives.

The Brandy Bunch makes me sick. They are cowards and liars.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"our" side is going to have to "get down in the dirt" with the Brady bunch and put OUR message out there BEFORE they get the airtime if we are ever going to win the hearts and minds. We act a bit too gentlemanly in these situations. We sit back...trying to be respectful, but the antis jump up wringing their hands bemoaning the evils of firearms, and the people LISTEN. Especially with the SCOTUS case pending, we've got to step up and meet the challenge.
    We're 8 points behind at the two minute warning. We can win...but it's going to be tough.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Sometimes I wonder if these phycho anti's have already booked their flights before the event occurs.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    We need to emphasize that all these mass shootings are taking place in "Gun Free Zones". Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tolley's (Salt Lake City), Luby's (Texas), Omaha, were are Gun Free Zones.

As long as the law abiding are disarmed and the criminal lunatic is armed, there are going to be shootings such as these.

We also need to make the law makers understand that police, fire and EMS are NOT first responders. The folks at the scene of the incident are the first responders and should be allowed to take appropriate action to contain or end the incident.

Consider this

My humble opinion only however, has anyone considered that the anti gun groups are not only using the "I told you so" but somehow may actually be involved behind the scenes in this type of situation. I fully expect to see more of these type shootings between now and March 2008 (when, I believe SCOTUS is scheduled to hear arguements in the DC case).
    I may a bit paranoid but the extremes that I believe the gun control folks currently in this country will go to scares the hell out of me.
    Just something to ponder as I sit here and watch the snow.
    Respectfully,
    Mike

We need an headline similar to

"Holiday Shoppers Weren't Allowed to Protect Themselves"

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr
    We need to emphasize that all these mass shootings are taking place in "Gun Free Zones". Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tolley's (Salt Lake City), Luby's (Texas), Omaha, were are Gun Free Zones.
    Don't forget the Amish school in Pa.
    We all know these were gun free zones.
    When all your victims are defenseless, it doesn't matter if you have 3 10 round mags or a 30 round mag. The victims are helpless. They can only hide or flee. Fighting back is not an option.
    I feel so bad for the victims. So bad.
    CW
    Last edited by Scott; December 8th, 2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Remember that the biggest/largest number of people murdered in this country was not with firearms, but cow poop when McVeigh blew the federal bldg. in Oklahoma. No 30 round clips, no reload, nor assault weapon, just over 160 people dead.

Why doesn't the Brady Bunch, ask the Dem candidates how much time a BG with a gun should get in jail? Should the death penalty be used on mall shooters, if they live through it?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree we must step up to the plate and defend the BOR. But there has been an urgency in the antis rhetoric for some time now. Well exactly since the terrorist attacks of Sept 11th. They know, as I do, that it's only a matter of time until there is a case of "Sudden Jihadi Syndrome" in a major shopping mall that's packed. The cops or guards either won't be on site or they'll be neutralized as they show up. But somebody, maybe several somebody's with CCW permits and well armed is going to shut down the whole operation. God willing there will be little if any collateral damage and from that moment on it will be the death rattle for public support of gun control legislation except from the whackos who will find themselves marginalized. It's only a matter of time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

"Several of them said they opposed the ban because they thought it was ineffective."
    yea, that and its wrong!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links