No weapons at work

This is a discussion on No weapons at work within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, everbody. I just got home from work today, we had a meeting on business ethics and work place etiquette. We had to watch a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No weapons at work

No weapons at work

Hello, everbody. I just got home from work today, we had a meeting on business ethics and work place etiquette. We had to watch a little video an good business practices and work place rules. No big deal, alot of stuff about not stealing and how to recognize racial and sexual harrassment.

I've seen this before, they update it every couple of years and make us rewatch it. No big deal right? Then i was reading the book that came with it, along with a page at the back that we are supposed to read, acknowledge, and sign. There was one new paragraph that caught my attention. there are no weapons of any kind allowed on the property. Specified as fire arms, even if you are licenced to have one, no knives or any incindeary devices. I

work in a new car dealership, in the service dept as a tech. We are owned buy a very large corp. that owns about 400 dealers around the country. So as I'm going back to my work area, I run into my service manager, he asked if I saw the video. I told him there was a problem. That we had to get rid of all the torches in the shop. I said I had a prob with this and I did not want to give up my torch even thogh it's an incindeary device. Now, he's pretty cool, and knows where I stand on guns and weapons, we've talked alot obout it. He just lloked at me and said " if you have a " torch " in your truck or in your tool box, and I don't know about, I don't care."

So i guess i either leave my 1911 at home most of the time, as well as my benchmade pocket knife, and probably my cig lighter. Or I just be very careful about who knows what about me. Anyone olse deal with this kind of policy? And how do you deal with it? By the way, I still have not sighned the acknowledgment of policy.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'NO KNIVES' in a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's really dumb, just look at all the blunt instruments that can be used as a better weapon than a knife.....If I'm attacked in my garage & I don't have a firearm.....I'm not going for a knife....I'm looking for the nearest ax, hammer, shovel...etc....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'm an automotive service writer. So I understand the types of tools you use/need to do your job properly. I think a funny/interesting thing to do is to find ,and print up all the possible stories you can of wrenchs,hammers, rachets,etc being used as weapons and show your boss and let him know how screwed y'all are b/c all your tools are now banned from the property!

(EDIT: And I do mean ALL your tools are *technically* banned. My expereince with those types of wording is that they like to be very specific about words by choice,yet interestly enough if your specific on what they say, than your tools set,100% are banned.

Wrenches? Duh, blunt object.

Larger rachet Handles? Another duh.

Hammers? Yep.

Airgun? Could be used as a tortue device, I'd define that as a "weapon of a kind".

Torqe sticks?

Sodering Irons? Incindeary?

Does anybody smoke at your shop? No more lighters!

Better not drive your car for that matter, you can use that as a weapon, and there is an incindeary device underneath the hood the burns gasoline.

Have any pens/pencils to fill out paperwork? I'm sure you could poke an eye out,definitely a "kind of weapon".

Paperwork? Oh,watch out for papercuts!

Steel toe'd safety shoes? Oh no! Those could be used as a "kind of weapon" as well.

Don't wear belts on your pants anymore, don't want any of the bosses thikning your going to hang or stranlge a co-worker with that "kind of weapon."

(/sarcasm.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

gun, what gun? i dont know what your talking about

You know what I've done with an air compressor and a screwdriver???
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Not the best situation, but at least you can keep it in your truck. I can't even do that at a high school in FL...
    It does sound like your boss is cool about it though...

Things can always be worse!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I wouldn't make a huge stink about it. Your boss seems to have his head on straight, and it's not illegal for you to keep your "torch" in your truck, so I say keep your mouth shut and don't worry about it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toytek065 View Post
    So i guess i either leave my 1911 at home most of the time, as well as my benchmade pocket knife, and probably my cig lighter. Or I just be very careful about who knows what about me. Anyone olse deal with this kind of policy? And how do you deal with it? By the way, I still have not sighned the acknowledgment of policy.
    Your manager didn't "get" that you were saying that the work in your department can't get done if you all are abiding by the workplace policy??

If I were you, I would not leave the gun at home. If it's a full size 1911, I would switch to something concealable that can be worn in a SmartCarry. I'd suggest a Glock 27 -- that is, unless you can 100% effectively carry the 1911 concealed, without ANY printing, in ALL situations and positions in which you might find yourself during the workday.

How is it that they have not made you sign the policy? Did you slip through the cracks? If you can, just let them forget about it. That could end up protecting you if you are ever caught carrying and they want to fire you.

But I would say CARRY, and KEEP QUIET about it. That also means don't discuss the issue with co-workers, and probably don't go shooting with co-workers, if you were so inclined. Let them forget ALLLLL about you and guns.

I have worked in many industries at many jobs, and have yet to find one where my pocket knives weren't the most vital of tools. This includes working as a service tech at several tire stores and gas stations, and as service and parts department manager at several new car dealerships.

There days I guess I can skip the folder, after all, Mohammed says a box cutter is just as good, and when I need to remove a state inspection sticker, instead of a razor, I probably could just can gnaw it off with my front teeth.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Look at the Wisconsin Governor, Doyle, he's vetoed concealed carry twice now and has not had it overrode.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toytek065 View Post
    He just lloked at me and said " if you have a " torch " in your truck or in your tool box, and I don't know about, I don't care."
    There's a weird little twist in Tennessee law. It states (paraphrasing) that you cannot be prosecuted for defending your life or the lives of others with an illegally-carried weapon.

Your post somehow reminded me of this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My work is the same way. they say no guns or knifes. I carry a knife fairly visable clipped to my pocket. No one has ever said anything. I also carry a S&W 442 in my pocket. No one ever sees that therefore no one has ever said anything. Keep quiet and keep it concealed and you will be fine.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Mine too.....not even allowed to have it on company property. I have to go disarmed from home to work and from work to home. It sucks when I have to run errands after work.

I dont know the situation to well but could you park accross the street or next door? That is not there property? If not Just carry and dont say anything. And is the service and dealer ship owned by the same CO. or is service different co. maybe park in dealers parking lot instead

I drive co truck and not supposed to carry but hey LOL i work in some pretty F***** up areas and am all over the state so no one can tell me that i cannot protect myself.

My life is worth more than my job..
    “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. ”
    http://www.SHTFmilitia.com
    http://FreeMafiaGame.com

This thread reminded me of a similar experience I had when I was in college. I had been working a part-time job for about 6 months or so when the office passed out its new workplace rules, which were the standard CYA-so-our-insurance-will-be-cheaper kinda stuff, no sexual harassment, no racial hating, blah..blah...and toward the bottom of the list...you guessed it...no guns in the workplace... which was .....

...an ARMED SECURITY company!!!!!!

...the inmates truly do run the asylum...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links